Menu

Derek Owen calculus

We used DO Physics, but I imagine it is similar.  You can get an idea from the syllabus.

Calculus Syllabus

Calculus Sample Lectures

Ds would generally watch the videos a few times a week and be working on homework, labs, and tests the remaining days of the week.  He spent about an hour a day 5 days per week.  But, that was 9th grade physics and not (I assume) 12th grade calculus.

• Like 1

D can get through each week's videos, practice problems, and homework in less than five hours a week (from the suggested syllabus). Any additional problems at the end of the section or chapter (pulled from past AP exams and practice books) take another hour or so, depending on how many problems there are. Sometimes she does them all; sometimes she does only selected problems if they are repetitive.

• Like 2

His courses are self-paced. The course syllabus is used as a guide and you may follow it as written, but if the student wants to move a bit faster, you may do that as well (ie. doing syllabus weeks 1 and 2 in one week). My oldest son did Physical Science and Algebra 1 with Derek Owens, and both times, he moved faster than what the syllabus suggested. Which was good for me since it cost $58/month. So the quicker he accomplished it, the cheaper for me (You pay monthly).

• Like 1

When my daughter had a head injury mid-year, and had to take a month off school, I let Derek know. He didn't charge me for that month (though I did not ask for that!) I thought that was nice.

We started August 1, took December off, and finished in May.  Same thing - we did not pay for December.

I know this is totally OT...I just wanted to add a plug for Derek as a person. He is one of the nicest we've had the pleasure to know and learn from. I miss him. :001_wub:

:iagree:

• Like 1

I know this is totally OT...I just wanted to add a plug for Derek as a person. He is one of the nicest we've had the pleasure to know and learn from. I miss him. :001_wub:

Agreeing with this.  He is so kind, gracious, helpful and personable.  Both ds and I miss him this year. :-(

• Like 1

My son did his AP calc and tested in to Calc 2 at his engineering school.  So, we obviously love his classes!  And, my kids spend about an hour a day on his courses.  Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.  And, if you ever have a question for him, video message him!  He'll send you a video back with a response.  

• Like 2

And my daughter started Precalculus last August, and left for France in February, but had not finished the class.  Derek told us we had paid for the whole course so she could restart when she returned in August for no charge.  He was always helpful. She'll start back up with precalc soon, when she has her AP classes under control. She'll be doing Physics with him also.