Menu

Recommend a Credit Card?

Amy in NH

I need to make travel arrangements for a trip I have to take in three weeks.  We don't have the money to pay for this expense immediately, and we also don't have a credit card, so I will be applying for one tonight.  I plan to pay it off when I get a lump of cash at the end of November.  We don't do Disney, but I do like Amazon.  Does anyone have an Amazon credit card, or want to recommend a card they particularly like?  I'm not too keen on supporting the big banks like BOA or Citi...

We have an Amazon card. It gives you points. Double points spent at Amazon. It sort of adds up and gets you some money off there occasionally. We pretty much only use that one on Amazon, but it still does a little something.

The one we use (and pay off) for most things is one from Wells Fargo that pays a tiny bit on our mortgage for what we spend on it. 

I'm pretty sure all the credit cards are eventually tied to some banking giant or other down the line.

• Like 1

I like my Chase Freedom card. If you sign up and spend $500 or more in the first three months you'll get a $100 bonus.  There is always a 1% cash back, no annual fee, and the cash back can be applied to your account, sent directly to your bank account, or used to buy gift cards.  Every quarter there are bonus categories that give you 3% cash back but I rarely even pay attention to what they are. 

I know you don't want a large bank card but the $100 bonus might be a nice perk. 

• Like 1

I have a USAA Mastercard. It's got a cash reward thing and no annual fee. The interest rate is meh. You do have to have a USAA bank account I think. Not actually sure on that.

No, no banking account necessary. But you do have to have access to membership: active duty, retired military, or a dependant there of. I think.

No, no banking account necessary. But you do have to have access to membership: active duty, retired military, or a dependant there of. I think.

Yes. And they're very generous on who counts for membership. Dh and I were active duty when we enrolled but we later learned that FIL was eligible based on his service during WWII. And based on his eligibility both SILs became eligible for membership as FIL's dependents.