Menu

Want to change Latin - ideas please

EmmaNZ

My almost 11 year old ds has done GSWL, part of Latin Prep book 1 (Galore Park), and is now finishing Lively Latin book 1. We loved GWSL. Latin prep was great, but I felt like I wasn't able to teach it very well because I don't have enough Latin of my own. Lively Latin has moved at a slower pace (which is good) but is too wordy, too much history, too many drawings etc. It just doesn't suit my 'get it done as fast as possible' son.

Is there something out there that is more concise than lively Latin, but easier for me to teach than Latin prep?

Have you looked at Latina Christiana or First Form Latin from Memoria Press? We're using Latina Christiana this year, and so far I'm really pleased. Latina Christiana is often used for 3-5th graders, while First Form is an introductory course that could be used with older children. If you don't have a Latin background, I recommend purchasing the instructional DVD. I have no Latin background and am using the DVD for Latina Christiana. It's very thorough and engaging for my daughter. 

Good luck finding what works for you!

• Like 4

Have you looked at Latina Christiana or First Form Latin from Memoria Press? We're using Latina Christiana this year, and so far I'm really pleased. Latina Christiana is often used for 3-5th graders, while First Form is an introductory course that could be used with older children. If you don't have a Latin background, I recommend purchasing the instructional DVD. I have no Latin background and am using the DVD for Latina Christiana. It's very thorough and engaging for my daughter. 

I agree with this...We are currently using Latina Christiana and First Form Latin at my house...My oldest used Latina last year...The DVDs are a big help, the book is simple and streamlined, without cluttered pages or unnecessary graphics...I like the way it looks and I like the way it teaches :)

• Like 2

We have also had lots of success with Memoria Press Latin.  My dd9 is using First Form Latin, which contains lots of great review and builds as it goes.  I do try to stay ahead of her a bit, so I'm not sure how it would go if I wasn't trying to learn alongside her.

• Like 2

What is the long term goal? If you are planning to do an outsourced class later on, that might influence what you would want to use, because of pacing and which school teaching which book.

I felt frustrated with Latin while only using the series written for kids (I am now using GSWL with another child and it has the same issue, but worse since you are just given bits and pieces at a time). We used LFC and then Latin Prep 1 before switching to Henle, using the MODG syllabus at reduced pace in sixth grade. With the switch to Henle, I saw the big picture of Latin grammar, and it was much easier to learn and to help my children. Henle is very straight forward and easy to use.

So my recommendation would be to find something that helps you see the big picture, and then you will be able to make the resources work for you a little better, whether or not you use the same resource for the dc. Wheelock's would also do this, but from my understanding is harder to self-learn if you don't know the language at all. I don't know about Latin Alive, but I might use it for my next child, as I think doing Wheelock's in two years in an outsourced class as my older child has done, will be too much for this child. I think spreading the grammar and beginning translation over three years, as LA does, seems like a good option for us-- and then there will be a couple of different online schools we can head into when we get to level 2 or 3 and I start to feel like they need a "real" teacher.

Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't enjoyed the Classical Academic Press books we've done in the past, so haven't looked at Latin Alive. I'll go and have a look.

I'm not really sure what the long term goal is here. I think I want him to do a GCSE (exams at age 16) and then he can give it up if he chooses.

I forgot to say before that I would prefer something secular. Is Henle secular?

No Henle is not secular. There aren't many options for Secular Latin. I have looked at Linney's Latin class, Latin Book 1 & 2. Classical Academy, Wheelocks, Latin Primer, Latin Prep, Lively Latin, Latin for Dummies, and tons of OOP older books. GSWL / Lively Latin 1&2 Without history, and Latin Prep are still the best in my mind.

The progression of Latin Via Ovid is similar to Henle, but it uses Ovid's myth retellings to illustrate the various grammar points. The explanations are clear, and the exercises are straightforward and effective. The textbook and a workbook are available on Amazon, and I believe a teacher's manual with translations and answer key is available from Wayne State University in Michigan. I'd be glad to contact the university for you if you decide this program looks like it may be a good fit for your son.

I agree! Latin has been easy to teach and learn because of Memoria Press' Forms series. I don't think I could have done it without them!

• Like 1

I've been eyeing off visual latin, but I notice no one else has mentioned it, is there a reason? 

Haven't used it yet, so can't give reviews, but it seems secular (or at least, Christian references are minimal). Seems like a good program for parents who don't have latin experience themselves.