Menu

Berkey Filter - Tell me you like it before I plunk down $250

Liz CA

I know we had a thread on this in the last year or so. If someone can find it or tell me how to find it, I will read the replies...or you can just reply here.

I am looking at the Big Berkey because lab results revealed too much lead in my system. Naturopath suggested something more substantial than Mavea / Brita filter which I have now.

Or eBay.  They wouldn't be limited by those regulations, I wouldn't think.  We have the smallest travel Berkey for our family of nine.  We have to fill it a couple of times a day, but that's a non-issue.  Has worked great for several years now.  I have never changed the filters because they've never slowed down. 

Liz, do you mind a thread hijack? (Not trying to butt in, just figuring your or others reading might be interested in the answer to this question, too.)  I have looked at these on an off again, but I would really like to find some decent research on how effective they are? Does anyone have links to any good, impartial information? 

For those who have a Berkey, where do you put it?

Right now we have it on the end of the counter. At our old house there was a bar-height counter that ran the length of the regular counter, behind the sink. That was very handy. But it's fine in our house where it is now. There are stands for them, and of course you could just out it up on anything on your counter.

If you want a quick solution while you look more, Shaklee's water filters take out a lot more stuff than Pur or Brita. I think they have a comparison chart and a list of what it filters. They are long-lasting filters, and they sell an inexpensive housing adapter that works with most standard filter pitchers. One filter lasts three months, and you keep the housing long-term. 

I like it very much.  

I do not know how it does on lead removal or if you need the extra arsenic etc. type filters for that problem.

We have a lot of iron in our water, and it does an excellent job of removing the iron without the extra arsenic etc. ones.

I wish I had gotten a size larger than I got.  We have the Big and I still need to fill it very, very often.  We started with only 2  black filters, and then got 2 more.  4 Filters are way better than just 2.