Menu

What would you do with this kid?

My ds is not my most academically minded child but picks things up very quickly and thoroughly when interested. I home schooled him through 7th grade then he went to public school until I pulled him out last year (two months into 11th grade) because he was having difficulty in two classes due to the school's block schedule…stuffing all the material into 4 months and no time in class for individual learning styles was not working for him. Since I was teaching him all the material over again at home and he was depressed and begging to homeschool, it was the best choice.

I pulled him out, re-started the classes he was having difficulty in (pre-calc and chemistry) allowing him to work at his own pace and let him pick some electives like photography and a couple online sound engineering courses. The rest of the year went well. He is currently involved in an Irish dance show stage production camp and the music director who is also the music director of a real Irish dance show, is asking him to send in a CV and video to audition for the touring dance show. No idea whether he'd be accepted if he applied or the time table but trying to decide the best route to take for his senior year. 

My choices at the moment, as far as I can see, seem to be having him study to take a GED while continuing to follow his already chosen courses for next year waiting to see if anything happens, some online course options he can continue if he should go off and tour the world, or some option I have yet to figure out. His idea for post-graduation prior to this camp was a community college program for sound engineering.

Any suggestions?

How many more credits does he actually need to graduate with a homeschool diploma according to your state requirements?  If his load isn't too heavy for his senior year, maybe he could finish up the whole year on the road. If that doesn't work, could he finish his highschool courses over a longer period of time?  I would think that, along with this excellent opportunity on his resume, this would still reflect very well on him.  He could also begin college once he gets home and complete his highschool courses there as dual credit. Personally, I would only do the GED as a last resort.

• Like 1

My ds is not my most academically minded child but picks things up very quickly and thoroughly when interested. I home schooled him through 7th grade then he went to public school until I pulled him out last year (two months into 11th grade) because he was having difficulty in two classes due to the school's block schedule…stuffing all the material into 4 months and no time in class for individual learning styles was not working for him. Since I was teaching him all the material over again at home and he was depressed and begging to homeschool, it was the best choice.

I pulled him out, re-started the classes he was having difficulty in (pre-calc and chemistry) allowing him to work at his own pace and let him pick some electives like photography and a couple online sound engineering courses. The rest of the year went well. He is currently involved in an Irish dance show stage production camp and the music director who is also the music director of a real Irish dance show, is asking him to send in a CV and video to audition for the touring dance show. No idea whether he'd be accepted if he applied or the time table but trying to decide the best route to take for his senior year. 

My choices at the moment, as far as I can see, seem to be having him study to take a GED while continuing to follow his already chosen courses for next year waiting to see if anything happens, some online course options he can continue if he should go off and tour the world, or some option I have yet to figure out. His idea for post-graduation prior to this camp was a community college program for sound engineering.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't do a GED. Well-educated people don't have to have pre-calc and chemistry. If his other academic studies are going well, I'd continue with those and graduate him next spring.

• Like 3

First, I'd look over my state's requirements for high school graduation. I'd determine what courses (beyond electives) he needed to graduate , then attempt to teach those on an accelerated schedule--using materials custom selected to match his learning style with accomodations for any learning disabilties (and if not already diagnosed, I'd be on the lookout for hidden learning disorders.) If he got the Irish dance job, what I'd do would depend on how far he'd gotten through the required courses. I'd try to figure out if he'd met at least the minimum to give him a passing grade for those required subjects. His job would qualify for some type of elective credit in art or technology or something his transcript. Any incomplete required course work could be completed while he works in his time-off, with help from technology and me as his teacher. I'd make sure he had a computer, a scanner, email and skype. Depending on circumstances, I would consider traveling with him--or frequent visits to his locations-- help him complete his high school coursework. Anything that you'd consider as an on-line class, I'd do now, with the hopes of getting significantly through it so that most of our work would be done together in person and whatever wasn't completed we'd do via distance learning with me as teacher.

Before granting him his homeschool high school diploma, if I had any doubt that he was getting a "good enough" high school education, I'd look at practice GED tests and compare how his knowledge compares to their requirements. Even if he didn't ever take the GED, I'd work with him to make sure he was capable of passing it. Besides meeting whatever state requirements there may be for high school graduation, I'd want both of us to feel confident that his homeschool high-school education adequately prepared him with enough knowledge to pass the GED

(And I'd pray for him a lot.)

Why a GED? He is not a dropout.

I would homeschool him through 12th grade, make sure the combined public high school and home school experience fulfill the graduation requirements in your state (if there are any for homeschoolers) and award him a high school diploma.

This. 

I'm confused why you  would pursue a GED for him now. I take it the dance group is potentially leaving on tour before he can finish the year? If so, I'd look at what he needs to graduate.

I know from your first post, he can count 4 credits of math, Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry and Pre-Calc. I'm assuming if he just had Chemistry, he has had 3 credits of high school science already. He probably needs 4 credits of English, and at least 2 of social studies, then some elective. Since he was in ps, I'm going to assume he has 3 credits of English done and at least 2 of social studies.

Surely, even if he is going away soon, he could finish one more credit of English (now or as he goes) and have enough credits to graduate from high school. I would award him a diploma, not quit now and get a GED. If he is a few credits short look at some open and go options to finish out his last year that he can do before he goes on even while traveling.

I wouldn't leave a kid who has gotten through pre-calc and chemistry with no high school diploma!

• Like 1

This. 

