Menu

which game? opinions needed.

ProudGrandma

if you have played or have these games....please give me your opinions for our family...3 kids ages 11, 13, 15. 

Pandemic

Munchkin (one of the reviews I read said there were some curse words and characters inappropriately dressed....what does that mean?  Did someone overreact or is it a big deal?)

221B Baker Street

7 Wonders

thanks.

Are these the only ones we can pick from?  Do you like cooperative or competitive?  Does it matter how long it takes to play the game?

We like Pandemic a lot, but it's not a game we go to over and over, kwim?  Munchkin is very stab-your-friend-in-the-back-y.  LOL  I haven't played the other two.  These are all very different kinds of games!  :)

the reason I listed only these games is because I am looking at a sale on target.com (buy 2 games and get one free) but it's only certain games.  My boys each happened to have 2 games from the list on their Christmas lists, so I went looking at games of similar price...and these were the ones that we either didn't have...or looked remotely interesting.  So, might there be more choices, I am sure, but maybe I just don't know enough about other games...but this is the reason for the list.

it appears that Munchkin isn't the game for us....we just don't have that sort of sense of humor.  thanks for those opinions.

Pandemic - great game, great expansions, takes a nice amount of time to play, good for different numbers in a group, probably the best cooperative game of all time for adults and teens

7 Wonders - this is my favorite and I love the strategy behind it and how complex it can be, time is okay - can feel a little long, I haven't played the expansions but I suspect they don't add as much as the Pandemic ones, this game is best with at least five players - that's the big drawback - you can't play with two people and playing with only three isn't really any fun once you've gotten the gist of the game.

Munchkin - We have one of the other versions, but I've played the original a couple of times. It's "medieval" fantasy themed so some people are scantily clad I guess, but they're such dopey cartoon characters that applying the word "inappropriate" to them seems really stupid to me personally. I don't remember any swears, but I've never read through every card - there's some silly text and extra rules on them, so I guess it's possible there's some bad words. I really like this one, but it's super silly. It's hard to get too competitive with it because your fortunes can swing pretty wildly, which is a plus sometimes and a minus others (depends on the mood you're in for what sort of game). It's a longer game. Sometimes play can feel slow.

I've never played Baker Street.

221B Baker Street has been around for a very long time...my hubby played it in his childhood and we have that copy on our shelf.   We have enjoyed it as a family.  It is "clue-ish" in the sense that you collect clues to solve a mystery, but the game play is a bit different from clue.  If you are looking for a more classic game it is worth a look, but if you already have Clue or something similar, you may want to try something different.

Munchkin holds a special place in my heart. When I encounter people who are a bit worried about spending several hours learning the rules of a game, I break out Munchkin or the Munchkin version. It tends to makes the transition easier. We have kids as young as 6 okay Munchkin without issue. 

The other games are fine, just be aware of expansions. You can buy a game now but do not be shocked if you keep spending money on expansions.