Menu

What German curric/resources for 4 yr old?

madteaparty

I'm overseas now and noticing my 4 year old is picking up languages like crazy, through no effort on my part. Her older brother is studying two languages but every bit of progress there is hard earned, nothing natural about it.

Anyway, I want to teach her German. I taught her brother french (more accurately, I facilitated his learning of the language) but I had some college french that awakened for that, plus I was fluent in Italian. I've had three months of German, enough to know the sentence structure is different from those two languages, and not something I took to...so any resources besides duolingo which I plan to do with her? I am willing to learn alongside her for a couple of years...

We used muzzy. There is a workbook etc that I bought, really expensive because classroom. It was cumbersome but usable because I had nothing else.

Are you in a German speaking area still? I would start searching discount type stores before bookstores due to price but this time of the year there should be lots of kid coloring/ workbooks available. School supplement ones. Even math with German directions is good imo. I would buy a stack. If they are cheap buy two of each in case you end up wanting to go back over things with her again. I bought in a large book chain years ago. If you can play European dvds I would pick up a few classics here because many are dubbed in several languages. For some odd reason ds used to watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks in Norwegian???? Loved it.

Have a great time!

• Like 1

http://www.pasch-net.deHave you looked here for a school? I live in New Jersey and there are a few around me. The 2 that are closest have classes for that age. The one I am putting my older son in, I think I can put my 2 year old in next year as well.

You can go to google and put the address in the search box and it will link to translate it for you.

If I had to do it again, I would get Bobo Siebenschläfer in book and audio. Alphabet Garten has it. Then, I would start her with Learnables. Don't forget music, cartoons, and apps. Learnables looks a bit boring to an adult but both my children like it. Let me know if you want more recs.

• Like 1

http://www.pasch-net.deHave you looked here for a school? I live in New Jersey and there are a few around me. The 2 that are closest have classes for that age. The one I am putting my older son in, I think I can put my 2 year old in next year as well.

You can go to google and put the address in the search box and it will link to translate it for you.

i would so love a school but we are very rural in the US.

Nope, but I'm coming through London again next week!

You might want to stop by the European Bookstore near Piccadilly. I have never been but a friend bought a stack of resources there several years ago. They were lovely and her daughter was not much older than yours at the time. http://www.germanbookshop.co.uk/germanbooks/section/m4

• Like 1

Pixi Buch on I-pad has short little books with audio. Ana Lomba has a free one in many languages. I think I got some for I-pad from Cornelsen. Disney has a few read-along books in different languages. Lingu Pingu is a loved app.

Dd's favorite app is a flashcard app called Lingo Arcade. The free version has a level for free. On youtube we love Kinderlieder zum mitsingen. But then, my kids can learn anything with songs. I pull vocab from the songs to make little mini- lessons and conversations. I wish I could find a book that did this already.

• Like 1

Thank you again everyone. I thought I'd update that the ap Gus German has been really well received here(I really love his one) as has Peppa Pig videos online (aggregated at kindertube.de). When we return to the U.S. we will watch the little pim videos which don't play where we currently are, and add some more of the resources here.