Menu

Planning this school year's menu plan - DF, EF, GF, PF recipes appreciated.

IfIOnly

I do 5 week rotation and have a few spots to fill, although I don't mind repeating major favorites. We try to do whole, fresh foods rather than processed, so that's why there's not a lot of pasta, bread, etc. although I do make whole grain GF quick breads often as sides. The menu changes when the warmer months come again. If a meat goes on sale then I'll buy and adjust the menu, but the ones I've chosen are the best buys I can find regardless. I've done once a month cooking over the years, but with all my kitchen help these days, I find myself just doubling dinner and eating leftovers for lunch the next day. ETA: We do use ghee. Lots of it.

Doing this post is forcing me to gather all my thoughts and get it done. :p Would love to hear what you've got going on if you menu plan too. 

So far I've got (I'm not including sides):

Pork - Once a week (or so)

Glazed ham

Ham and Potato Chowder

White Bean Soup

Split Pea Soup

Breakfast Potatoes w/Almond Cheese

Cha Gio - Vietnamese fried spring rolls made w/rice paper and ground pork

Precooked, Frozen Chicken (deboned from boiled fryers, I make broth from the meat broth and bones) - Twice a week

Tom Kha Gai - Thai Chicken coconut soup

Curried Chicken and Rice Casserole

Terriyaki Chicken w/Roasted Veggies

Chicken Pot Pie w/Dumplings

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Enchiladas - Guacamole rather than cheese topped

Raw chicken - Once a week

Roast Fryer w/Pan Gravy

BBQ

Fajitas

Shish Kabobs

Ground Beef - Twice a week

Tacos - DF, lot's of guacamole and pico

Chili

Meatloaf - GF

Curry Beef Stew - Indian

Keema Aloo - Indian ground beef and potatoes

Hamburger Vegetable Soup

Shepherd's pie

Taco Soup

Meatless - Once a week

Saar - Indian Tomato Soup

Pizza- GFDF

Aloo Tiki - Indian Potato Patties

DF Cream Soup - Whatever veggies are on sale, broccoli and winter squash are favorites

Falafel (maybe, most the side dishes I like with it are summery, so ?)

What about seafood?

Shrimp fried rice (I sub cauliflower for half the rice)

Fish and chips

Broiled fish on salads

Thank you! I pretty much can only do seafood when it's on sale or use it very sparingly in a dish due to cost. We do lots fishing in the summer (clean freshwater rivers and lakes around here) and eat quite a bit of it then. I do have an Asian canned salmon salad recipe that I love in the summer too. Before egg allergies were dx, I made salmon patties as well. Sometimes I make Tom Kha Gai with canned salmon. Yum. 

Peanut Free. Oh the days when we could do easy peasy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch. And I miss peanut dipping sauce too!

Oh duh! I am peanut free and I don't even see them as food anymore. 😄😄

So you do use traditional gf food? What I mean is the gf convience foods. Or do you find you need to restrict those too? I find that we can't use them as we try to be legume free too.

• Like 1

A few cheap easy favorites here

"Cabbage pot" Steamed cabbage, onions and carrots with Keilbasa

Italian sausage cooked with granny smith apples and onions

Lentils cooked in stock with a little bacon, some onions and some frozen mixed veggies.

• Like 1

Oh duh! I am peanut free and I don't even see them as food anymore. 😄😄

So you do use traditional gf food? What I mean is the gf convience foods. Or do you find you need to restrict those too? I find that we can't use them as we try to be legume free too.

We cook most things from scratch to stay within our budget and for nutritional reasons. What I buy the most are potato and corn chips, corn tortillas (although dh will make these for meals and I usually take him up on it), rice papers, canned tomato products and coconut milk, frozen veggies, almond cheese (although I've experimented with making my own cheaper versions), every once in a while I use instant potato flakes. :) That's about it though. I do make lots of whole grain quick breads (I grind my own flour usually for corn bread, savory muffins, biscuitsm dumplings) but haven't been able to pull off making decent mostly whole grain GF loaf bread. The stuff at the stores is mostly white, processed GF flours or too expensive and almost never decent for sandwich bread regardless. 

ETA: I used to buy Trader Joes's corn pasta, but they discontinued it and the other options are pretty expensive. To make something like GF DF mac and cheese would be so expensive!

A few cheap easy favorites here

"Cabbage pot" Steamed cabbage, onions and carrots with Keilbasa

Italian sausage cooked with granny smith apples and onions

Lentils cooked in stock with a little bacon, some onions and some frozen mixed veggies.

