Menu

Watching Broadchurch- British law question

Renthead Mommy

So I binge watched Broadchurch while working on christmas sewing stuff (and was really unhappy to learn Netflix only had season one on instant!).  But when it got to the point of going to trial, the family of the victim was told they will need a really good lawyer to prosecute the case?  In UK, it is he responisblity of the victim to hire a prosecutor? The state doesn't do that? What if the victim can't afford that, or the victim has no family?  

So I binge watched Broadchurch while working on christmas sewing stuff (and was really unhappy to learn Netflix only had season one on instant!). But when it got to the point of going to trial, the family of the victim was told they will need a really good lawyer to prosecute the case? In UK, it is he responisblity of the victim to hire a prosecutor? The state doesn't do that? What if the victim can't afford that, or the victim has no family?

Can you find me a clip of that scene? Prosecution is normally a public matter, under the Crown Prosecution Service, so I don't quite know what was meant.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/about/

I don't think they hired her so much as asked her to come out of retirement? Maybe I'm misremembering, I only watched S2 once. Which is still very different from what would happen here, because prosecutors are elected or appointed. I would think if a victim's family here asked a prosecutor to un-retire to try a case, it would end in a mistrial.

Side note: It looks like filming for the third series was pushed back to next summer. Too long!

Can you find me a clip of that scene? Prosecution is normally a public matter, under the Crown Prosecution Service, so I don't quite know what was meant.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/about/

I don't have clip.   But they asked her to come out of retirement/LOA to try this case because they needed someone good because it was going to be a difficult case.  You link sounds basically like what we have here with the district attorney office.  It was just odd on the show because they went to her and asked her to come back and take on the case.  We don't get to pick and choose who tries our cases, it is just whatever DA gets it assigned in the DA's office.

When is Broadchurch Season 2 going to be available on Netflix? DH and I both loved season 1. 

They have season two now.  But Season Three got pushed back because the actress who plays Ellie just had a baby. 

• Like 1

I found this:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-14/broadchurch-legal-what-does-a-real-criminal-barrister-think-of-the-court-drama

Scroll down to "We Choose You" to find the answer but I found the entire article interesting.

Interesting.  And when the parking scene played I laughed and said "yeah right, like there would be a spot right there!"  Good to know I'm on the same page as the article! LOL!