Menu

Possibly changing or altering curriculum

Hi!  I have an 8th grader and we’ve been using Heart of Dakota ( more Charlotte Mason, than classical)  ever since 3rd grade.  I had planned in using World Geography guide for 9th grade but I am feeling unsure.  My son wants to have a chance to college sport and I fear some of the courses will not be approved by NCAA or NAIA. ( Btw, awesome thread about that on here, still reading through it)   If they look at each book individually, most of it is marked 12 years old and up.  The guidelines are that the material is college prep and at High School level.  

Additionally, we’re in California and he  does not want to eliminate the possibility of attending a public university. None of the UC’s accept curriculum that is not on their approved list. He’d  have to score well on SATS or I’d have him take subjects SAT’s to validate his transcripts.

I had my heart set on him taking World Geography and World Religions before World History. I am starting to think I have become too attached to a box curriculum and don’t know to homeschool without it.   A possibility would be supplement my plans with an AP World Geography textbook or use as main spine.   I am scared of adding too much reading to an already full day.

I like what I see at Veritas Press, Omnibus Self Paced courses!  I don’t think any sporting organization would not consider that college prep.  I am feeling drawn to classical approach, feeling unsure if we could pull it off. Any advice?

I don't have any advice per se since I'm not from CA and I don't know anything about the NCAA. There are others on this board who are waaaaaay more qualified than me to do that. :) Hopefully one of them will chime in.

But I just wanted to encourage you that I'm sure you could pull it off. You can read The Well Trained Mind and follow it to the letter or you can follow it loosely and add and/or subtract as you see fit (that's what I do). You could even not read it at all and still give your child a great education, but don't tell anyone here I said so. ;) And you have several months yet to research and figure things out before high school. For some of us, planning it is half the fun! LOL But if planning and tweaking is not your thing, there are several great college prep options out there that do most of the planning for you. You definitely can do it if you want to! Good luck!

Hi!  I have an 8th grader and we’ve been using Heart of Dakota ( more Charlotte Mason, than classical)  ever since 3rd grade.  I had planned in using World Geography guide for 9th grade but I am feeling unsure.  My son wants to have a chance to college sport and I fear some of the courses will not be approved by NCAA or NAIA. ( Btw, awesome thread about that on here, still reading through it)   If they look at each book individually, most of it is marked 12 years old and up.  The guidelines are that the material is college prep and at High School level.  

Additionally, we’re in California and he  does not want to eliminate the possibility of attending a public university. None of the UC’s accept curriculum that is not on their approved list. He’d  have to score well on SATS or I’d have him take subjects SAT’s to validate his transcripts.

I had my heart set on him taking World Geography and World Religions before World History. I am starting to think I have become too attached to a box curriculum and don’t know to homeschool without it.   A possibility would be supplement my plans with an AP World Geography textbook or use as main spine.   I am scared of adding too much reading to an already full day.

I like what I see at Veritas Press, Omnibus Self Paced courses!  I don’t think any sporting organization would not consider that college prep.  I am feeling drawn to classical approach, feeling unsure if we could pull it off. Any advice?

How do they know which books you actually use? If they don't, it is just what you tell them, I would do what I wanted at home and tell them what they want to hear to qualify him for the sports.

• Like 1

How do they know which books you actually use? If they don't, it is just what you tell them, I would do what I wanted at home and tell them what they want to hear to qualify him for the sports.

Seriously? You're suggesting she lie about it? I'm hoping she has too much integrity for that. 

OP, I don't know enough about HOD to give you any helpful advice. I would make sure that you at least supplement with books that are clearly high school level to get through the NCAA paperwork. 

• Like 3

They ask for a list with IsBN numbers etc and a copy of his transcripts. We homeschool under a private school and they do wonderful job with transcripts. I believe Heart of Dakota is rigorous and high school level, but because the author pools various resources and real books ( not textbooks) opinions can be subjective. It's not clearly marked HS. A Christian worldview is important to me, so I'm not interested in just using Ap textbooks to pass a test. I'm reading Well Trained Mind right now!

Seriously? You're suggesting she lie about it? I'm hoping she has too much integrity for that. 

OP, I don't know enough about HOD to give you any helpful advice. I would make sure that you at least supplement with books that are clearly high school level to get through the NCAA paperwork. 

Yes, I am. UCs are public schools. My tax dollars pay for them. California public schools are not teaching gold. Many public school teachers do not even stick to the books, but have to list which books they use. That is actually very common. Private schools usually do not have to list their adopted textbooks, but I am unsure if they have to in CA. No one should be kept from a state university that is supported by tax dollars because the state lists one book and they used a different one. Sheesh. Call it lie if you wish. Heck, purchase the book you don't like and stick it on your shelf and then teach what you want and how you want. That is how it is done in many public school classrooms. Glance back at the book ever so often to see if you covered the general topics, just in your own way.  Integrity? This has nothing to do with integrity. What is the integrity of saying a child cannot play a sport unless they read books XYZ if and only if they are home schooled, otherwise, they do whatever they want? We are not talking about integrity here, we are talking about playing the game of NCAA qualification.

