Menu

More Durable: The Magic Schoolbus

We are well on our way to wearing out our second set of these books. :(. Why aren't they more durable!? Why isn't there a hardcover omnibus by now?!

Sigh.

I don't want to but another set. Give me some sturdier but similar alternatives? The Cat in the Hat science hardcovers?

I don't think there is anything comparable. They are the best science books for kids by leaps and bounds. Unfortunately nothing I have found comes close.

They did come in hardcover a long time ago. We have some from when DH was a kid, probably printed in the late 80's/early 90's in hardcover that we still use. They stand up to almost daily use, if you can find an old copy to buy.

• Like 2

What you need is vernon reddi-roll (from vernon library supplies). This is 5ml thick, library grade laminate. It's amazing, wonderful stuff and has saved many a book, and restored a number of my childhood favorites as well. (Yes, it's better than contact paper!) 

Would you mind sharing which roll exactly you buy? There are so many options! Thanks!

Would you care to share where you were able to buy these as a complete set?

I didn't buy them all at once, buy as individual copies. We've been through two of many titles now. :/. I haven't found anything comparable either :(. Those Cat in the Hat Learning Library books are...a bit boring actually. My kids leave in mid read :(. Not like the snuggly wuggly, edge of their seat Magic Schoolbus reads. It's that stupid cheap staple technique. Argh. Maybe I need to buy them, take out the staples before they rip through the cover, stitch it, and cover with book wrap.

• Like 1

For Magic School Bus, check ex-library or library bound copies. These are durable, hardcover books. New, they're expensive, but you can sometimes find them used. The downside is that it can be hard to find a nice copy that actually got removed from a library collection. For some reason, they tend to get loved to destruction there, too.

• Like 1

For Magic School Bus, check ex-library or library bound copies. These are durable, hardcover books. New, they're expensive, but you can sometimes find them used. The downside is that it can be hard to find a nice copy that actually got removed from a library collection. For some reason, they tend to get loved to destruction there, too.

There's a reason for that. They are awesome. ALL of my kids have loved these. I credit these books for getting my book phobic son to actually enjoy reading.

• Like 1

Would you mind sharing which roll exactly you buy? There are so many options! Thanks!

Measure the height of the largest book you want to cover, add at least 2" (1 for each edge), and that will be a good size for you. I've bought different sizes depending on the books I wanted to cover. I don't know how the slit-spine ones work--they didn't have that type out when I was purchasing (it's been a few years!) so I never got to try that. 

One time I bought the 16 1/2 X 400--I had a number of oversized books to cover. Another time I got the 12 1/2 by 400, which was good for most books I wanted to cover.