Menu

Revolutionary War Books for Five Year Olds

My oldest son loves history and enjoyed looking at "battle books". His favorites are the DK American Revolution book and The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere. The version I purchased has great illustrations, a map in the beginning that shows the original plan and a map at the end that shows the actually route different riders took. There is also a pocket which contains a letter from the British discussing where powder and arms were being stored. Another great book is The Children's Book of America. It doesn't show maps or actual battles. It does have inspiring stories of war, like the Star Spangled Banner, George Washington, Robert E. Lee, Lewis and Clark. Seriously, I probably read the story of the Star Spangled Banner every night for a month. Also, Liberty Kids is amazing. My boys 3,4 and 6 watch it.

http://www.amazon.com/Eyewitness-American-Revolution-Books/dp/0789485567/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441677938&sr=8-2&keywords=DK+american+revolution

http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Ride-Paul-Revere/dp/1929766130/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441678091&sr=1-2&keywords=midnight+ride+of+paul+revere

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Book-America-William-Bennett/dp/0684849305/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441678202&sr=1-10

• Like 1

Not a book, but Liberty's Kids is great. All three of my kids love it, but it may be more than what you are looking for. :)

Huge hit here also. 

Books that emphasize battles and/or weapons; do preview bc my kids haven't been 5 in a long time:

Weapons, Gear, and Uniforms of the American Revolution 

The Atlas of Famous Battles of the American Revolution (a whole series, one book per battle, expensive bc made for libraries) 

Let It Begin Here: Lexington and Concord, First Battles of the American Revolution 

DK Eyewitness Books: American Revolution (not just battles but lots of pics) 

Top Secret Files: American Revolution (more spy oriented but some weapons) 

If you have a Barnes and Nobles near you, it's worth checking the bargain section. Mine usually has quite a few tabletop type books on war, battle, weapons of different eras. 

• Like 2

My son loves books on this topic. Even my dd read the Magic School House fact tracker about the Revolution and liked it and wars are not a topic she typically likes. The If You Lived in the Times of the American Revolution or You Wouldn't Want to books related to that time period are good. I also like the Maestro book about it and Paul Revere's ride. Ds has probably listened to nearly every book in the library on the topic. I cannot remember all the good ones but the Weapons and Gear one and Let it Begin Here a pp mentioned are two of his favorites.

Liberty Kids is really good and it is usually cheap on Amazon.