• Like 3

Yes, I am. UCs are public schools. My tax dollars pay for them. California public schools are not teaching gold. Many public school teachers do not even stick to the books, but have to list which books they use. That is actually very common. Private schools usually do not have to list their adopted textbooks, but I am unsure if they have to in CA. No one should be kept from a state university that is supported by tax dollars because the state lists one book and they used a different one. Sheesh. Call it lie if you wish. Heck, purchase the book you don't like and stick it on your shelf and then teach what you want and how you want. That is how it is done in many public school classrooms. Glance back at the book ever so often to see if you covered the general topics, just in your own way.  Integrity? This has nothing to do with integrity. What is the integrity of saying a child cannot play a sport unless they read books XYZ if and only if they are home schooled, otherwise, they do whatever they want? We are not talking about integrity here, we are talking about playing the game of NCAA qualification.

It is about integrity when you advocate the parent should actively misrepresent, i.e. lie about, the curriculum used. Not only does this do a grave disservice to the homeschooling community (even wonder why some admissions officials distrust homeschoolers?), but it also sends the very questionable message to the teenage student that the end justifies the means and that it is OK to be dishonest if one disagrees with a rule or policy, so one can obtain what one wants.

I would not want to burden my child with the knowledge that his college acceptance was a result of me lying on the application and misrepresenting the details of his home education. I hope by that age my kids have developed a strong enough character to find this very notion distasteful.

YMMV.

• Like 9

I don't know anything about the public universities in CA, but I have had numerous conversations with the folks at the NCAA. If the official guidelines in the material you are using state that the program is high school level and college prep, you will be fine with the NCAA. Also, you don't have to worry about every single class meeting the NCAA guidelines as the NCAA is really only interested in the core classes.

Good luck!

Thank you for all the responses!  Yes, I only have to worry about core classes, but  I am worried about History/Social Studies. If they don’’t approve these,  he would not meet all of the requirements.  Everything else, I don’t think it will come into question. I plan to use Saxon or Foersters for Algebra,  BJU/Dive for Science,  BJU for Literature.

Here are the 2 course descriptions that I am unsure if will be considered High School level.   I’d love opinions! I am open using something else, we’ve loved using HOD!  I’ve been looking at Veritas Press Omnibus 1, primary and secondary & it all looks so rigorous.

These are two courses I am questioning:

World Geography- click to see books.  Website says High School guide, but for  ages 13-15

This World Geography course provides students with a chronological overview of geography based upon the history of exploration, discovery, and mapmaking, starting with ancient cultures and ending with the exploration of the polar regions. As part of this course, students examine archaeological reconstructions and maps of places from the past; study the routes and discoveries of famous explorers; become familiar with various people, places, environments, and cultures; learn about methods and tools geographers use in research; and locate ancient, archaeological, architectural, natural, and technological wonders. Students also create a map of the world from memory to gain geographic knowledge as they retell the history of mapmaking, starting with the cartography of Greece and ending with the mapping of Antarctica. Students earn one full credit in World Geography upon completion of this course. 

World Religion & Cultures Course Description: - 

This World Religion & Culture’s course provides students with an overview of 8 of the world’s major religions, including Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Daoism, Shinto, Islam, and Christianity. Students learn about the important beliefs, practices, and rituals in each religion and become acquainted with the basic answers each religion gives to life’s fundamental questions. As students compare the religions of the world and wrestle with the question, “But Don’t All Religions Lead to God?†they learn to engage people of other faiths, while better understanding their own Christian faith. An understanding of the ways in which values, traditions, and religious beliefs are reflected in various cultures, helps students gain a better understanding of their own culture. Students earn 1â„2 credit in World Religion & Cultures upon completion of this course. 

World Geography- click to see books.  Website says High School guide, but for  ages 13-15

I haven't done it, but I have read in previous threads about NCAA where poster(s) mentioned having trouble with NCAA approval on a class that was described on the publisher's site as 8-9th grade or something similar. (I followed all the NCAA threads for a few year because dd considered NCAA athletics. She has now decided against it, so I'm not up to date and can't quote.) All that to say, that age range listing may throw a red flag. When I look at it, I don't recognize most of the books, but We did use Mapping the World by Art for dd in 7th grade. I loved it, but wouldn't have considered it high school. I didn't look up any of the other books to check level, but I do think this course could get flagged.

Again, just at a quick glance, I think the books in the World Religions class look more high school level. I didn't look up all those I didn't know, but to me, this one looks like an easier pass.

I would talk to someone at NCAA. Follow Sue in St. Pete's info and get someone to discuss these with you so that if there is any issue, you can fix it.

I have no NCAA advice, but I think I would rather keep something I like and works well for my student and just add a highschool level Geography text to it, than completely chuck the program to try something you're unsure about implementing, or thinking it might not be a good fit for your student (if that's the case.) 

• Like 1