Menu

Ideas to help ds (a runner) gain weight.

Only me

I may have mentioned this before but can't find my past post so sorry if this was a repeat. Does anyone have a son who is a runner? My son is a senior at public school and just started running in track last year. This is his first year in cross country and he is doing well. Unfortunately he is burning out and regionals are this weekend with hopefully sectionals and state to follow. He is still growing. He has grown a foot since freshman year! The problem is with all his running he can't keep on the weight. They had been running about 50 miles a week but have tapered down to 37 this week . He is 6 feet but only 132 pounds. I think that might be why he is starting to struggle a bit. His legs are sore and tired and he is exhausted. He can't and wont quit now. He is top 5 varsity and they are counting on him. I just want to try to help him get through these next few weeks and then hopefully in the off season he can gain some weight.

He is a good eater but doesn't have a lot of time to eat. He eats a decent breakfast. He eats lunch at school but it is early at 10:15 and doesn't have a lot of time to eat a big lunch. He tries to have a snack at study hall which is last period but that is just a power bar.

Im trying to think of ideas that will help him gain weight without being too heavy of a food. He tends to eat over half his food for the day at dinner but I don't want to overload him too much before bed. He doesn't get home from practice until 6 or 6:30 and has been going to bed at 9 exhausted.

My husband is a distance runner (when he has time) and a similar build. Milkshakes with peanut butter and banana are his after run treat. I think his mom used to include protein powder. He also put about half a stick of butter into everything.

• Like 3

I don't have a runner, but I had swimmers, one of whom was a tall thin beast. Probably the same type of issue to deal with. At this point, you really don't want to change anything too much. Going into championship events isn't the time to change things up. It  sounds like they taper (cut back) to allow the body to optimize/heal at this point. If so, he is going to start feeling better just from that. After championship season is over, you might want to start implementing some changes. The main problem I can see is the time he eats lunch. With that early a lunch, he needs to be eating another meal before school gets out! Can he get his coach to intercede for him to be allowed to go somewhere that he will feel comfortable eating a second lunch during his study hall? Maybe the coach's office? Of course, he would need to bring it, but this seems to be the heart of his issue right here. A later lunch time would be even more ideal. I would make sure that next year, he eats closer to 12. Even if you need to get his coach or doctor involved to become involved. I daresay with a doctor's note, the school would have to make sure it happened.

As far as the rest of this year goes, will they be practicing next semester? (I have no idea how school sports work!) If so, I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of his calories. I would try to find ways for him to snack between classes. Maybe some homemade jerky he can much as he changes classes? Nuts, cheese, pretzels? Real peanut butter on crackers? Basically, he needs to be eating whenever he can stuff food into his face. When my dd was recovering from an illness that caused her to lose a lot of weight (5'8", normally 110 down to 88), I made sure she ate a breakfast that had almost 3,000 calories. The real help for her came from drinking chocolate shakes immediately after her practices. Once she had gotten back up to weight, she switched over to chocolate milk (the don't have to be in the fridge type). After practice, he needs something he can get into his body immediately. Chocolate milk and bananas are ideal.

• Like 4

I have two sons who aren't underweight, but are trying to put on muscle weight with body building. (They are 23 and 20.) One of them has super high caloric needs anyway. They have both started making high calorie smoothies with things like full fat Greek yogurt, peanut butter, sweet potatoes or oatmeal (for carbs), eggs, almond milk, kale, and I don't know what else. It is working well for both of them, because one takes them to work so he can consume more cals between meals, and the other can quickly consume them between college classes and other college responsibilities. My 20yo, who is ALWAYS hungry, says this is the first time in a long time he has been full. They are both pretty active guys.

ETA: They both prefer the Ninja (some blender) to blend all this stuff up.

• Like 1

I have younger swimmers but I have a feeling the issues are similar.  They both really like the clif builder protein bars as a quick, almost 300 calorie snack.  We also do a lot of pasta with butter and meat sauce, a lot of veggies with cheese and a lot of peanut butter and banana sandwiches.  

Can you have him use an app to track what he is eating each day and when to try to find his actual calorie intake and when you might be able to add in some additional snacks (foods he already eats and tolerates well)?  Also, I have found that my swimmers both need a multivitamin every day.

I managed to gain weight. I would not advise this before a big race though. In the long run:

1. Drink half and half (real, not flavored junk) instead of milk.

2. Lifting weights of your focus is on weight vs. energy. P90X3 is a good one to build bulk. Warning: more weight reduces your time. Ideally you want to be slim and have calories at the reasy. But you said gain so there you are.

3. Eat more sugar. Sweetened dried fruits and candy will help you put on weight. If he doesn't like sweets, have one sweet smoothie. Clif bars.

My son is a distance runner and cyclist, and yep, he's always starving. I emphasize lots of protein at each meal and snack (we are vegetarian and he's not overdoing it, it just helps him stay full longer and balances carbs).

A typical day includes an veggie and cheese omelette plus a protein shake (especially on race days). 2nd breakfast of bagel and cream cheese or yogurt plus nuts and fruit. Lunch is probably leftovers or a can of vegetable soup plus fruit or sliced veggies and a grilled cheese sandwich. Snack might be carrots and hummus plus nuts plus crackers and cheese plus maybe a homemade Lara bar. Dinners are enormous.

I agree with other posters that your boy needs to figure out ways to incorporate more meals and snacks into his day. His season is almost over, but he can learn new tricks for track in the spring (or his winter sports). Since his opportunities are limited, every bite he takes should be nutrient and calorie dense. Can he quickly eat a hard boiled egg and a handful of nuts on the way to his locker between classes? Homemade Lara bars are super high energy foods that can be even very quickly. Someone mentioned jerkey which is another great quick source of calories.

This is the time to be instilling great eating habits. High sugar, high fat diets aren't what his body needs and aren't good long term goals to meet. He may need calorie dense foods, but they should be coming from a whole foods based, balanced diet. It's doable, but he--and you--will have to be intentional about it.