Menu

Complete LA curricula for remedial work

thefragile7393

Due to many things happening in previous years, my son has a lot of gaps in his learning. I'm hoping to remedy this after school and try to her him close to a 4th grade level (his current grade). Should I look at WTM suggestions for earlier grades as practice? Looking at spelling and grammar and writing....we already practice phonics and he is doing fairly well with that. I'd love a complete curricula that encompasses all of this but if there isn't one I don't mind piecing one together.

Look at Writing Tales level 1.  It's gentle, rigorous, and has everything you want included.  The entire first 6 lessons are short pieces while teaching grammar/memorizing the parts of speech, and you can see how it progresses to lesson 7&8 in the sample pages. Each piece is worked on for two weeks, going through all the mechanics of writing. http://writing-tales.com/

• Like 1

I personally would consider First Language Lessons level 3 for grammar.  It assumes no prior knowledge and is very thorough. You can get through it in a school year doing 3 lessons a week.  I would often let my son skip some of the copywork or 'write each sentence' or just let him pick one to do as a written exercise and do the rest orally. etc.  My son didn't like to do a lot of handwriting, so I went for quality over quantity.   

• Like 2

Due to many things happening in previous years, my son has a lot of gaps in his learning. I'm hoping to remedy this after school and try to her him close to a 4th grade level (his current grade). Should I look at WTM suggestions for earlier grades as practice? Looking at spelling and grammar and writing....we already practice phonics and he is doing fairly well with that. I'd love a complete curricula that encompasses all of this but if there isn't one I don't mind piecing one together.

Most people use a variety of materials and methods to teach English skills. :-)

Spalding would cover a big part of what he needs: spelling, reading, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing, all in one fell swoop. It would be a one-time purchase of less than $50. Those would be the areas I would work on first; grammar and more comprehensive composition can easily be added in later (Spalding can also do grammar and composition, but most people like to mix things up a bit). Spalding does have a learning curve on the teacher's part, but once you're ready to begin teaching, you just pick up each day where you left off.

• Like 1

Most people use a variety of materials and methods to teach English skills. :-)

Spalding would cover a big part of what he needs: spelling, reading, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing, all in one fell swoop. It would be a one-time purchase of less than $50. Those would be the areas I would work on first; grammar and more comprehensive composition can easily be added in later (Spalding can also do grammar and composition, but most people like to mix things up a bit). Spalding does have a learning curve on the teacher's part, but once you're ready to begin teaching, you just pick up each day where you left off.

It lists 131 dollars on the website and an online class i need to try and implement it?

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

It lists 131 dollars on the website and an online class i need to try and implement it?

No.

All you need is the manual (Writing Road to Reading) and a set of phonogram cards.

The teacher guide only has use in a classroom situation. The on-line class might be good, but really, for someone teaching her children at home, it isn't necessary.

• Like 1

If I were going to afterschool a kid to catch up, I would use Rod and Staff English 4 (to cover grammar and basic writing) plus Rod and Staff Spelling 4.   I would also add in good quality books for reading, having the child do a little of the reading out loud to me every day.  I would ask basic comprehension questions about the part he read to me.

You could do all of that in about an hour per day.

• Like 1

If I were going to afterschool a kid to catch up, I would use Rod and Staff English 4 (to cover grammar and basic writing) plus Rod and Staff Spelling 4. I would also add in good quality books for reading, having the child do a little of the reading out loud to me every day. I would ask basic comprehension questions about the part he read to me.

You could do all of that in about an hour per day.

I esp like this. Im surprised that basic grammar, parts of speech, and writing dont start until 4 though....you would think R&S would have it starting earlier

Have you looked at CLE (Christian Light Education)? Their LA curriculum covers all of these areas in an easy to use format that fosters independence. They have a placement test on their website that's very helpful as well.

I think I'd have to start at level one with him....have to get placement tests

I esp like this. Im surprised that basic grammar, parts of speech, and writing dont start until 4 though....you would think R&S would have it starting earlier

R&S English and spelling start at 2nd grade. The 2nd and 3rd grade books are very basic and could be skipped if your child already has some basic knowledge.

All of the R&S English books start at the beginning with grammar for a review, and that is why it is possible to start with the 4th grade book. Each grade adds more complexity and challenge.

If 4th grade is too difficult, you could start at 3rd grade. R&S English is advanced compared to public school grammar education, so having a fourth grader in R&S English 3 would be fine in my opinion.

he knows what a noun is and that's it.  Handwriting is atrocious, hates to write, does not know parts of speech.  Reading is ok, maybe late 2nd early third level

Since he's already in school all day (did I read that right?) I'd tread lightly with adding on a full curriculum in addition to what he's working on in school.  For a kid that's struggling, that might feel like too much and be really discouraging.  

For grammar, I'd look for something hat can be adapted to be done orally.  Give him a little break, since I'm sure he's having to do a lot of writing in school.  Things like grammar games (amazon has lots) and mad libs might work really well.  Oh, I have another idea!  Does he like to draw?  If he does, Sentence Family might click with him.  LOTS of drawing, very little writing.  It's only $12 for the pdf at currclick. 

I'd go with AAS for spelling which would also help his reading, because late 2nd/early 3rd for a 9 yo is pretty borderline.  Certainly can't hurt to strengthen this area.

I'm completely in love with Handwriting without Tears for remediating handwriting.  It has clean, simple strokes and is pretty easy to learn.

For writing (composition)... that's a lot trickier.  I'm an IEW fan girl for struggling writers BUT it would be a lot to add on to an already full school day, kwim?

I'd also request an eval from the school, just in case there are some underlying issues.  He might be perfectly typical and just need an extra boost right now, but even in light of his spotty schooling thus far, your comments about his handwriting and attitude toward writing sent up a yellow flag.  Might be nothing, but it can't hurt to rule out a potential learning difference. 

maybe late 2nd, early third grade level

Personally, reading 1 to 1 1/2 years behind would concern me more than poor handwriting and not knowing parts of speech and would be my main focus because it is so important to all other learning starting in around 4th grade when kids are supposed to start reading to learn, rather than learning to read.

I think several of the suggestions (R&S, Spalding etc.) you have received would work fine if he is just behind and needing to catch up, but I'd also be concerned that there could be something else going on and possibly asking for him to be tested for possible learning disabilities might be worthwhile if remedial work on LA does not seem to rapidly get him caught up, particularly with regard to on grade level reading.

• Like 4