Menu

Anyone teaching sewing/drawing classes outside the home

workingmom

I've been approached to start teaching sewing classes at a local art center nearby. The space is nice and they're charging $25 for a 3 hour rental block. Not bad. I already work outside the home part time and homeschool part time (DS go to part time public school). It would be for a hobby but I'd like to make some profit. 

Is it a a pain to transport supplies to and from teaching spaces. Do adults mind having a "supplies" list. I'm thinking for sewing basic stuff but for the journaling/zentangle classes certain pens and papers would be needed.

I don't teach sewing, buy my dd takes a sewing class from a lady who uses space in a church (for free).  She brings three sewing machines (some kids bring their own, but some use hers), along with two sewing boxes, an ironing board, and an iron.  There are between 3 and 5 kids in each class, and the classes last two hours.  She schedules classes about every 3-4 weeks (not weekly).  She charges $18.75  She's been doing it for years, so it's worth it to her, but I think she does it more as a labor of love.  

I taught Kindermusik for a couple years at a church (also free). It required me to transport several large bins of instruments and other materials (it would take about 3 trips to the car to move it all).  It was fun, and not too bad, but I wouldn't want to do it long term.  It would be nice to have a locked cabinet on location where I could store at least some of my stuff.

I am teaching a needlework class. I've found it helpful just to dedicate a plastic bin with a lid and a couple bags. A couple bins would have been better. A checklist taped in the lid to remind me what needs to be in there because I sometimes take stuff out during the week to use at home.

In terms of supplies, I offered to do a group order for my class. Which worked GREAT. I knew all those kids had exactly the right tools to be successful. Those who chose not to order have a miss mosh of stuff and some still don't really have the right supplies with only a few weeks left of class. If you are going the supply list route, I recommend being very specific. I honestly think I might work a supply fee into class cost and work with more experienced people individually if they approach me if I teach this again.

I haven't taught one, but my daughter took a class several years ago. 

It was an art class.  The teacher had a mandatory materials fee of $20 or so.  It included everything that was needed for the class.  A sketch book, pastels, a pencil pouch/box, specific pencils and markers (fine line sharpie etc), erasers, etc.  A few of the things I already had at home, but it was easier for the teacher to just provide exactly what she expected the kids to use and to leave it all with her at the end of class.....so the kids always had what they needed for the next class.  There wasn't any lost supplies that way and no one had to worry about coming to class from anther event, hence leaving things at home without time to retrieve them.

If kids wanted to work on a specific piece of art at home, they could take that piece home at the end of class out of the book, but the book stayed for the next class.