Menu

If you had a bs & wanted to eventually be a nutritionist, what would you suggest?

Prairie~Phlox

The jobs that I keep seeing require a bs & at least 9 credit hours in human nutrition if it's not a nutritionist degree (mine is in family sciences, so that could easily get me in the door) I don't want to have to spend a lot to take classes, I've seen several jobs repeatedly posted for a nutritionist in the county (my husband has a county job.) I'm starting to think for my long term plan, it's really what interests me anymore.

Have you checked your state regs yet?  In many places, you can't call yourself a nutritionist without the full degree. http://www.nutritioned.org/state-requirements.html

If you want to work a job that requires 9 credits, have you checked what your local community college offers? Mine only offers 3 credits in nutrition, but I would guess some others have more.

I just completed a MS in nutrition and I still have to get another certification before I can technically call myself a nutritionist in my state (MD).

I would honestly think more about what you want to do. Now that I have my degree and have done about 700 hours of supervised practice, I have a better idea about what I want to do professionally and honestly I could do what I want without my degree.

But I must admit that I really wanted the letters after my name so I don't regret my choice but if I was thinking more about professional plans and thought out what I wanted, I could have saved a TON of money and gone about it differently. For some just health coaching could be a better approach than following the path to be a nutritionist. And it also depends on your state, I could cross state lines and call myself a nutritionist now and could have called myself that without my masters too. But what you call yourself is far less important than what you know and both are less important than if you can make a difference in someone's life.

Eta: I missed the part about working a county job. I am not the type to work for others so my comments are really more entrepreneur directed.

• Like 1

In my state a 9 month internship (with corresponding graduate level classes)through An accredited university program is required to become an RDN registered dietitian nutritionist. You then will need to apply for a license. It is my understanding you need this in every state. This is all in addition to a bs in nutrition.

Are they looking for a " nutritionist" or an R.D.? I'm an R. D. in IN.

Part Time Nutritionist is the job title, they must have trouble? This is the 2nd posting in 3 months. I figured I'd see over the next year how ofyen it pops up. I also have a friend that is a nurse that works at the Health Department, so I plan to ask her more ??

Here's the posting requirements:

baccalaureate degree in human nutrition, or baccalaureate degree in a related field with 9 credit hours in human nutrition and 1-2 years experience in human services or education. Possession of Internationally Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) certification preferred. Working knowledge of state and federal WIC program requirements and standard nutritional guidelines and ability to conduct nutritional assessments, provide appropriate education and counseling, and make referrals to registered dietitians as appropriate. Working knowledge of health and social services available to county residents, and ability to make appropriate referrals. Ability to learn about breast feeding through local and state educational opportunities and self study. Working knowledge of and ability to use universal health precautions to avoid infection, and ability to properly operate various medical equipment, such as hemocue machine, balance beam scales, measuring devices, and audio/visual equipment. Ability to properly operate standard office equipment such as computer, printer and calculator. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers and program participants, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities, and disabilities. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions. Ability to work alone and with others in a team environment with minimum supervision, often under time pressure. Ability to occasionally work extended hours, regularly work evening hours, and occasionally travel out of town for training, sometimes overnight.

• Like 1

To work for WIC, you wouldn't need to be a R.D. Basically what you would be doing is providing general counseling to moms applying for the program. It's not like you'd be running a hospital cafeteria or whatever. Arizona State online has a B.S. program in "Healthy Lifestyles Coaching" that isn't super-expensive per credit. I wouldn't bother with completing a 2nd bachelor's but you could take the nutrition-related courses: https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/roadmaps/ASU00/NUHSCHLCBS/null/ONLINE/2015?init=false&nopassive=true

Part Time Nutritionist is the job title, they must have trouble? This is the 2nd posting in 3 months. I figured I'd see over the next year how ofyen it pops up. I also have a friend that is a nurse that works at the Health Department, so I plan to ask her more ??

Here's the posting requirements:

baccalaureate degree in human nutrition, or baccalaureate degree in a related field with 9 credit hours in human nutrition and 1-2 years experience in human services or education. Possession of Internationally Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) certification preferred. Working knowledge of state and federal WIC program requirements and standard nutritional guidelines and ability to conduct nutritional assessments, provide appropriate education and counseling, and make referrals to registered dietitians as appropriate. Working knowledge of health and social services available to county residents, and ability to make appropriate referrals. Ability to learn about breast feeding through local and state educational opportunities and self study. Working knowledge of and ability to use universal health precautions to avoid infection, and ability to properly operate various medical equipment, such as hemocue machine, balance beam scales, measuring devices, and audio/visual equipment. Ability to properly operate standard office equipment such as computer, printer and calculator. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers and program participants, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities, and disabilities. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions. Ability to work alone and with others in a team environment with minimum supervision, often under time pressure. Ability to occasionally work extended hours, regularly work evening hours, and occasionally travel out of town for training, sometimes overnight.

Ok, a WIC position position. I worked for WIC for 10 years. You don't need an RD though if one came along she/he might get preference. You are a county employee but in a federal program which can have it's own frustrations. You are generally dealing with general childhood nutrition and pregnancy/ postpartum nutrition advice. Advice is based on federal guidelines. None of this is clinically difficult. Situations can vary greatly between urban and rural counties. I worked rurally and was the lone dietitian in a 6 county oversight group. I worked with all RNs. HTH

Ok, thanks, it's good to know, County Employees have a leg up when they know someone, which is sad, but true.  My husband and several of our friends already work for the county, my friend is a nurse in the Health Department, I'm not 100% sure if this is something that I would do down the road or not, the position would have to be open at the right time, which is not now.  I am interested in nutrition either way though, so taking a few classes would not hurt and if I did end up going back to work at the University (which I was doing before I had kids) I could get a reduced tuition.  So much to consider, I don't want to sell myself short in what I feel I could be making down the road.  I still have at least 3 years until I could return full time to work, like I said, I am in the process of starting some part time merchandising that may lead to stuff as well.  Thanks for the advice every one, it does help!

• Like 1