Menu

Favorite Advent resources for adults?

Melinda in VT

I'm looking for something to help me get more deeply into the spirit of Advent. Books, apps, podcasts are all good.

I'm currently attending an Episcopalian church. I like traditional worship and liberal, radically inclusive theology.

This is just for me. The rest of my family considers Sunday church attendance and our family wreath to be more than enough of an Advent celebration.

What are you planning to do this year?

Ooooh, Oh!  Me, me! I got the answer!! :hurray:

Google Matthew Kelly "Best Advent Ever".  It's an email thing.  He'll send you an email each day with a short video, or short reading, etc.  Totally Free.  If you haven't heard of Matthew Kelly yet, you're gonna love him. 

• Like 1

Ooooh, Oh!  Me, me! I got the answer!! :hurray:

Google Matthew Kelly "Best Advent Ever".  It's an email thing.  He'll send you an email each day with a short video, or short reading, etc.  Totally Free.  If you haven't heard of Matthew Kelly yet, you're gonna love him. 

I'll try it. Thank you!

I'm an Episcopalian as well. I've used material from Joan Chittester (she's Catholic, a progressive Benedictine nun). Here is a link to her Advent materials. Also, take a look at the resources from the brothers at the Society of St. John the Evangelist (in Cambridge, MA); they are Episcopalian monks. You might also look at Occupy Advent. There is also The Advent Conspiracy (which also has a FB group). If you're on FB, you might also look at the pages for "Unapologetically Episcopalian" and "The Episcopal Church." Undoubtedly, they will have some timely materials. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

ETA: Not specifically for Advent, but the writings of Bishop Steven Charleston are outstanding. He is Choctaw and the retired Bishop of Alaska. 

I'm an Episcopalian as well. I've used material from Joan Chittester (she's Catholic, a progressive Benedictine nun). Here is a link to her Advent materials. Also, take a look at the resources from the brothers at the Society of St. John the Evangelist (in Cambridge, MA); they are Episcopalian monks. You might also look at Occupy Advent. There is also The Advent Conspiracy (which also has a FB group). If you're on FB, you might also look at the pages for "Unapologetically Episcopalian" and "The Episcopal Church." Undoubtedly, they will have some timely materials. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

ETA: Not specifically for Advent, but the writings of Bishop Steven Charleston are outstanding. He is Choctaw and the retired Bishop of Alaska.

Lots here, and it all looks interesting. Thanks!