Menu

Scholarships for transfer students

TwoEdgedSword

Ask the college. Don't assume.

* How many DE credits can a student have and still apply as a freshman?

* Are transfers eligible for most merit aid opportunities?

Our experience -- dd2 applied this spring as a transfer student. She received about the same amount of merit aid from the same caliber schools as she did when she applied the year before as a freshman. Since I had heard that transfers don't really receive any merit aid, I was pleasantly surprised .

• Like 2

You have to look at each college separately.

One of the ones mine applied to considered you a transfer student if you had done ANY college at all.  Another had a policy of not counting you as a transfer student if the credits had been earned prior to high school graduation. Dual enrollment is common at the public high schools in my area, so that's the more reasonable policy IMHO.

My oldest did dual enrollment at the local community college and is attending there now full-time. Their transfer agreements are very good, and there are indeed some transfer scholarships that he'll probably be eligible for. Some of the community college honor and professional societies also have transfer scholarships, as do some local professional organizations.

• Like 2

Agreeing with everyone that you have to check with each college.  A couple we were looking at as possible safety schools dropped off the list as dd would have been considered a transfer student.  In looking at the course offerings I can understand why as she would have had a hard time filling four years, especially in her areas of interest.  Some schools set the allowable number of credits very low and others have no limit as long as they were completed while in high school.

• Like 1

Ask the college. Don't assume.

* How many DE credits can a student have and still apply as a freshman?

* Are transfers eligible for most merit aid opportunities?

Our experience -- dd2 applied this spring as a transfer student. She received about the same amount of merit aid from the same caliber schools as she did when she applied the year before as a freshman. Since I had heard that transfers don't really receive any merit aid, I was pleasantly surprised .

This is our transfer experience as well.  We were so thrilled because we though he wouldn't get as much as a newly enrolled freshman.  We were shocked!  And thrilled!

• Like 2

DE kids have to look very carefully at schools to determine more than just if they are a freshman for admissions purposes.

Will they accept any dual enrollment credits? Only a limited number? Based on what criterai? Will the credits count towards major? Towards general education requirements? Or, only as electives?

Some schools that will treat you as a freshman also will not accept the credits, or only a limited number. Most selective colleges DD is looking at will give her at most a half-year's credit for her two years of CC work. One gives zero credit for dual enrollment classes because receiving both high school and college credit would be "double dipping" (oddly, this double-dipping rule only applies to community college, not AP!).

As a transfer, they may evaluate the entire transcript for transfer credits and save you more money in tuition over the long run since you have fewer course to take to graduate.

DD's best shot at using her DE credits is really just to stay in the state college system. The private schools on her list aren't going to take much of it.

• Like 1