Menu

"Why would I be embarrassed?"

Squawky Acres

DD8 threw up at swim lessons yesterday in front of her class (too much Halloween candy combined with swallowing a lot of pool water during her laps).  When I picked her up early from the pool, I found that she was not mortified, as I expected.  She was happy with herself for managing to wait until she got to the pool deck, and even thought the situation was funny.  I was shocked, and couldn't help myself from exclaiming about how proud I was that she was handling it so well and was not embarrassed.  She looked puzzled, and asked, "Why would I be embarrassed?  I didn't throw up on purpose."

This is a highly sensitive and perceptive child, but I see now that she has been allowed a lot of freedom from social pressure by being homeschooled.  If the other children in her swim class were laughing, she laughed along with them because throwing up during swim lessons is funny.  It didn't occur to her that anyone might be laughing *at* her.  I love her confidence and the freedom she has to be herself.  It's freedom every child has, of course; but I found it was more difficult to understand that in a public school setting when I was her age. 

• Like 38

Throwing up after a race is the mark of extra effort to my DS. Instead of embarrassed, he's always felt proud of himself. :)

I don't think it's a homeschool thing, though, as much as as a recognition of his own hard work. :)

And a bit of the child's personality.  I've got a kid like that.

• Like 3

My oldest is like this. He's so confident and just doesn't worry about what others think. He is so polar opposite of me I can't wrap my mind around him. My youngest is more like me and my heart breaks for him because I've never felt comfortable with who I am. The only times I've seen my oldest lack confidence was the year he was in school (a private Christian school). Kids often laughed at him for not being the most athletically inclined. I'm glad he quickly resorted back to his old self when he came home again.

• Like 3

I remember kids laughing at every little difference at school -- and taking it so personally.  I realize now that little kids are not trying to be evil and destroy one's self-confidence.  They probably laughed just because they were kids and were insecure and did not have good manners.  I'm sure my parents tried to explain this, but it is so difficult to understand as a small child with such a narrow life experience

My kids have not had this problem so far, which I count as one of our greatest successes at homeschooling.  They have an amazing confidence and ability to deal with other children in a mature way.

• Like 3

Good for your dd. Might also be a good swim instructor you have there. Sounds like she might have praised your dd for making it out of the pool. (If she hadn't, it would have made them close it for quite a while.) It's something that happens quite frequently at swim lessons!

Oh, really?  This happens frequently?  Maybe it wasn't the candy, then.  Yes, I am so thankful she did not throw up in the pool and make the children in the next period of swim classes miss their lessons!  We remember being so disappointed one evening when the waterslides at our hotel were closed because someone had a potty accident.

My older would be mortified. My little would not be embarrassed and she has been hit over the head with social conventions by the YMCA, Parks and Rec, the Germans, the British, the Americans, the Chinese, public school, private school, private lessons, you name it. Her motto seems to be "I'm awesome and you can deal with it." Works for her most of the time and for me only occasionally...

• Like 1

Oh, really?  This happens frequently?  Maybe it wasn't the candy, then.  Yes, I am so thankful she did not throw up in the pool and make the children in the next period of swim classes miss their lessons!  We remember being so disappointed one evening when the waterslides at our hotel were closed because someone had a potty accident.

Oh yes! With the littles, it is usually swallowing too much water. Nerves don't help, of course. But, generally, it is just the water. I'm sure candy didn't help either. :laugh: :lol:

• Like 1

Oh yes! With the littles, it is usually swallowing too much water. Nerves don't help, of course. But, generally, it is just the water. I'm sure candy didn't help either. :laugh: :lol:

I think this was a lesson for her.  She says she is tired of the taste of candy and that next Halloween, she will just eat one candy per day.

I find, and have been told by a lifeguard that the rule, "Don't eat an hour before going in the pool" is so that kids who swallow water and cough/spit/vomit it out wouldn't bring up food with the water. 

The not eating before hand worked for us because the few times my boys spat/coughed on water nothing extra came up with it. 

• Like 1