Menu

Need help evaluating a tutoring job

A friend has asked me to consider tutoring her son in math. He just turned 13 this month and is taking algebra in public school (7th grade). I have never tutored, except teaching my own dd -- and she is only 10, so we haven't reached algebra yet. I have a Bachelor's degree and studied past calculus with mostly A's, but I was an English major, and it's been a looooong time since I've done this stuff.

I have no idea where to start, how to evaluate where he is or what kind of help he needs, or how to estimate what kind of time/energy it will take for me to be able to help him. All I know is that he is struggling with fractions. I'm not even sure there is a textbook we can work from. He is typically a good student, but he leans more toward the language arts (he's never without a book in his hands).

What questions should I ask to determine if this is something I should take on, or whether I need to help her find someone else?

• Like 1

He is struggling with Fractions? That sounds like one of many things that he should have mastered before or during Pre Algebra.   Everything is based on Algebra 1, so he will need to be very solid with that, but it sounds like possibly he is ahead of himself, in Algebra 1, if he is having trouble with Fractions.  I did not want DD to skip over Pre Algebra, although I am just about positive she could have gotten permission to do so, and she has just begun Algebra 1.  Also, there may be some maturity or other issues involved, before students can truly grasp Algebra 1.  And, if they do not truly get Algebra 1, they are forever impaired with more advanced Math.  If your degree is in English and you passed Calc, you are probably qualified to help him, as you have already done by reaching out, but I suspect you will need a *thorough* review of an Algebra 1 textbook and that he will need a thorough review of "Pre Algebra", before doing Algebra 1.  My DD had a lot of new material in "Pre Algebra" and it was not a snap course for her  and she is excellent with Math.  I suspect the boy is not ready to be in an Algebra 1 course...   Many people receive passing (even excellent) grades in Algebra 1, but cannot really apply the material in more advanced courses.

• Like 3

It occurred to me that he might not be ready. I think I would have benefitted by waiting a year. I eventually was able to pull it all together, but I think it would have saved me some heartache. Not sure I want to have THAT conversation with his mom though... :bored: At least not without more information.

Now that I think about it, though, I wonder if he's not actually taking PRE-algebra. When I asked, she did say algebra, but IME it's unusual for a 7th grader to be in Algebra I around here. Advanced students usually start in 8th, others in 9th. We were in the middle of a workout, and she caught me completely by surprise, so I just sort of sputtered and said I'd think about it. It didn't even occur to me that algebra didn't make sense. I suppose that should be the first question on my list!

• Like 1

I have used the Mathusee pre/post test to determine which types of calculations that a student can complete. 

http://www.mathusee.com/pdfs/pretest.pdf

I then start teaching those problems and working my way toward algebra. Since I have been tutoring for a while, I have picked up old textbooks for example problems (and word problems) to use as a guide.

If this student is really in algebra, you may be re-teaching classwork/homework in which case your student will need to always bring in things they are working on. Sometimes I get the parent to contact the teacher and to get me a copy what they are working on in class. Generally, though,  I have my students complete a drill of basic computation (fractions, decimals, operations) even if I am just working with a student on their class/homework. I find it hard to tutor algebra while trying to remediate at the same time only 1 hour per week. Sometimes though I can get them through using their calculator but I try and make sure the parents know that I will not be able to catch them up and that they may struggle the next year even more. 

To me it doesn't require a lot of prep work as I can usually figure out what they are working on my looking at their classwork. 

• Like 2

I often tutor other students, and I am honest with the parents - I explain that tutoring is not "magic," and that if I feel after a couple of sessions that I am not able to help the kid, I'll communicate that to the parent. Many (a surprising number, actually) assume that they are incapable of helping their kid with [math class X], but that you (because you home school) ARE qualified to do so, even when your "on paper" qualifications are exactly the same. I have also offered to teach a parent how to tutor his / her own child before, though most do not take me up on it.

Just $.02 (adjusted for inflation, naturally). :)

Editing to add a caveat: Within the last 2 years, our local public high schools have adopted Common Core, which means (at least here) that the students either (a) don't have textbooks or (b) the textbook is huge (>1200 pages for algebra I!), and the assignments have grown significantly more nebulous / difficult to assess. The old-school books with problem sets that kids can practice & check are so much easier for everyone, IMO.

