Menu

Moms with Boys in Ballet

NavyMommy

I need some help. My son (5) started taking ballet because he saw how much his sister liked it, but now seems to enjoy it all on his own. He's only 5 but has taken 2 years of 1 hour pre ballet type classes. His studio starts an all boys ballet class at 6 typically, but the instructor  saw DS last year and told me I should sign him up for it. When I went to register though I found out it's a huge age range and he  would be  the youngest in the class by far (he won't even be 6 until May). 

They're going to let him try both classes out and see what he likes but I don't know if I should push him one way or the other. I just worry about him feeling out of place in a class with all girls again if he were to go for another year in pre-ballet. 

What ages did your boys start in an all boys ballet class?

my boys started in the boys class when they wanted to, for both that was as second year students.  It is a big range of ages because it is all the boys, lol.  So, ds1 is there as a 15 year old and ds2 is 10 and he is not the youngest one.  It is a time for the boys to meet each other and bond a bit.

It is expected that the boys class is in addition to his regular classes. They don't take boy's class instead of regular class. The boy's class is for jumping and turns and some mild conditioning. It is sort of the boy equivalent to pointe class. It's not a perfect equation, but it's good enough. In both cases the dancer has to continue taking barre.

If the school is offering you boys class instead of the standard barre class, I would stick with barre.  And with a 6 year old.... I might just let him stick with his year and not add anything extra on. He's young for multiple classes a week. It gets tiring and I am not sure there is a big benefit at that age, kwim? DS2 is insisting on taking 4 classes this year and I don't know how he is going to pull it off.

I would sign him up for the boys class just so he sees other boys unless the other class also has at least one boy in it. My son attended a pre-ballet class from 3 1/2 to around age 5 that was almost entirely girls, but when he was 5 he really started to realize there were so many girls and so few boys in ballet. He refused to continue. I really think he would have continued if there were a boys class. 

Our studio has a boys' class, but they specifically said my son shouldn't take it because it was less ''academic'' than the regular class, and my son wanted to do the thing seriously. At 10, he's started a partnering class in addition to his three regular classes a week. So he's now 4 classes/week plus rehearsals. He has professional aspirations, and would take class every day if he could. 

I think I would let him try out both classes and choose one.

We don't have enough boys at our school to have an all-boys ballet, but if there was one, I can guarantee my son would not want to be in it.   He loves being in classes with all girls- they are all like his sisters, and he feels like the brother who has to look out for the girls in his tribe.

One year he took an all-boys hip-hop class and told me never again.  He far prefers mixed gender classes and teams. 

As far as the age range, I would not worry about that.  Even though my DS prefers classes with the girls in it, the boys at are studio also all look out for each other.  From the youngest 4 year olds to the graduating seniors, they see their love of dance as a bond that is beyond ages and they really look out for each other and encourage each other.   

• Like 1

My boys both took pre ballet where there were only girls and there were never enough boys at any level to make a boys class. That said what is the purpose of a boys class?

To work on jumping and spinning technique for one. Men are called upon to have more power in those moves and are often going to be doing them in combinations that the women don't do as often. That requires a specific type of instruction.

It is also to get them ready for partnering class, which has its own challenges. But the boys need to work on upper body strength to be able to lift the girls.

It can also be a nice time for the boys to get to know each other. For a while, my son was the only boy in his year. If he didn't take boys class he had minimal time to actually spend any time with the boys who are in different classes. It was important to him to be able to do that.

Don't overthink it. A boys' class is important, as ballet is different for men than it is for women, but at 5 it's really about building a good foundation. I'd let him decide where he's most comfortable. He'll let you know.  :)

Our studio has a mixed-age free boys' class, from around 9-young adult (as some of the graduates will come back to attend on their school breaks or for the workout). The older boys are great models and encouragement to the younger boys. The boys in the boys' class have really bonded and become good friends. Ds was just walking by, so I asked, and he says this is one of his favorite parts of boys' class.

One of the nice things about a mixed class is that the boys rarely have to take turns once they start partnering, as there are so many girls needing partners. My ds gets quite a workout in his mixed class. He says he likes dancing with the girls, but at 12 is a little mystified by the giggling and such. ;)

Thanks everyone for the input! This school doesn't start serious ballet training until about 7, until then it's all pre ballet. I don't really see a point in him being  in an all boys class yet, mainly because he's only 5 and probably still quite a while out  from partnering and things like that (if he continues with it). I'm going to let  him try both classes, and see which he prefers. One of the selfish reasons I want him in the boys class is they'll perform in the same recital as DD, otherwise it will be 2 shows again next year :) Nothing life changing though. I had expected the studio owner to make the decision but when they called today and said it was up to me I wasn't sure which way to go. Thanks for all the experiences!!

• Like 1

He's 5.  He doesn't care yet, and honestly, he is NOT learning ballet technique yet.  Let him do what he wants.

I think if he likes it cause his sister likes it---- then have him be with girls. He's not uncomfortable with that, but he might be uncomfortable with older boys.

My 5 year old takes ballet with girls.  There are some differences- he bows when they curtsy, for example - but they are few.

My son started earlier this year at 4 for much the same reason - he saw his sisters dancing. Little dude LOVES it. His pre-ballet class starts up again later this week after a six week break (they had two summer seasons and he did both).

Our son is learning some ballet technique (we have a very formal studio) but the teachers at this age sneak it in. Learning to be attentive in class, awareness of how to move their bodies, and exploration and fun with creativity and how dancing tells a story with the body are all higher priorities than learning French at this age - the more rigorous ballet class begins with 7 year olds or highly gifted and attentive 6 year olds, so we are working toward that. No hurry, though, because these lighter classes are just what he needs at this age, even though he adores dancing and shows 'promise' (whatever that means at this age!).

Best of luck to your son. Starting young us a great way to go, both for joy of the movement and skill acquisition.

Oh, and our studio doesn't have enough boys to have a boys class. What they end up with is essentially private lessons, as there are two instructors and the class sizes are capped at between 8-12 dancers, max. So there are only three or four boys in a studio of 70, and they get adjustments or complementary lessons alongside the girls in the same class until they are quite a bit older and more advanced. That's typical of the more serious studios around here, which surprised me.

I agree not to overthink it, but make sure the boys class is still a barre class.  They might have offered it b/c they though he might be more comfortable in a class with boys. But being a boy ballet dancer means getting used to being around girls most of the time. If that is going to bother him, then it's not the right dance for him, kwim?

As long as the boys class is just as foundational as anything he would be getting in the other class, then it should be fine.