Menu

Cars 2 quick movie decision! yay or nay?

TwoEdgedSword

We don't watch many movies here and my kids are asking for this one right now. They haven't seen a lot of graphic high animation stuff. I thought it would be ok, but some reviews on Common Sense Media say it's very violent and innaprorpriate for kids. They first one was fine for them.

Ages here 7 through 12.

What say you?

There is a whole spy/secret agent theme.

One agent was discovered by bad cars and crushed - you only see the after, the car crushed into a cube. This is not a character known to the viewer - no major attachment.

Another car is tortured with a device that makes its engine blow up -- again, a secondary character.

There are crashes caused intentionally by bad guy cars.

Some chase/fight scenes. One car gets jumped in the bathroom. Most of the fight scenes are tempered with Mater humor.

We didn't love it but for your ages, it's probably okay. My girls have seen it several times, but it's different than the first movie, for sure.

• Like 1

I tend to be cautious about movies with my kids, for a 7 and 12 year old I think it's fine. It is sort of a spy movie, there are bombs, I don't remember the shooting, but it's been awhile since I've really watched it. Finn and Sally (I think?) get tied up as prisoners but they do escape.

My 3 year old has seen it and a couple parts are a little scary for him. It isn't graphic though in the same way it would be if it were humans being bombed. They are cartoon cars. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

The reviews were discussing cars being tortured, killed and blown up. I realize they are cars, but cars with a character/persona associated with them.. Also, lots of gun violence supposedly.

Yep, we hated that movie. A lot.

My son was especially upset about the fact that it's not just the villain that does those things. 

• Like 1

Also I saw the theme mentioned...some cars are just born lemons and aren't worth as much in life or something to that effect.

I haven't seen it yet, but it seems like that might need to be discussed beforehand as I don't share that belief with respect to people at all. :-(

It's a cartoon version of a spy story with cars. The old, rusted truck winds up saving the day. But clearly the Common Sense Media people do way deeper literary dissection on cartoons than we do here. :)

• Like 2