Menu

I just Got Chastised for not Celebrating Labor Day

Jean in Newcastle

Hear, hear. And then can we have Washington's and Lincoln's Birthdays back, instead of the awful Generic Presidents' Day? And Arbor Day, where did Arbor Day go?

Earth Day ate it, I'm pretty sure. But drat, now I'm going to have that Arbor Day jingle stuck in my head all day. Anyone else remember that from Saturday Morning Cartoons?

I just realized too that it would mean we could have a bank holiday in October but then sidestep the whole "Columbus Day" controversy.

• Like 1

Hmmm dh had today off, so we took the boat out and went fishing and crabbing.  Both of which are life skills that we think dd should have.  We talked about the fish we caught and how to find out the limits and so forth.  She caught a ray, a couple of crabs, and a few catfish.  We also did our addition drills to and from the lake.

We took off from school today, because DH has a paid holiday from work, and we don't do work on Daddy's holidays. If he didn't have off, we'd have had a school day. Columbus Day is not one of his holidays, and we will not be taking it off from school. (However, all birthdays and our anniversary are holidays from school at our house.)

We do school during bank holidays unless we're doing a "field trip" activity, like a parade, or a "unit study day", like skipping math and grammar to watch "I had a dream" and read a biography of MLK from cover to cover. We also do school on weekends as often as not.

That's how we're able to get away with taking the cat's birthday off and celebrating National The Washing Machine Broke Down And We Have To Mop Up All This Water Day and National Mom's Back Went Out So Grab Any Workbook You Want From The Shelf And Watch All The Documentaries You Want week.

• Like 1

Well, we didn't do school after all.  DH had the day off (AKA he did paperwork for work all morning!), and the kids and I went clothes shopping and to the mall playground.  Then we made homemade ice cream and had board game night with guests.  A good holiday was had! 

Back on the wagon tomorrow!