Menu

I fell in Love Last Night.

TranquilMind

With a house.  ;)

It was a perfect, untouched time capsule of 1956.   The homeowner kept everything perfectly and the entire house looks brand new and unused, even the avocado-colored dishwasher from the early 70's.  There are no dings in the perfect cabinets.  The pink-tiled bathroom is perfect.  The fireplaces are perfect.  There isn't a crack anywhere in the plaster.  The driveway and garage are perfect.  The rooms are huge, with great, large windows.  The windows are all brand new! 

Even better, most systems are new.  New HVAC, new  water heater, new water softener. 

It is going to be auctioned.  Auction house is from out of state and there is no local advertising at all.  The perfect storm for auctions.  I bought my first house this way, from an out-of-area auction house, with no advertising.   There was an ad on the day of the sale and the address was one block off.  That was a steal.  It was such a great house that the backup bidder from the original auction bought it from me a decade later when I finally sold it.   

House love.  There is no cure.  I spent all night lining up my contractors, and estimating renovation costs.  I want to live in this one, but I just renovated another right down the street beautifully and we were going to move there. (That's how I knew about this one).  

My husband. He just says, "Tell me what my address is, and I will come home."  ;)

Anyone else? 

• Like 13

Congratulations on your renovation and upcoming move!

My son and his family moved this past mid-summer into a late 1950s house.  Were it not his family, I would steal the house for myself! 

The house is a large ranch (1664 sq. ft.) on a huge corner lot.  The original developer of the subdivision had it built for himself, so it has extra features and extensive natural lighting through the windows.  This year, the house was being renovated by a "flipper" who ran out of money.  Just before the house fell into foreclosure, my son was able to buy it.  DS is a near-genius at design, building, and renovation.  Already he has laid, stained, and sealed beautiful hardwood flooring where floors needed replacing, has laid a natural stone floor in the good-sized entry hall, installed an apron sink and new faucet in the kitchen, redone the kitchen cabinets, and currently is designing and installing board-and-batten in select rooms.  He has other design plans to pursue as well.  DS loves doing all the work himself, and we are in awe both of his skills and his artistic sense.  

• Like 2

Sounds like you have some moving ahead of you . . . if you win the auction that is.  

My favorite house would be a Craftsman.  

Yeah, but I might not win.  If I were a young couple trying to get into the market, I'd be all over this house.  That is, of course, if I knew about it - and there is no advertising. Just a sign. 

My first house - the one I purchased at auction - was an amazing Craftsman.  It had a 17 foot mantel over lead-glass front bookcases, with a fireplace in the middle.  The two old ladies from whom we purchased it had owned a stained-glass company, so there was stained glass and tile everywhere.    Lots of squared-off original wood everwhere. 

We lived there for years.  I did like it but it was too close to the neighbors and you could hear them talking. 

• Like 4

Congratulations on your renovation and upcoming move!

My son and his family moved this past mid-summer into a late 1950s house.  Were it not his family, I would steal the house for myself! 

The house is a large ranch (1664 sq. ft.) on a huge corner lot.  The original developer of the subdivision had it built for himself, so it has extra features and extensive natural lighting through the windows.  This year, the house was being renovated by a "flipper" who ran out of money.  Just before the house fell into foreclosure, my son was able to buy it.  DS is a near-genius at design, building, and renovation.  Already he has laid, stained, and sealed beautiful hardwood flooring where floors needed replacing, has laid a natural stone floor in the good-sized entry hall, installed an apron sink and new faucet in the kitchen, redone the kitchen cabinets, and currently is designing and installing board-and-batten in select rooms.  He has other design plans to pursue as well.  DS loves doing all the work himself, and we are in awe both of his skills and his artistic sense.  

That sounds like a great house!  Perfect deal.  That's great that your son can do it.  I can no longer really do that much physical stuff (due to lots of abdominal stuff, so no  heavy lifting), and my husband's hours are too long so I end up hiring it all out. 

My first house - the one I purchased at auction - was an amazing Craftsman.  It had a 17 foot mantel over lead-glass front bookcases, with a fireplace in the middle.  The two old ladies from whom we purchased it had owned a stained-glass company, so there was stained glass and tile everywhere.    Lots of squared-off original wood everwhere. 

