Menu

Furniture question: I need to combine a 2-seat dining table with 2 comfy reading chairs ...

milovany

meaning, I don't want to do both, but use the same two chairs and same table for light dining as for sitting comfortably and reading.  Does that make sense?  It's a small space and I just realized I'd open the room up more if I didn't have two tables and four chairs in there for the two functions.  I'm picturing a couple of wing-back type chairs scooted up to a round regular-height table but is that really practical for eating?  Seems like if you're sitting back in this type of chair, you'd be too far from the table.  Any thoughts/pictures/ideas?

• Like 1

Thanks heart and happi!  Both helpful posts.  I goodsearched "upholstered dining chair" as happi mentioned and so am looking at something like this or this (I like the faux leather one).  You'd still have to sit forward for eating, as heart described, but they could be comfy enough for sitting and reading, too.  Easier to move around than a wingback type chair (heart, I was thinking like you, but was just thinking we'd read where the chairs were, next to the table -- although could pull the table away I suppose).

• Like 1

This is what I came up with ~

d06069eb-4922-484f-9872-76555373954f_zps

Seems it will work both for eating at the table and reading (the lamp may not stay here, just put it there for a picture I needed).  I'd prefer plusher armchairs but the space is so much smaller than I realize it is when I'm away from it. There's a wall with a big picture window about four feet in front of these chairs and there's no room to the left, as you can see, and very little to the right.  I still have some wall decorating to do here. 

• Like 4

We're making covers, for sure!  Yeah, I don't want to do white either.  The chairs were "as-is" because of some dinginess on the upholstery so they need covers.  Will find a fun fabric.  This is our future Airbnb rental.  :)

happi duck, I'm probably going to put a narrow sofa table under said-window and under that maybe I'll put a little stool or two.  Stools are a great idea. 

• Like 3

We're making covers, for sure! Yeah, I don't want to do white either. The chairs were "as-is" because of some dinginess on the upholstery so they need covers. Will find a fun fabric. This is our future Airbnb rental. :)

happi duck, I'm probably going to put a narrow sofa table under said-window and under that maybe I'll put a little stool or two. Stools are a great idea.

Stools/ottomans are a great idea! It gives you cozy reading for two OR seating for four! Stealing it!

Didn't mention my shopping adventure above, but I found these items at an upscale resale shop. Really cool store! It's located on one level of a converted parking garage -- it's really big and just full of stuff at decent prices. The store is more than an hour from where I live, but worth the drive. Up next: IKEA for bedroom stuff! 😊

• Like 1