Menu

High School Jewish Philosophy/Worldview reading

May we share resources and ideas?

I am trying to narrow down a list of books for high school, similar to the category at Ambleside Online under 'Philosophy/worldview', except from a Jewish Perspective.

These are some of my favorite authors. The problem is choosing from among their books:

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks

Rabbi Shlomo Riskin (influenced by Rav Soloveitchik)

Rabbi Lawrence Kushner

Rabbi Joseph Telushkin

Based on an interview, I am interested in Dr. David Hartman.

I welcome ideas, suggestions, and opinions. I would appreciate any offerings from women, as well. Erica Brown comes to mind. Any one read her materials? If so, would you say they fall under this category?

Thanks,

Rachel

edit-no, I won't be able to get them to read Rabbi Saadia Gaon ;)

• Like 1

I think there's a lot of variation on thought in the Jewish community, like any other community.  I'd start by asking your Rabbi or checking out the Synagogue bookstore near you for ideas. :)

Yes, you're absolutely correct. My choices are based on my community and my former rabbi (we are shul-hunting :crying: :scared: ), and my own personal interests. Although we aren't Modern Orthodox ( as most of my choices reflect), they are men of whom I greatly respect and regard for their strong faith, scholarship, and ability to communicate the beauty of Judaism and the philosophy Western Civilization. The others are from Reform (Kushner) and traditional Orthodox/chassidic (Heshel); Hartman was Orthodox last I heard, but it was an old interview.

We are more on the Conservative side; though trying to be more observant.

I am looking to exchange ideas about what other families are planning in this area for their young men and women (as it applies).

• Like 1

Yes, you're absolutely correct. My choices are based on my community and my former rabbi (we are shul-hunting :crying: :scared: ), and my own personal interests. Although we aren't Modern Orthodox ( as most of my choices reflect), they are men of whom I greatly respect and regard for their strong faith, scholarship, and ability to communicate the beauty of Judaism and the philosophy Western Civilization. The others are from Reform (Kushner) and traditional Orthodox/chassidic (Heshel); Hartman was Orthodox last I heard, but it was an old interview.

We are more on the Conservative side; though trying to be more observant.

I am looking to exchange ideas about what other families are planning in this area for their young men and women (as it applies).

No problem, I just know some things can be fairly contentious.  I personally favor The Women's Torah Commentary but that is definitely a more liberal Reform view.  This is one in particular I have set aside for my children when they are interested, though hopefully when we move, I will have more community and resources for them. :)

I emphatically agree about pinging Eliana -- she is an amazing resource.  

What are you planning to have your kids study wrt primary texts?  Are you doing mainly Chumash, or also Gemara, Navi, etc.?   I don't have a day school education myself and my kids are still young (we homeschool but they go to day school part-time for Hebrew and Judaics) so take this for what's it's worth, but I would be inclined to build the worldview reading list around the specific primary texts that you're studying.  

No problem, I just know some things can be fairly contentious.  I personally favor The Women's Torah Commentary but that is definitely a more liberal Reform view.  This is one in particular I have set aside for my children when they are interested, though hopefully when we move, I will have more community and resources for them. :)

Yes, that is true. Hopefully, we won't have any contention on this particular post. I've seen that commentary and read through a sample. I agree with you that it is a liberal Reform view, and I found it not quite suited for us in many ways, but I liked some other parts in it. Hopefully, I can find something similar, with a more Conservative bent. I have seen and had Erica Brown's materials recommended, but have not read them yet. http://korenpub.com/koren/intusd/catalogsearch/result/?q=erica+Brown

I emphatically agree about pinging Eliana -- she is an amazing resource.  

What are you planning to have your kids study wrt primary texts?  Are you doing mainly Chumash, or also Gemara, Navi, etc.?   I don't have a day school education myself and my kids are still young (we homeschool but they go to day school part-time for Hebrew and Judaics) so take this for what's it's worth, but I would be inclined to build the worldview reading list around the specific primary texts that you're studying.  

Good questions. I will have to dig them out to remember their names (I know some of the Mussar materials were from Torah Aura).

I hope to get them into Chumash this year; yes on Gemara, just don't know that we will get too far beyond basic understanding as they don't have a chavruta; hopefully Navi. I may have to outsource some things. We fell behind these past 2-3 years as my husband had/has major illness issues that took a lot out of us, so I am trying to get back on track. They still had their B'nei Mitzvah ceremony, but everything else I had originally planned fell by the wayside.

I have a print out of a local Atlanta Jewish High School curriculum syllabus as a guide, too.

• Like 1

Yes, that is true. Hopefully, we won't have any contention on this particular post. I've seen that commentary and read through a sample. I agree with you that it is a liberal Reform view, and I found it not quite suited for us in many ways, but I liked some other parts in it. Hopefully, I can find something similar, with a more Conservative bent. I have seen and had Erica Brown's materials recommended, but have not read them yet. http://korenpub.com/koren/intusd/catalogsearch/result/?q=erica+Brown

What I mean to say is that there is material in it I'm sure I could use, and other I could not. I try not to dismiss the entirety of something; usually there's something I can use.

Thank you for the recommendation.

If anyone's got suggestions or links for things that might be a little less daunting but still introduce students to the general area, please post those as well.

All I've got so far is things like The Chosen and Sholem Aleichem. 

I'd be interested in seeing an entire curriculum similar to Ambleside that came from this perspective.