:drool5:

• Like 2

We fell in love with a house once. It was a Victorian-style home, built in the 1890s, with high ceilings, wood floors, and a ladder that led to a turret on the roof. The kitchen and bathroom had been renovated 10 years prior. There was an awful "great room" add-on, and only one bathroom. We got very close to buying it, but one night after work, it took DH 1.5 hours to get there. Since DH worked long hours, we knew we wouldn't be able to devote the time (and money) for a full top-to-bottom renovation.

I like to buy houses from people like you and Orthodox's ds. People who have the vision and drive and time (or perhaps priorities) to do the work needed, and do it well. I used to think that was me, but now, years later and with experience under my belt, I know it is not me.

I love the look of 50's modern houses, though.

• Like 2

We fell in love with a house once. It was a Victorian-style home, built in the 1890s, with high ceilings, wood floors, and a ladder that led to a turret on the roof. The kitchen and bathroom had been renovated 10 years prior. There was an awful "great room" add-on, and only one bathroom. We got very close to buying it, but one night after work, it took DH 1.5 hours to get there. Since DH worked long hours, we knew we wouldn't be able to devote the time (and money) for a full top-to-bottom renovation.

Yes, we have had a couple of those "crushes" over the years.  One was a Victorian with gas lighting and no insulation.  That love quickly faded when the owners told us that the monthly gas bill alone was $400. 

Another was an hour away.  Beautiful, but just not practical. 

I like to buy houses from people like you and Orthodox's ds. People who have the vision and drive and time (or perhaps priorities) to do the work needed, and do it well. I used to think that was me, but now, years later and with experience under my belt, I know it is not me.

I love the look of 50's modern houses, though.

Yes, the Mid-Century Modern is very in right now.  It feels like home to me, because, of course, I grew up in one. 

You'd love the one I just finished.  Sputnik lamp fixture, gorgeous dark-stained hardwoods, amazing tiled baths.  I like it but I like this one and its location and larger rooms, windows, and garage better. 

Yes, the Mid-Century Modern is very in right now. It feels like home to me, because, of course, I grew up in one.

You'd love the one I just finished. Sputnik lamp fixture, gorgeous dark-stained hardwoods, amazing tiled baths. I like it but I like this one and its' location and larger rooms, windows, and garage better.

Sputnik lamp? Shall have to find out what that is.

I am not keen on the pink tile bathrooms of that era (grew up with one) and felt a little surprised that D-I-L decided she likes it.

when dd and I were househunting for her - we came across one that was a time capsule from the 60's.  :blink:  we almost felt like we were walking through a set.

I did come across a craftsman I dearly loved.  wood everywhere - fir moldings, wainscoting,  oak floors, huge kitchen, good floor plan,  I. loved. it. :001_wub:  . . . . but I like my location better , . . . . ;)   (I look at the mcmansions they're building up the street from me . . .  I still have a better location . . . though their lots are relatively flat and mine is everything but.)

Sputnik lamp? Shall have to find out what that is.

I am not keen on the pink tile bathrooms of that era (grew up with one) and felt a little surprised that D-I-L decided she likes it.

You know.  The ones with bulbs going out from a center nucleus.  Like the planets?

There is one on inmod.com that I can't seem to link for some reason.   http://www.inmod.com/sputnik-lamps.html

I bought Standard 18 arm Sputnik in Chrome. Number 8, second row, far right. 

There are lots of styles but I didn't want want to hang down too far. 

when dd and I were househunting for her - we came across one that was a time capsule from the 60's.  :blink:  we almost felt like we were walking through a set.

I did come across a craftsman I dearly loved.  wood everywhere - fir moldings, wainscoting,  oak floors, huge kitchen, good floor plan,  I. loved. it. :001_wub:  . . . . but I like my location better , . . . . ;)   (I look at the mcmansions they're building up the street from me . . .  I still have a better location . . . though their lots are relatively flat and mine is everything but.)

That "set" feels like home to me. 

The good news is that folks of that post-WW II era tended to cover their hardwoods in carpets, right away.  My own mom and dad did.

When they were gone, I took up the carpet and the floors were pristine.  Didn't have to do a thing.  As a bonus, all the dog hair was gone!  ;)  (Older people don't really see that.  I'm starting to get it). 

You know. The ones with bulbs going out from a center nucleus. Like the planets?

There is one on inmod.com that I can't seem to link for some reason. http://www.inmod.com/sputnik-lamps.html

I bought Standard 18 arm Sputnik in Chrome. Number 8, second row, far right.

There are lots of styles but I didn't want want to hang down too far.

Thanks for the link! I never have seen one of those.