Menu

Libraries for E-books

We're expats and a family of serious readers (with Kindles). 

Amazon e-book purchases can get pricey, and I have been using Gutenburg as well as BookBub.  I have a subcription to the--terrific(!)--Free Library of Philadelphia but book selections can be limited.  Are there any other online libraries?

Some online libraries have a feature where you can request the library buy ebooks. My library buys more than 1/2 my requests and I can ask for 5 a week.

When I search, at the bottom of the search results that my library owns, is a button to see more options that I can request a purchase from.

• Like 1

If you have software that masks what country you are in, I think you can download from Google.

If you see something you really want at Google, someone here will usually E-mail it to you. I used to do that a lot for people when I had WiFi.

Now that I am mostly on just a phone and public hotspots, I can't do that as much.

• Like 1

Hunter, thanks so much for these resources!!! I'm good on software for downloads. I have only just clicked on Hoopla ... and I know how I'm going to be spending my evening. Yea!!!

I'm so glad I could help. One of my many library cards includes a subscription to Hoopla that allows 10 downloads a month. They have the Bill Nye videos.

You need to move to Iowa.   :coolgleamA: 

Iowa has the Wilbur system, linking e-resources for all Iowa libraries.

Here's how it works (as I understand it):

Our library purchases e-resources (e-books and audiobooks).  They are shared with the greater population of Iowa (like an e-interlibrary loan), but our community gets first dibs, because we bought them.

Our library may also purchase extra copies of an e-book that they know will be more popular than usual.   Maybe they will purchase 8 extra e-copies of an expected best seller.  These are only for use by our library.

When we download, we get two weeks to finish reading.  No extensions. No renewals.  No late fees.  It disappears off the Nook.

And the tech guy at the library holds monthly sessions to teach anyone how it works.

I can only think that someone, somewhere in government, voted to fund this system to get it off the ground.