Menu

Small parrot owners, what kind of bird do you have, and a couple other questions...

StaceyinLA

I had a quaker parrot and a senegal parrot some years back. I had an African Grey for about a week and could not live with her in the house due to dust/dander. I was sick the entire time.

Yesterday I bought a green-cheek conure because I really wanted another bird. I have been stuffy and sick since last night, even to the point of feeling like my throat is getting tight.

I am very upset. I love my chickens and really want to have a bird.

Is there anything y'all can think of that I could do to tone down the allergens? Conures are not known to be dustier birds, so I know if I can't keep her, I won't be able to keep anything. I just know that if I have to return her to the breeder, I don't want to wait too long and be any more attached.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about the different species of Parrots (there are approximately 500 species of birds in the mountains to our West), but I have a suggestion for you, regarding allergies. If you have carpeting on the floors, if you can have that and the padding  removed and then thoroughly clean what remains.  Then, have floor tiles installed. You will have far fewer allergy problems after doing that. Parrot or no parrot,

We have a Parrot and she lives in our inner patio, but I doubt that you have an inner patio, if you live where heating and cooling are necessary.

Our parrot is typical of the flock that live in our rural subdivision.  Someone who was moving out of the country gave my wife this bird and she was too old at that time to release into the wild.  Our previous parrot passed away at the age of 48 years, so some of them have a very long lifespan and you are correct to try to find one that you will not have health problems with.

If you are in the USA be careful who you purchase from. There is a lot of illegal trafficking.  Try to get papers that the bird was imported legally or that it was born in the USA.  GL

As a bird lover I'm going to have request pics of your new avian friend :D

African Greys are some of my faves! We currently have a cockatiel, definitely not advised for someone who suffers from allergies to dander as they shed a lot of it. What about a spray that is good for nourishing their feathers? That would also help keep the dander down simply by virtue of the moisture. Or you could shower with her. Conures *love* this and it's super fun to watch them go all kooky with the joy of the water. That would definitely help with the dander.

• Like 2

Oh, no advise but parrot lover here too...I have had so many over the years including a few Cockatiels, a few Lovebirds, a Senegal, a Meyer's, a Green-Cheeked Conure, a Caique, a Jardines and we currently have a 16 year old African Grey.

I hope you find some solution to your allergies, they are such a joy to have. We only have the grey right now but how I miss my other boys!

The green-cheeked parrots are nice because they're not that big but they can still learn to speak and they are typically easier to handle them some of the bigger Poicephalus parrots.

Good Luck! And, I agree pictures are required!

Thanks for the replies. We have no carpeting in our home. It is all slate ceramic tile and has been ever since we moved in.

I've misted her to try and help the dander. She is young and I don't know if she would do well showering at this point, and I'm going to have to make a decision sooner rather than later about keeping her. It's gonna be hard enough to bring her back after just a few days, and the breeder is willing to refund me and take her back within a reasonable time.

At this point, I'm thinking we will have to return her. It is very obvious that I have become more sensitive over the years. I can't hold her for 5 minutes without my eyes itching and burning, clawing my nose off my face, and feeling like my throat is tight. It's awful.

Since I wanted a bird as a companion, and not just a room ornament, I know returning her is the right thing. It's just really gonna suck doing it.  :(

I will post a pic though if I can figure out how.

:grouphug: We had a blue front amazon for years that I loved dearly. Dh developed allergies at the same time I had a bed rest pregnancy.....the bird now lives with the vets assistant. :( My bird loved showers especially when he was able to be on a towel rack and be sprayed. I don't think frequent showers for the bird would have helped our allergy situation but I think they are happier in the shower if they have a secure perch. He was also fine on a rubber bath mat in a pinch.