I'm confused why you  would pursue a GED for him now. I take it the dance group is potentially leaving on tour before he can finish the year? If so, I'd look at what he needs to graduate.

I know from your first post, he can count 4 credits of math, Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry and Pre-Calc. I'm assuming if he just had Chemistry, he has had 3 credits of high school science already. He probably needs 4 credits of English, and at least 2 of social studies, then some elective. Since he was in ps, I'm going to assume he has 3 credits of English done and at least 2 of social studies.

Surely, even if he is going away soon, he could finish one more credit of English (now or as he goes) and have enough credits to graduate from high school. I would award him a diploma, not quit now and get a GED. If he is a few credits short look at some open and go options to finish out his last year that he can do before he goes on even while traveling.

I wouldn't leave a kid who has gotten through pre-calc and chemistry with no high school diploma!

For myself, I don't believe homeschoolers need to count credits in order to be graduated (unless they live in one of the two states that specify what homeschoolers must do to be graduated). In the OP's case, her ds already has a possible career path that doesn't require college--the only reason to try to earn a certain number of credits in specific areas--and has already talked about community college. I think he's doing well. If he were mine, I'd graduate him in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

For myself, I don't believe homeschoolers need to count credits in order to be graduated (unless they live in one of the two states that specify what homeschoolers must do to be graduated). In the OP's case, her ds already has a possible career path that doesn't require college--the only reason to try to earn a certain number of credits in specific areas--and has already talked about community college. I think he's doing well. If he were mine, I'd graduate him in a heartbeat.

Maybe I am over thinking this but I thought of a GED because I want him to have some sort of validation of his high school experience otherwise, couldn't any high school dropout have mom give him a diploma and say he was home schooled?

It is different with his sister. She tests well and will have nice SAT or ACT scores plus some online classes and DE or AP courses to back up her knowledge. I feel comfortable that by the end of high school, her resume/transcripts will clearly demonstrate her abilities.

Touring dance shows are not the most stable job choice. I think if it happens, it would be a wonderful experience for him and may lead to other opportunities to use his music abilities but do you have any idea how many times a show like, say Riverdance, has had their "last show"? I see friends who tour with shows scramble to find work when their shows are on break or they think they will end. I don't want to do him a disservice by "graduating" him and someday he need validation of that or can he just begin to take community college classes as an adult?

I am doing a lot of praying for wisdom for him and I both. 

Maybe I am over thinking this but I thought of a GED because I want him to have some sort of validation of his high school experience otherwise, couldn't any high school dropout have mom give him a diploma and say he was home schooled?

It is different with his sister. She tests well and will have nice SAT or ACT scores plus some online classes and DE or AP courses to back up her knowledge. I feel comfortable that by the end of high school, her resume/transcripts will clearly demonstrate her abilities.

Touring dance shows are not the most stable job choice. I think if it happens, it would be a wonderful experience for him and may lead to other opportunities to use his music abilities but do you have any idea how many times a show like, say Riverdance, has had their "last show"? I see friends who tour with shows scramble to find work when their shows are on break or they think they will end. I don't want to do him a disservice by "graduating" him and someday he need validation of that or can he just begin to take community college classes as an adult?

Truth is, yes, parents can create diplomas that are not earned. So can public schools.

But as everyone is saying, this is not your child's scenario. He doesn't need a GED or a diploma that he (and you) can't even respect, because he's a real student. He's got an academic history for high school, plus his current work that should be counted on his transcript. You just need to think outside the box a little more, I think...

I liked what Pam L said about looking at CC admissions requirements, to be sure you cover whatever he needs to start there after the tour if he wants.

Momto2Ns has begun to lay out the credits he already has, to show you that there's an awful lot there already.

You can properly graduate this student with a real homeschool diploma.

A GED in no way "validates" his high school experience. High SAT/ACT scores might, but not a GED. A GED would do just the opposite: make all your work with him, and his work, as well, null and void.

Yes, any mother can give a diploma to a "high school drop out," but do you know any who have done that? No? So you're imagining something that (1) has never happened, and (2) it would not be the case with your son.

Your ds will not need a GED to attend college in the future. He will have a high school diploma because you awarded it to him. He will take whatever entrance exams might be required for the community college (depends on which state you live in).

• Like 1

... I don't want to do him a disservice by "graduating" him and someday he need validation of that or can he just begin to take community college classes as an adult?

If you've been homeschooling in accordance with your state laws and your DS has met state graduation requirements, then the diploma you issue him is just as valid as any other HS diploma. There are plenty of unaccredited private schools whose students have no "validation" beyond the grades and credits the school lists, and there are plenty of PS kids who are given passing grades, and HS diplomas, they have not really earned.

If your son has passed chemistry and precalculus, then he deserves an actual high school diploma, not a GED that will forever stigmatize him as a high school drop out. You do not want him to have to check the "no" box on every job application that asks if he has a HS diploma. Since he was in PS for two years, he probably has almost all the required credits except for a 4th English credit, which would be easy to finish out either this summer or while he's on the road if he gets the touring job. 

• Like 3

A GED in no way "validates" his high school experience. High SAT/ACT scores might, but not a GED. A GED would do just the opposite: make all your work with him, and his work, as well, null and void.

This is a good point. For example, the math section only covers arithmetic, some algebra, and basic geometry (area, perimeter, etc). Not only will it not "validate" the Algebra II and Precalculus classes, it implies that the student never covered those — otherwise why would he have settled for a GED rather than a diploma?

• Like 3