Menu

Baby Shower Question

JumpyTheFrog

In my experience, showers at restaurants are order-off-the-menu, pay-for-yourself events. However, customs may be different in your area. I definitely would be prepared to pay for myself, and I'd expect to order off the menu. If you're uncertain, though, I don't think any harm would come from calling or emailing the hostess, saying that you have dietary restrictions, and asking for verification that there was no "set menu" involved, that everyone would be ordering off the standard menu. I don't think there's any need to go into particulars about your restrictions unless she says there is a set menu or buffet, in which case it would become appropriate to make sure that there was something you could eat or that you could bring your own.

When I've been to these types of showers, everyone ordered from the menu and paid themselves.

I think it's totally reasonable to let the hostess know that you'd like to know if it's a buffet or if you'll be ordering from the main menu because you have some dietary restrictions.   If I was hosting a shower of this type, I'd have no issues with that question.

Ok I asked and we'll be ordering off the menu. That is a relief. I will also be sure to bring enough money to pay for myself.

I'm glad you got clarification bc the last few times I went to showers at restaurants, they were family style with preorder platters of food placed at each table.

And I didn't pay. The hostess(es) did.

Every shower I've ever been to at a restaurant was either a buffet or a pre-set meal, but I've never had to pay.  I think it would be odd to be invited to a party and then it be expected that you have to pay.  You wouldn't have people pay their way if it were in a hall or at your home.

• Like 5