Menu

What do you do after FLL 4?

hmschooling

Are there other programs that continue on with picture study, dictation/narration, memorization, in 5th grade+ other than PLL/ILL? I plan to do Applications of Grammar by CLP in 7th or 8th. So I need something with a similar feel to FLL for 5th, 6th and maybe 7th.

I like R&S though. We used it in 2nd and part of 3rd. I just like the CM/Classical approach of FLL.

How does it compare to R&S? FLL? Is there poetry, dictation, etc in it at all? I really like BJU...we've used some of their other subjects.

I should have mentioned this earlier, just as an option to a packaged program for these things. You can use R&S, and add in your own dictation, poetry, picture study, narrations, etc., too. This is what we do here. I used WTM as a guide to help me figure out how to do this. Then again, some people don't like to piece things together, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

How does it compare to R&S? FLL? Is there poetry, dictation, etc in it at all? I really like BJU...we've used some of their other subjects.

BJ English does not have poetry memorization or dictation. It focuses on grammar and writing. Another LA approach is Queen homeschool. She focuses on a Charlotte Mason approach to LA that uses dictation, narration and poetry, however I think its kind of weak in grammar in the older grades, which is why I went with Bob Jones. BJ is strong in grammar plus it has nice colored pictures through 6th grade. Past 7th grade its less pictures, but BJ still does a good job at teaching grammar and writing skills.

So, what are the recs for 5th/6th grade in TWTM?

Lisa: I like the look of Queens. Like you said though, it can be a bit weak.

Personally, with 3 kids I just don't want to have to mix and match for the grammar, dict/narr., poetry...I just want it all in there. So, Queens fits the bill nicely.

Here's my tentative plan: (cut and paste so also included are other LA)

Although Queens is a bit weak in grammar in the older grades, it is something that will allow my kids to begin their transition to more independant learning while following a familiar set of tasks. I believe improve upon their knowledge or at least maintain it. I chose a higher level for 6th grade to try to make up for the weakness- trying to keep it from being too easy or too difficult. 7th grade starts the heavy duty grammar with a (hopefully) much more independant learner. Let me know if you have any thoughts on my plans! :bigear:

K3- LeapFrog DVD's; Prewriting

K4- Phonics & Reading Pathways; Prewriting/Handwriting

K5- Phonics & Reading Pathways; Handwriting HWT?

1st- Phonics & Reading Pathways if needed, WWE1

2nd- FLL1; Prima Latina; WWE2; AAS1; EFRU

3rd- FLL2; LC1; WWE3; AAS2; EFRU; MFW cursive kit or HWT 3

4th- FLL3; LC1; WWE4; AAS3; EFRU

5th- FLL4; LC2; WWE5; AAS4; EFRU

6th- QLL for Secondary Students Vol. 2, LC2; WWE6; AAS5; EFRU; 1PPG

7th- CLP Applications of Grammar 1; Latin ?; WWE7; AAS 6; EFRU; 2 PPG

8th- Advanced Grammar "Mechanics" and "Clauses and Phrases" (from garlicpress.com); Latin?; WWE8; EFRU; 2 PPG

9th-12th- All LA included in MFW High School Plans

----------------------------------------------------

FLL- First Language Lessons

WWE- Writing With Ease

AAS- All About Spelling

LC- Latina Christiana

QLL- Queens Language Lessons

PPG- Progeny Press Guides

CLP- Christian Liberty Press

HWT- Handwriting Without Tears

EFRU- English From Roots Up -cycle through Greek and Latin in V1 and V2

So, what are the recs for 5th/6th grade in TWTM?

Grammar: R&S seems to be the top pick

Writing: R&S, Writing Strands, IEW seem to be the top picks. Also, 1st and 2nd level outlining (learned in R&S or other outlining programs) in history and science. Also, continued narrations in history, science, and literature. Also, dictation from history, science, or literature.

Other: poetry/lit. passage memorization

As far as the outlining, are there stand alone programs to teach this? I hear that Intermediate LL (follow up to PLL) teaching a great deal of outlining. I'm not so good at it or I'd teach it myself.

If we finish FLL 4 in 5th grade, if I went with R&S, would I go to R&S 5 or 6 for 6th grade. (Not sure how the two compare to know which grade to go to.)

I could always access ILL online (google books) and do the outlining lessons from there without spending money.

As far as the outlining, are there stand alone programs to teach this? I hear that Intermediate LL (follow up to PLL) teaching a great deal of outlining. I'm not so good at it or I'd teach it myself.

