Menu

Photo Storage

goldberry

One thing to consider is did you upload them to the site at full resolution?  Or did you use the fast/express uploading, in which case Shutterfly won't store the full pictures.  Even if you did upload them at full resolution, it sounds like you can't download them from the site at full resolution but Shutterfly does offer a CD that you can buy that you can have full resolution images put on it (though you'll want to double check this to be sure that something hasn't changed).  So if you are okay with that option, then it would probably be fine.  I think if it was me I'd save them on a flash drive, so then you could get them off your computer but still have a backup. Edit: Oh never mind, I see where you say you have them on a USB drive.  Then in that case, yes, assuming you are not concerned about getting the full resolution images without paying for a CD.

• Like 1

That would not be enough for me, but I would be so sad to lose mine. I would have one on a USB (if you are talking about a flash drive) and one on an external hard drive or on 2 different external hard drives. I would keep one of these located in another place besides your home.

I may be on the paranoid side, but I have two backups (that's three different external hard drives) and a flash drive in a safe deposit box.

I'd have the grandfolks hold on to flash drives for me too if they weren't octogenarians who had more than enough stuff of their own to keep track of.

NewEgg has regular sales. I saw 4TB drives going for $100 not too long ago.

That would not be enough for me, but I would be so sad to lose mine. I would have one on a USB (if you are talking about a flash drive) and one on an external hard drive or on 2 different external hard drives. I would keep one of these located in another place besides your home.

Would you be worried about losing the online storage?  Because I see the advantage there that it is already stored outside the home.

I have all my photos stored on the external hard drive I use all the time, and on a home network server and on a big fat USB drive, which I store at a friend's house.  I'm about 10 minutes away from getting a second external hard drive instead of the server because it is so much faster than storing over the net OR on the USB.   

I store all my photos RAW, so it's a lot of data.  

A photography instructor told me that I should back up to hard media (DVD) from time to time because all of the above are subject to deterioration.  

I have all my photos stored on the external hard drive I use all the time, and on a home network server and on a big fat USB drive, which I store at a friend's house.  I'm about 10 minutes away from getting a second external hard drive instead of the server because it is so much faster than storing over the net OR on the USB.   

I store all my photos RAW, so it's a lot of data.  

A photography instructor told me that I should back up to hard media (DVD) from time to time because all of the above are subject to deterioration.  

Are DVDs supposed to be more reliable that CDs?  CDs are terrible!

My DH stores RAW as well, not many online storage places will even take RAW.  He uses an external hard drive also.  But he's never taken the time to store anything outside the home, which I think is bad.

Would you be worried about losing the online storage? Because I see the advantage there that it is already stored outside the home.

Yes. One reason is because I don't know if their storage policies will change over time--how ling are they maintained, will they start charging, etc. Not having full resolution would bother me also.

I have so many pictures of my boys from the first 10 years that are irreplacable. I have all of them on my newer desktop, many of them on my older laptop, all of them on 2 external hard drives, and a set on DVDs that I keep in our safe deposit box.

• Like 1

I think that's a strong storage solution. I use it too including the usb drives.

Shutterfly has a new app called That's Life. It'll automatically transfer all your photos from Shutterfly so you can download them anytime. Plus, it's a pretty way to look at your photos in a timeline, especially if you don't upload to a social media site like Facebook.

• Like 2

I don't know...I think that's ok. I have mine on shutterfly and Mozy. I'm always hearing about external hard drives getting fried and losing data so haven't ever used one, but that's probably my lack of tech savyness showing through.

• Like 1