Menu

South Carolinians (& North Carolinians &/or anyone else in flooded/flooding areas)...

Stacia

We are okay on the out skirts of Columbia but many in our area are not.  Columbia is toast, soggy but toast.  More dams are expected to be breached today if measures don't save them.   Many of the flooded areas didn't know it could flood there.  Local disaster control compared it to the aftermath of Katrina.  I haven't seen this many closed roads since Hurricane Hugo and can't remember a time when the INTERSTATES were closed, flooded, or missing pieces.  It may be worse tomorrow as evacuations are going on today. But at least the sun is shining!

We saw with Hurricane Floyd that many people not living in designated flood plains were flooded after cresting rivers pushed phenomenal amounts of water downstream. I fear that SC folks are not out of the woods yet. 

My thoughts go out to tired first responders who may not rest for a while.

We had lots of rain and some trees down in areas, minor temporary flooding of some roads, nothing major in our area. Much of the rain went to either side of us, it seems. My husband was supposed to go to Columbia for the day last Saturday, down to USC, but decided against it---very glad!

yea, the news is disturbing today as neighborhoods are now under mandatory evacuation and cresting is beginning.    EVery hour seems to bring a new issue.   But Chick fila was out today handing out sandwiches (door to door), crates of bottle water are out in front of grocery stores and other drop points.  If they can get the canal dammed up again, the water should work again (its a pressure thing)  i'm glad im in  "safe zone" so to speak

• Like 1

Lowcountry here, but slightly inland. We are in town and safe. Swamps are probably high. I know Charleston and Summerville have been under water. It's bad. A relative in Florence is dealing with a backed up septic and damaged roof. At the moment, Florence County and Berekley County didn't make the FEMA cut and there are people in both that will need help for repairs and losses. We are expecting all that water from Columbia to head down this way.

We are in Columbia, but we're on a hill, so we're fine.  Several homes in our neighborhood flooded, and many near us were evacuated yesterday.  We had several friends in the downtown area lose everything.  The water went completely over their homes.  The area that flooded wasn't expected to have issues.  It's shocking to see pictures of friends' homes and neighborhoods completely underwater.  Roads are destroyed, and many more will fall apart in the next few days.  Our water treatment plant is underwater.  Some don't have power or water, while the lucky ones (like us) just have to boil the water.  The curfews are being lifted, so it's easier to get help to others today.  USC has cancelled classes for the week.  I have no idea how they are feeding the massive amount of students there with the boiling requirements.  The National Guard is here and FEMA has already provided support to some.  Thankfully, we live in a state with truly compassionate people. Most people I know have been helping others since the rain started falling, and and they will continue to help rebuild as long as they are needed.

• Like 1

I'm in Columbia as well. We are safe and dry with no effects beyond the boil water advisory. But some friends have lost everything and watching the news all day of the destruction is unreal. I can't imagine how long it's going to take to fix all the roads and bridges, not to mention buildings. And I've been very impressed with how well South Carolinians are handling everything.

• Like 1