Menu

Question about Algebra 2 vs. College Algebra

Can anyone tell me the difference between taking the high school Algebra 1/Algebra 2 sequence vs. taking a College Algebra class? I only took Calculus in college so have no clue what is covered in college algebra…is it a continuation of Alg. after Alg. 2 or is it a quicker run through of Alg. 1 and 2 material?

Thanks. 

College Algebra ~ Precalculus (minus Trig)

I don't think this is always true.

My dd took College Algebra last semester at our local university. It was more of a quick review of Algebra II, geometry and anything else needed to begin Precalculus. She is taking Precalculus this semester and there is a choice of taking the Precalculus with or without Trig, depending on whether one intends to continue the Calculus classes (Precalc with trig is required to take Calculus I.)

The college Algebra text I have (D12 won it in a contest) has as it next to last chapter :

Conic Basics

The Parabola

The Ellipse

The Hyperbola

Systems of Nonlinear Equations

Systems of Nonlinear Inequalities

The last chapter is Probability

I don't know what a thing about math so I could not tell what trig looks like.

Lial's College Algebra text is simply all of the non trig chapters of her Precalculus text assembled into their own volume.

Yes, typically College Algebra is Algebra 3. It is the non-trig sections of Pre-Calc. Dd is taking it now at the local CC and while there is review of Algebra 2, it is definitely continues on past Algebra 2. We also have Lial's and EKS is exactly right about their College Algebra text. 

The college Algebra text I have (D12 won it in a contest) has as it next to last chapter :

Conic Basics

The Parabola

The Ellipse

The Hyperbola

Systems of Nonlinear Equations

Systems of Nonlinear Inequalities

The last chapter is Probability

I don't know what a thing about math so I could not tell what trig looks like.

My ds's K12 Algebra 2 textbook stops at Conic Sections.