Menu

Picture books featuring different landforms

Sarah0000

Here's the table of contents of the landforms and bodies of water section of Evan Moore's Beginning Geography workbook:

1. Hills and Mountains
  2. Islands and Volcanoes
  3. Deserts and Plains
  4. Canyons and Valleys
  5. Oceans, Lakes, and Rivers

I want to find picture books that take place in each of these types of places. I'm looking for fictional, fun stories that can be about anything and not specifically aimed at teaching about the landforms. When I search I find mostly non fiction books containing mostly facts. I'm looking for stories a bit more about life in these places, even if its indirectly describing it. Suggestions?

• Like 1

Here are some suggestions I found on book lists-though I haven't read them yet. (but I like that Idea, and might do that as we're using that book this year, too).

Volcano: Village of round and square houses by Grifalconi(a village on the side of a volcano)

Gopher to the rescue by Jennings (gophers' tunnels help an erupted volcano recover with new life)

Hill of Fire by Lewis (birth of a volcano in a mexican farmers' field)

Here are some suggestions I found on book lists-though I haven't read them yet. (but I like that Idea, and might do that as we're using that book this year, too).

Volcano: Village of round and square houses by Grifalconi(a village on the side of a volcano)

Gopher to the rescue by Jennings (gophers' tunnels help an erupted volcano recover with new life)

Thank you. I'm still debating on whether or not to get the workbook. Do you think the workbook is worth doing if we are also reading related books, both the non fiction factual type and the kinds I'm looking for here? We also have the book Follow That Map and different kinds of maps to play with already.

Maybe turn it into a cultural study. Search for books related to the people who live in those areas.

These are some we've read during history.

The Goat in the Rug - Desert

Up and Down the Andes & Love and Roast Chicken: A Trickster Tale from the Andes Mountains - Mountains

The Fisherman and the Turtle - River (or maybe ocean...I don't remember)

The Day the Stones Walked - Island

The Wild Girl - Mountains

I think many of Jan Brett's books take place in the mountains. Karma Wilson's Bear books for mountains/valleys maybe.

Look up books about boats, fish, turtles, dolphins, etc. for rivers and oceans.

Not sure how you might feel about it, but I can tell you what I did with my mythology-loving dd:)

There are creation myths for each type of landform in abundance! We read more than a few (for example for islands we read about Pele and Hawaii, the legend of Turtle Island, and creation myths from Fiji and Japan). We compared the myths and then we read non-fiction books about how they were actually formed. The Let's Read and Find out About Science books and the True Books are awesome for that. It even turned cultural as we talked about the places the legends came from and how their specific geography might have influenced them. We also watched YouTube videos.

It was Lot of fun:)

• Like 1

1. On Call Back Mountain by Eve Bunting - My Side of the Mountain I prefer, but it is much longer and not a picture book

2. The little Island by Golden MacDonald - Jock's Island by Elizabeth Jane Coatsworth is also worth looking at (longer)

The island of the Skog by Steven Kellogg

3. Sing down the rain by Judi Morellon - Desert Dan by Elizabeth Jane Coatsworth is longer

Underwear! by Mary Elise Monsell (yes, seriously this is a picture book about grasslands - and it is fun)

Bringing the rain to Kapiti Plain by Verna Aardema

4. Brighty of the Grand Canyon

The search for the Great Valley by Jim Razzi - yes this is a dinosaur book, but it discusses canyons and valleys and their differences

Tiger Territory - A story of the Chitwan Valley by Ann Whitehead Nagda 

5. Where the river begins by Thomas Locker

Letting Swift River Go by Jane Yolen or A River Ran Wild by Lynne Cherry or The Raft by Jim LaMarche

Island Boy by Barbara Cooney

Cactus Hotel by Brenda Guiberson

Down, Down the Mountain by Ellis Credle or When the Whippoorwill Calls by Candice Ransom

Night of the Moonjellies by Mark Shasha

The Magic Hill by A. A. Milne

Pele and the Rivers of Fire by Michael Nordenstrom

I wasn't sure of the age, so the levels vary a bit. Hope this helps a little. :)

I immediately thought of trickster and other folk tales. Using books by Eric Kimmel and Gerald McDermott alone would probably cover all of the landforms.

For example:

Monkey: A Trickster Tale from India - River

Coyote - Desert

Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa - Mountains/Hills

Pig-Boy: A Trickster Tale from Hawai'i - Island/Volcano

List to Gerald McDermott's books on Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/Gerald-McDermott/e/B001IR3CB8/ref=la_B001IR3CB8_pg_1?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_82%3AB001IR3CB8&ie=UTF8&qid=1439032962.

Both authors are popular enough that supplemental activities can likely be found for many of their books. 

Not sure how you might feel about it, but I can tell you what I did with my mythology-loving dd:)

There are creation myths for each type of landform in abundance! We read more than a few (for example for islands we read about Pele and Hawaii, the legend of Turtle Island, and creation myths from Fiji and Japan). We compared the myths and then we read non-fiction books about how they were actually formed. The Let's Read and Find out About Science books and the True Books are awesome for that. It even turned cultural as we talked about the places the legends came from and how their specific geography might have influenced them. We also watched YouTube videos.

It was Lot of fun:)

• Like 1

We're doing a geology scavenger hunt this year based on Geography from A to Z. Following this thread, since picture books would go nicely. We may use a few Evan Moore books, as well.

We really enjoyed this book as well.  We've been reading picture books around the world (a different country or region each week).  Here are some suggestions based on landforms:

Hills and Mountains:

Wee Gillis

When I Was Young in the Mountains

Islands and Volcanoes:

Nights of the Pufflings

Tsunami!

The Turtle and the Island

Deserts and Plains:

A Prairie Boy's Winter

A Prairie Boy's Summer

Canyons and Valleys:

Wee Gillis