Menu

Veggie Gardeners....

Okra

Okay, so I planted fall veggies this week.  I have visions of lush spinach, swiss chard, beets, peas, lettuce.  I have visions of everything growing perfectly and beautifully.

Yes, I actually have this vision every year especially in the Spring, and I always believe that THIS is the year that everything will be perfect.  

Surely nothing bad will happen.

• Like 2

Okay, so I planted fall veggies this week.  I have visions of lush spinach, swiss chard, beets, peas, lettuce.  I have visions of everything growing perfectly and beautifully.

It's funny, those are all summer veg here: our temperatures never get very high, so they thrive in summer and wouldn't survive into autumn.  I'm harvesting peas, chard, spinach beet, French beans, salad, sweet young turnips and Brokali at the moment.

I have had no luck growing things in open ground, but in well-prepared raised beds (half top soil half good compost) I get decent crops.

• Like 1

I put in a fall sowing of lettuces, spinach and turnips a few weeks ago after I pulled out the old lettuce.  No sprouts yet, so I'm not sure they will happen.

I never have luck with a fall garden, but I'm a bit north where we really just have the ONE growing season.  It all goes in at the same time and we harvest as we go until the fall frosts roll in.