Menu

Tell me about Gatlinburg

Moxie

Gatlinburg is lovely.  It has an adorable little downtown area that's fun to walk through, especially in fall, or in winter when it's decorated for Christmas. There are a ton of family activities, and the scenery and landscape are just picturesque.

That said, there are negatives.  Traffic can be awful, and it is touristy, so beside the adorable local shops you'll still have your T-shirt stores. 

As for places to stay?  I'd rent a cabin.  Unfortunately, you likely won't find one until November.  I was just trying to find one myself about a month ago for a long weekend in October, and there are barely any to be found.  It's prime leaf changing season, and people flock to the Smokies and the Blue Ridge mountains during that time.  I ended up finding one place that will accommodate my family in the region, on a weekend, but I had to abandon Gatlinburg and come back to Georgia for it.  

• Like 2

I live near the area and used to work for a cabin rental company years ago so here's my two cents! I included Pigeon Forge and Sevierville with Gatlinburg since it's all in the same area, but you could certainly just stay in Gatlinburg. 

We are headed into the peak season, which is October when the leaves change so the prices will be higher for any accommodations. Renting a cabin is probably your best bet, but there are also some great hotels with fun activities for kids (Wilderness at the Smokies (Sevierville), Dollywood's Dreammore (Pigeon Forge), The Inn at Christmas Place (Pigeon Forge)). Some cabins have pool tables, hot tubs, jacuzzi tubs, video game rooms, foosball tables, dart boards, etc. I've even seen cabins with indoor pools! Usually, the more amenities, the higher the price. Because the industry is so big, many cabins are in what look like regular old houses in a subdivisions with no particularly great views to speak of. If you actually want a traditional cabin in the mountains with a view, be sure to tell the rental company. Always ask the cabin rental company what specials they have. This time of year they probably aren't great, but still worth asking.

As far as stuff to do, there are many cheesy tourist traps, but also some really fun things too. I would recommend the Ripley's Aquarium, Dollywood, Dixie Stampede, and the Titanic Museum. Obviously, you have to do something in the Smoky Mountains--go on a hike, visit Clingmans Dome, have a picnic, zipline, etc. If you drink, check out the Sugarlands Distilling Company or Ole Smoky Distillery for some moonshine (although this probably wouldn't work out with five kids!). There are many comedy, magic, and musical shows that really depend on your personal taste. I love eating at the Applewood Farmhouse (Sevierville). It has great apple dumplings, country food, and cute shops. Also, wherever you stay will probably offer some sort of reduced cost tickets for something so ask about that too. 

Traffic is usually TERRIBLE. Always leave plenty of time to drive. Walk whenever you can. There are also trollies, which are also a great option. I hope that helps. Have fun!

• Like 1