Menu

Best way to save money on RightStart Math & manipulatives

abh413

I finally decided on RS2 A for our math (newbie homeschooler here). I've seen it mentioned that there is usually a Black Friday deal. Does anyone know what that deal usually is? Is it consistent from year to year typically? How much of a savings is it? Is it books, manipulatives or both? (of course, I know, there's no way to actually know... Just looking for experience.)

My DD will be doing K5 work this fall & I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to wait for Black Friday to order. We will have plenty to work on until then so I'm not concerned with that. I just don't want to spend money if I can save a decent amount by waiting. If its only a few bucks then I will go ahead & purchase.

Please let me know what you think. TIA!

I don't remember what the deal is usually like.

But one way to save money on it can be to haunt the e-mail group for Rightstart.  People often sell used on there, and A edition 2 has been out for long enough you might find it.  And you might find manipulative kits used, too, or at least a big portion of them.

• Like 1

The Black Friday deal at RS is not worth waiting for unless you get really lucky. All it has been the last 3 years is a clearance of their slightly damaged or returned or overstocked items. Very hit and miss, and not a great deal anyway:(

RS and AAS just don't really go on sale. On the other hand, they are often found used at good prices:)

• Like 1

Convention specials are helpful mostly on shipping prices. Call the office and ask if they have any gently used or secondhand items for sale. Sometimes things from conventions get a little warped or what-have-you so they sell them at a lesser price. But you have to call and ask. Now would be a great time for that as convention season is coming to a close. Also, make a WTB post on the Rightstart yahoo group. You can usually get the books cheaply on there. You can also piecemeal things together as RS sells every single tiny item separately, if needed. The ladies on the yahoo page and at the office are extremely kind and helpful so don't hesitate to contact them. They want to help!

Full disclosure: Former RS employee who would still be one if she didn't live in Japan ;)

• Like 1

The Black Friday deal is about 30% off, but only on whatever overstock, previously returned, or displayed at convention items they have. While I did pick up a couple extra abacuses (abacii?), I've never noticed full manipulative kits. I have picked up the books for the next year each of the previous two years for about $50 instead of the usual $85. I poked through and noticed that they consistently have all the V2 books available in that deal, even the newest release. Both times I ordered, my purchase of "seconds" came still sealed and in perfect condition.

• Like 1

The Swap Board is now the Classifieds. Link is in the big blue bar at the top.

I did get a pretty sweet deal on my Right Start Math Games one year during that Black Friday sale. They were supposedly a convention model, but they hardly looked touched and had been repackaged. And I saved more than 30% - I think it was at least 50% off. But, I haven't seen such a good deal in more recent years, so that's something to consider, I guess.

• Like 1

Just to complicate matters, might I suggest that you try RS1 so you can make sure you plan to stick with RS before investing in all the manipulatives?

That's what I did 😊. I had used RS1 B with my elder dd, so I was familiar with it, but you just never know what will click with a particular child. I just couldn't justify buying the full manipulative kit in K. So, I got most items used, and bought the few individual items I still needed directly from RS.

If we end up deciding to stick with RS for the long haul, I will buy the bridge kit they offer to get us from what manipulatives we have for RS1 to the next level of RS2.

HTH (sorry!)

• Like 2