If we finish FLL 4 in 5th grade, if I went with R&S, would I go to R&S 5 or 6 for 6th grade. (Not sure how the two compare to know which grade to go to.)

I could always access ILL online (google books) and do the outlining lessons from there without spending money.

*Probably* R&S 5, but I think you'd have to wait and see what's in FLL 4 before you decide if it prepares a student for R&S 5 or 6. Also, *I* tried to start R&S 6 myself, and dropped back to level 5 - I needed the background of 5.

Outlining....Something from Remedia is recommended in WTM, but I've seen on these boards that it's out of print. You could search the boards for Remedia outlining, and see what other substitutes others have found for this.

okay, I think I've got our plan to a point that I like. I've used all the wonderful advice from all of you, plus answers to my other posts, and those of others.

So, here's our plan now :) (still with add'l info since it's cut and paste)

:thumbdown: or :thumbup1: ??

1st- Phonics Pathways if needed; PLL 2; WWE1

2nd- PLL 3 ; Prima Latina; WWE2; AAS1; EFRU

3rd- FLL3; LC1; WWE3; AAS2; EFRU; MFW cursive kit or HWT 3

4th- FLL4; LC1; WWE4; AAS3; EFRU; Remedia Outling Gr. 3-4

5th- Mother Toungue (CanonPress); LC2; WWE5; AAS4; EFRU; Remedia Outlining Gr. 5-8; AmblesideOnline pic study; The Harp and Laurel Wreath: Poetry and Dictation for the Classical Curriculum

6th- R&S 6; LC2; WWE6; AAS5; EFRU; 1PPG; AmblesideOnline pic study; Con't Poetry Book

7th- Applications of Grammar 1; Latin ?; WWE7; AAS 6; EFRU; 2 PPG; AmblesideOnline pic study; Con't Poetry Book

8th- "Mechanics" and "Clauses and Phrases" (garlicpress.com); Latin?; WWE8; EFRU; 2 PPG; AmblesideOnline pic study; Con't Poetry Book

Other Books worth having:

A Child's Anthology of Poetry by Elizabeth Hauge

Book of Greek Myths for the Very Young

WWE- Writing With Ease

AAS- All About Spelling

LC- Latina Christiana

EFRU- English From Roots Up

okay, I think I've got our plan to a point that I like. I've used all the wonderful advice from all of you, plus answers to my other posts, and those of others.

5th- Mother Toungue (CanonPress); LC2; WWE5; AAS4; EFRU; Remedia Outlining Gr. 5-8; AmblesideOnline pic study; The Harp and Laurel Wreath: Poetry and Dictation for the Classical Curriculum

6th- R&S 6; LC2; WWE6; AAS5; EFRU; 1PPG; AmblesideOnline pic study; Con't Poetry Book

7th- Applications of Grammar 1; Latin ?; WWE7; AAS 6; EFRU; 2 PPG; AmblesideOnline pic study; Con't Poetry Book

8th- "Mechanics" and "Clauses and Phrases" (garlicpress.com); Latin?; WWE8; EFRU; 2 PPG; AmblesideOnline pic study; Con't Poetry Book

WWE- Writing With Ease

AAS- All About Spelling

LC- Latina Christiana

Looks fine to me! I'm not familiar with everything there, but I can see that you have grammar, writing, poetry, and pic study for all the years, as well as the outlining book. Looks like you included everything you wanted.

And I can't wait til SWB's new writing book comes out, too!

WWE- Writing With Ease

AAS- All About Spelling

LC- Latina Christiana

My only comment is that I don't think it will take you a whole year to do AAS 1 if your dc are firmly grounded in phonics with Phonics Pathways and are good readers. My 5 year old DS started Level 1 only 3 weeks ago and is already on Step 15 (of 24). You might find that AAS will go faster than one level each year.

Here is my plan (feedback is welcome): I really wanted to do The Latin Road to English, which TWTM says is great for Latin, but not to replace formal grammar. I thought it would be overkill with a traditional grammar program with work everyday, so AG with 8-10 weeks of work for the year, then once a week review seems like a good mix.

5th: Analytical Grammar

10 full weeks

WWE5

6th: Analytical Grammar

9 full weeks

The Latin Road1

WWE6

8th Analytical Grammar

9 full weeks

The Latin Road1

WWE

9th Analytical Grammar

9 full weeks

The Latin Road2

WWE

10th College Grammar

The Latin Road2

WWE

11th College Writing

The Latin Road3

12th College Spanish

The Latin Road3

We are planning to skip 7th grade. Yes, I am sure my 1st grader will be in college level work at 15. :lol: