Menu

Is the Enthusiasm There For the Younger Children?

Zelda

I have only been home schooling for a year and in that time I've ended up combining my 6yo and my 8yo on a couple of subjects. I also have a 3yo who I guess I will have to do separately. Is the enthusiasm there for teaching subjects *again*? I'm a little worried about that. Thanks for any insight.

I'm starting my fourth year (started with oldest in K), and now that my middle child is hitting some of the same books, I've found I still have enthusiasm for them. I also feel more comfortable about tweaking the parts that we didn't enjoy the first time around. For example, replacing/skipping certain grammar lessons with something more effective and switching to a different math program. It also makes the planning a bit easier, since you already have a foundation for that grade level's lessons. I'm interested to see what will happen when my youngest comes up into school age as well.

Erica in OR

I agree with Erica. With a 3 year age difference between my two dd's, there isn't much I can combine with them.

I currently do less of what dd5 would typically do in a kindergarten class: play-doh, paint, crafts, etc... and more of what dd8 should do: history, science, literature.

I wouldn't say my enthusiasm is dwindling... but my confidence is certainly growing and I'm finding it unnecessary to repeat everything I did with my older dd. I'm able to see now what has been most effective and what I shouldn't leave sleep over because the child will see it again and again and again. :)

In fairness, this is only our second year of home schooling so perhaps I need a few more years for the repetitiveness of some subjects to dampen my desire.

This is my 6th time with a kindergarten/1st grader and it's so much more fun and enjoyable than the first time.

1. The pressure is off. The pressure for a first year hs-ing mom is huge. Everyone is questioning what they are doing, family and so forth. And they are constantly comparing what their kid is learnign to others, esp if they just pulled them out of school. There's a ton of pressure on the first year hs-ing mom, most of it from herself.

2. I know better what we need. The first time was mostly spent just tryign to figure out what to use, how to use, and what didn't work for me or dc. Each child is just a bit different as far as what works or how to use it. But I've got a MUCH clearer pov now than I did years ago and I feel zero qualms about changing things if I need to. I no longer feel a need to "stick it out". Neither do I ever plan to find the perfect curricula either.

3. I don't do the "same thing" every year neccessarily either. Oh some things are tried and true favorites that I keep on hand. But I also have to keep in mind that the little ones are big time osmosis learners too. For example, I'm doing WP animal theme this year with my 5, just turned 6, yr old. My 4 yr old is trailing right behind him. Will he remember it all next year? Oh I'm sure he won't. But he'll probably remember enough to not want to spend do it again next year. Also, what history we study is based on whatever my oldest is studying. So that changes some too.

4. You'll find they really are all very unique people. The phonics that was smooth sailing for 2 kids, won't net any results for the 3rd. The math that worked for the previous 6, will be nothing but greek to kid #7.

So, in case anyone can't tell.. I'm very enthusiastic about schooling my littles.

I'm still enthusiastic about my oldest, the 8th grader, but it's a very different enthusiasm. Somewhat mixed with forever worrying induced mama nausea.;)

And I'd love to hear more responses.

I was in bed last night thinking about how great it felt to get that first year under our belt and how I felt so good putting those books into storage. It was a very, "Ha! Done!", kind of feeling. Then I started to think about starting preschool this week with "the Baby" and I realized that I'd be dragging those books out again in a couple of years and felt...I don't know...worried. Worried that I wouldn't have the same enthusiasm for the subjects given that there was so much satisfaction in completing them.

I'm feeling very relieved and buoyed by the experiences of others.

This is an excellent question. I remember wondering the same when my current K student was 3 years of age. Now that's she's in K I almost started a thread asking if others are as delighted as I am to be teaching K all over again! It is such a joy for me to return to all those old favorite activites and lessons and to see another little one starting out the journey of discovery.

Regarding specific curricula, I did tweak a few things and change around a couple others, but those changes are partly due to things I've learned over the years and to knowing and understanding my current K student. All my students are so different, with their own sets of strengths and weaknesses.

For now, I wouldn't worry about the future. Enjoy today's moments. Three year olds are so precious. :)

Absolutely!

Not only am I having fun teaching my four year old my older kids are enjoying it too. After lunch we all do the k4/preschool craft of the day. Last week we were doing the letter A. We made alligators from toilet paper rolls, painted with carrots and apples, used an apple peeler, made paper airplanes and used potato head pieces in play doh.

Picture a mom, a nine year old, a seven year old and a four year old, all giggling about how the alligators look more like lizards and the potato head guy with eyes in the front and the back of the head must be mom because she sees everything.

It might be our favorite part of the day. It is definitely the silliest part.

I've discovered that I don't like using the same materials again...so most things from my dds have been given away and something different purchased. A few exceptions that come to mind have been Five in a Row, First Language Lessons, Critical Thinking Press books, and Math-U-See...I think Story of the World will be on this short list also.

However, I have found that I get excited about doing "the same" subjects with the younger one, especially because he's so different that I often have to/get to reinvent the wheel for him. The approach is different, even if I use some of the same materials, and he gets interested in different aspects of the materials, and our interaction is different.

It goes as long way toward keeping the experience fresh for me.

I guess I don't see it differently than having the same enthusiasm for anything that my different children do. I am just as excited to see number 7 trying to pump on a swing as I was with my oldest. If anything, it is more fun the more I do it b/c I don't stress about things like I did with my oldest b/c I know how it turns out in the end. ;)

I have four children, two older (10 & 11) and two younger (almost 3 & 4), and while I'm doing very little schooling with the littler guys, I feel so much more relaxed. I know what I think it's important for them to know. My oldest did so much work "just to make sure that I covered all of the bases".

--Dawn