• Like 2

Doesn't Math-U-See have a whole level devoted to fractions? Or am I thinking of Math Mammoth? I haven't used either, but if fractions truly are the problem, I wonder if it might be best to work him through something like that, even if we're backing up and starting from a very basic level. I know that he will be lost if he can't get up to speed on fractions.

I often tutor other students, and I am honest with the parents - I explain that tutoring is not "magic," and that if I feel after a couple of sessions that I am not able to help the kid, I'll communicate that to the parent. Many (a surprising number, actually) assume that they are incapable of helping their kid with [math class X], but that you (because you home school) ARE qualified to do so, even when your "on paper" qualifications are exactly the same. I have also offered to teach a parent how to tutor his / her own child before, though most do not take me up on it.

Just $.02 (adjusted for inflation, naturally). :)

Editing to add a caveat: Within the last 2 years, our local public high schools have adopted Common Core, which means (at least here) that the students either (a) don't have textbooks or (b) the textbook is huge (>1200 pages for algebra I!), and the assignments have grown significantly more nebulous / difficult to assess. The old-school books with problem sets that kids can practice & check are so much easier for everyone, IMO.

I think that's exactly what's going on here -- she assumes I somehow know more about this than she does because I home school. But as I said, my dd is 10. I plan to teach her algebra when we get there, but I was counting on having a couple more years before I had to brush up! I am leery of my ability to do this, especially in a few hours a week.

I'm definitely concerned that lack of textbook will be a problem. it would be far easier to know what/how his teacher is going to teach. When my dd was in public school (same system), I had real trouble figuring out what on earth they were supposed to be learning. And that was 2nd grade!

If I take this on, I think it will have to be for a trial period, after which we all evaluate its effectiveness. I would LOVE to help my friend find the resources so she can work with him herself, but I suspect she will not be up for that.

Ugh.  I hate when I hit the back button in the midst of a post....

I tutor GED students in math.  Often when students struggle with Algebra, it is because they have not mastered Fractions, Decimals, and Percents.  So, you might want to check out all 3...

The Epsilon book of Math-U-See is devoted to Fractions.  The Zeta book is devoted to Decimals and Percents.

We used MUS from K through Algebra, though I would not recommend the Algebra text except for something like 7th grade Algebra to be followed by a more challenging Algebra text in 8th grade.  I enjoyed using MUS for the elementary years.  It is not teacher intensive.  The manipulatives (particularly for fractions) are ingenious, helping the student SEE the math. 

I haven't posted my review of MUS in a long while.  I'm proud that I was able to find it in the archives.  :thumbup1:

HTH!

• Like 1

I have found that tutoring is only about 50% material, the rest of the time is psychological - encouragement, finding and using strengths, metacognition, etc. I am tutoring ahead of my younger (I don't/can't teach my older) and although it is some work to come up to speed again after many years away, I'm finding that I have so much more clarity for my own child having experimented on someone elses. :huh:   That probably doesn't sound very good, but the parents of the kids I help are willing to let me muck around with their kid, because my mucking around is way better than either their teacher's efforts or their own. 

I would suggest that you try something like "I'm not sure I have time, but I'm willing to help out for a month and then I'll know if I can commit."  That gives you the out you need if it looks like it is going to be a poor fit.

I *always* find that prealgebra is the problem, not algebra.  So when I do an 'assessment', I'm looking for the holes.  I just write problems on a piece of paper and the kid solves them one by one.  If the problem is easy, I jump up; if the problem is hard, I move down.  This is way more efficient and less intimidating than giving a kid a big typed up assessment. And in the end with preteens and teens is is *all* about perception of self.  The maths is secondary.  Sounds strange, but it is true.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 6

I completely agree with lewelma that tutoring is both about helping the student sharpen their skills but also helping them look at math in a more productive  and positive way.  

Key to Fractions, Decimals, and Percents might fit the bill well for a thorough review of those concepts, and it would allow you to easily assign work to complete between sessions.

I also highly recommend the book "How to Homeschool Math" by Robin Padron. It has a great advice on teaching math in general, but there's also a very useful chapter about tutoring--how to set expectations, how to make the most of tutoring, etc.

• Like 2

The Keys to series is great also for targeting missing skills. 

Your child will benefit from you tutoring. My youngest child spent a whole lot of time mastering basic math because of what I saw when I tutored. 

Also figure out how much you are going to charge and then talk to her. 

• Like 1