Great, thanks!

Pulled pork (crock pot)

Chicken tetrazzini with spaghetti squash?

Stuffed chicken breasts or thighs. This weekend I stuffed with minced marinated artichokes, sun dried tomatoes in oil, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Yummy!

Stroganoff. I know a recipe that is made with cashew cream. I will look for the recipe in a minute. Darn! It is only in Against all grain, meals made simple cookbook! 😕

Gazpacho for meatless

• Like 1

Pulled pork (crock pot)

Chicken tetrazzini with spaghetti squash?

Stuffed chicken breasts or thighs. This weekend I stuffed with minced marinated artichokes, sun dried tomatoes in oil, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Yummy!

Stroganoff. I know a recipe that is made with cashew cream. I will look for the recipe in a minute. Darn! It is only in Against all grain, meals made simple cookbook! 😕

Gazpacho for meatless

What would you serve with the pulled pork? When we could do gluten, I made a yummy pork coleslaw sandwich. Burgers, sloppy joes, and hot and cold sandwiches of all kinds were favorites too. :P

What would you serve with the pulled pork? When we could do gluten, I made a yummy pork coleslaw sandwich. Burgers, sloppy joes, and hot and cold sandwiches of all kinds were favorites too. :P

Can you make gluten free cornbread? That would be yummy.

• Like 1

Looks yummy. Thank you, Panda.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a gf pasta or hamburger bun/hoagie roll recipe? The store bought ones almost always have eggs and dairy in them and are super expensive to boot. Processed/ white GF flours are okay as ingredients.

What about keema matar (Indian ground beef and peas)?  I wonder if you could do a double batch of the keema and do some with potato and some with peas?

Fajitas....can make tapioca wraps in place of flour tortillas or use corn.  Can be made with precooked chicken too, just add some fajita spices to peppers and onions, cook....and then add some more spices to the meat as you cook it.  (Cumin powder, onion powder, garlic powder, maybe a little cayenne.) 

For meatless, there's an Egyptian dish called koshary, which is lentils, chickpeas, and rice in a  tomato sauce with very browned onions.  You could use GF pasta or leave it out.  

• Like 1

Looks yummy. Thank you, Panda.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a gf pasta or hamburger bun/hoagie roll recipe? The store bought ones almost always have eggs and dairy in them and are super expensive to boot. Processed/ white GF flours are okay as ingredients.

You're welcome. It's my one vegan recipe that I love.

Spaghetti squash for pasta? Or eggplant Parmesan . . . hold the parm?

I've sliced potatoes, boiled them a bit, then brushed them with a mustard/mayo mix and a little salt. I then toss these on the grill. They're tasty and could serve as a 'bun' for a patty melt.

• Like 1

What about keema matar (Indian ground beef and peas)?  I wonder if you could do a double batch of the keema and do some with potato and some with peas?

Fajitas....can make tapioca wraps in place of flour tortillas or use corn.  Can be made with precooked chicken too, just add some fajita spices to peppers and onions, cook....and then add some more spices to the meat as you cook it.  (Cumin powder, onion powder, garlic powder, maybe a little cayenne.) 

For meatless, there's an Egyptian dish called koshary, which is lentils, chickpeas, and rice in a  tomato sauce with very browned onions.  You could use GF pasta or leave it out.  

Thanks you!

You're welcome. It's my one vegan recipe that I love.

Spaghetti squash for pasta? Or eggplant Parmesan . . . hold the parm?

I've sliced potatoes, boiled them a bit, then brushed them with a mustard/mayo mix and a little salt. I then toss these on the grill. They're tasty and could serve as a 'bun' for a patty melt.

We really like spaghetti squash as a pasta sub, but, unfortunately, it's more expensive than store bought GF pasta. If I can find a great sale on it though, I stock up.

I like the patty melt idea!

Spaghetti Squash is easy to grow and freezes well. Do you have room to garden? It can be grown vertically to reduce its space needs.

Our growing season is too short without a green house for ss. If we had more land, I'd love to set one up and grow a bunch of it though. So yummy and versatile.

I found an egg free rice flour sandwich bread recipe in Every Last Crumb. She also has an egg allergy but this is the best she can do.

There's a bunch of eggs in the recipe, and we're allergic to them. Bummer. There's pretty much just quick and flat bread options that I've come across that are egg, dairy, and gluten free.