Menu

Geography to replace FIAR?

ThursdayNext

I think I'm ready to give up on FIAR. We got it when my Dd was in preK, and now she is in first grade and we still have not finished the first book of lessons. I was so sure we would love it. But the kids do NOT like reading the same book 5 days in a row, and it always gets crowded out by other things.

But on the other hand my daughter really loved parts of it and is resistant to giving it up completely. We like the picture books, but will do Picture Book Preschool by Sherri Early at least some of the time.

http://www.semicolonblog.com/?page_id=2006

The kids liked the hands on activities, like making lemonade, but we have activities in science and SOTW.

The last thing that was the very favorite part of FIAR was putting tokens on the map.

Is there a simple geography program that involves putting tokens on a map? I don't want anything with much writing or drawing at all, as they are just 6 & 4. I want it to be fun! Any ideas?

If you like the maps and tokens, and like the books, and enjoy some of the activities, why not just do it the way that works for you?  You don't have to do every lesson; you don't have to read every book 5 days in a row.

It's been a while (a long while) since we used FIAR.  Can you get the map tokens separately from the lesson materials so you don't have to buy lesson books you won't use (or use enough to be worth it)?   Of course if you already have all the lesson books, then it doesn't matter. 

• Like 3

Make your own tokens for other books you read.  There are many lists of picture books set in other countries.  You could also make tokens for the civilizations and countries you read about in SOTW.   

If you want to do more with the books than putting tokens on maps and don't want to make your own activities, try homeschoolshare.com.  You could also see if your library has Peak with Books or similar titles.

• Like 2

Galloping the Globe is a world geography program inspired by FIAR. I don't think it requires reading the same book repeatedly, though. (It's been awhile since I owned the program.) Cantering the Country is by the same authors as GtG that covers US geography.

• Like 1

I'm confused were you doing FIAR alongside SOTW & other "things"? I only ask because I think you would find it hard to enjoy FIAR if you were doing other things.. just my .02. Having said that, in the back of your FIAR book should be blank story disks as well; why not pull those out & let your children draw a small picture of the SOTW story & slip it on the map.. Just a thought.

• Like 1

My oldest is sophomore in college now.  We used FIAR when she was in K and 1st.  I added phonics and math, and magic school bus. and played with baking soda and vinegar for science. oh wait..  I've blocked out that we did some other experiments.....  blocked that out from memory now.

When a book wasn't fun to hear 5 days in a row, we'd do book A for 2 days, book B for 2 days and then play on Friday.  on a good try, we'd come back to Book A and B later.  on a reality day, it didn't matter. Reading Rainbow was on.

Honestly, if you don't like a book at this age, set it down.  and if you don't do 5 different things with book, it really does not matter in the long run.  goodness, it barely matters in the short run at this age.  don't worry.... when they are a week out from heading back to the dorm and netflix just released reading rainbow....  they'll sit for their favorite stories again.  ask me how I know.  yes.. my 20 y.o watched some favorites this week. 

with the old woman advice out of the way...

enjoy the books on your pace and terms.  snuggle time on couch when you're tired.

enjoy the picture to place on a map, or look at a globe or map... 

my oldest has to head to the dorms in 5 minutes.

• Like 2

since my oldest (edit to clarify) needs dad not me (to help with dorm move in)... I have time to share Idea for simple geography when they are 6 and 4 years young.

Get a wall map and push pins

Get a large paper map (or print one) and highlight with color places of interest to you when it makes sense.  (grandma lives in this state, we live here.)

Talk about directions when you are driving around the city.

get a map of your city and put pictures on where your friends live and your places your visit often.

you can wait a little longer on any formal geography curriculum.  If they like using the picture tokens in FIAR, use them.  Consider the idea of getting travel brochures (or magazines) to look at places beyond.  If you are a member of AAA motor, they might still have print brochures.  Those were favorites of ours.   We didn't schedule them.  We just had them out to glance and have fun.   If you're not a member, ask someone.  you don't need much.   But look at tourist vacation brochures of places.  That's intro to geography at this age, isn't it?   ooh...  places in other cities don't look like my backyard.

or at least that is what we did for geography when my oldest was the age your oldest is currently.

yes, my oldest told me to mention the reading rainbow binge watch she did.  LOL.    so glad they don't need my help for unloading boxes.  

• Like 1