Menu

XPost: Co-Op Class Ideas

I posted this on the logic board and wanted to post here, too.

Would you all mind to help me brainstorm? I need to come up with some ideas for a 30 minute class, meeting only 8 weeks, that is for middle school and high school students. It needs to be something fun and very social in nature.

Thanks!

We don't have a gym. There is a large fellowship hall, but tables and chairs are often set up in a lot of it. We might could take some down.

The classes we have going on already are physical science, literature and composition, and GA history.

Government/Civics group projects and simulations.

I led a Coop Government class a couple years ago.  We had an hour a week.  We did things like mock political advertisements for special interests, debates, mock trial and mock Congress.  I thought it was a lot of fun.

30 minutes would be somewhat short unless people got right into the activities.  If I only had 30 minutes, then I'd need to do a lot more explaining and assigning projects via email.

• Like 1

A class on (mostly) human error disasters based on the book 10 Things Scientists and Mathematicians should know but are never taught.

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Future-Mathematicians-Scientists-Rarely/dp/0967991544

There are plenty of things that can be taught in 30 minute bites. I did this book over one hour classes, but usually covered more than one disaster per class period. Lots of math and science discussion as well as learning about historical disasters.

• Like 1

I didn't see the other post, so forgive me if these are repeats:

- ballroom dance

- games (alternate weeks: a selection of board games/card games that only take 10-30 minutes, alternate with group/party games)

- study hall (with moms to mentor/tutor/answer questions)

- art

- chorus

- yearbook

- do a 30-minute volunteer project/community service project a week:

1. for military or elderly in nursing homes or homeless or hospital patients with no family:

a. write letters or make cards

b. put together care packages (during the week, collect lots of items, then assemble and package during the 30 minutes)

c. make no-sew fleece blankets

2. for a crisis pregnancy center or low-income single mom ministry:

make no-sew baby gifts

3. for the church facility where you meet:

a. yard work

b. sanitize toys in the nursery

c. clean the kitchen and bathrooms

4. for a food pantry/food bank:

collect canned goods in the neighborhood of the facility (one week go house to house and at each door, leave a flyer stapled to a bag on the door with date/time of pick-up that they can set outside for you; next week come back and collect and leave a tax receipt)

5. for a nursing home:

for 4 weeks, practice some songs, skits, etc., and then on a Saturday, go to a nursing home and perform and spend time chatting with residents; do it again with new songs, instrumental performances, skits, etc. for another visit at the end of the next 4 weeks 

• Like 2

Lori, I love the service project idea!

Our big homeschool group of youth (grades 6-12) does a monthly community service project, and the students really enjoy it and socialize a lot while doing it. :) The students plan and execute the project themselves, with a few adults in the background for guidance.

The grade 3-5 and the grade K-2 students each have their own monthly service project they can be a part of, planned by the moms. It's a great way of making community service and volunteering a natural habit for the students. :)

Each of those is separate and meets on their own day -- whatever works best for the group. I just tried to put down some of the things the different groups have done that could be done at your location and in 30 minutes. :)

• Like 1

Here are a couple of ideas....
You could do a couple of Math Circles, Spy Academy (history of espionage, forensics and cryptography), electronics(Make Electronics book was our curriculum), programming in Scratch or Python, Architecture,  MythBuster class, composition/writing and poetry class.

30 minutes is a short time!

Career class - arrange two career presenters a week?

Social Skills class (only titled in a more interesting way) - playing group games, etiquette, netiquette, how to plan group outings or game nights?

Cuisine class - explore ethnic foods and culture (you'd have to prepare food in advance)?

Mini Toast Masters - speech (extemporaneous)?