Menu

Spanish TV shows for kids learning Spanish

My 7 year old DS is learning Spanish this year. We have the mp3s for the text books that he is using and we listen to them when we do the lessons so that our pronunciation is good. We might add outside Spanish classes in a year or two.

My DH learned Spanish in high school and converses a little in Spanish every day, but it is not enough. So, I let DS watch some Salsa and Sesame street TV episodes in Spanish and he likes them. But, he is too old for them. I am looking for Spanish TV shows that are suitable for kids (not the toddler set, but a little older). Any recommendations? I would like to help him pick up conversation skills. TIA!

Do you have the Magic Schoolbus DVDs? They have a Spanish play option (I think they are on YouTube in Spanish as well) that I have been using with my dd.

They are also on Netflix in Spanish.

OP, what do you have available to you?

• Like 1

Hmm, I know many dvds can be switched to Spanish, so getting dvds at the library are your best bet. Amazon Prime just is not good for Spanish language shows like Netflix has. I have our Netflix on with a Spanish default. I'll go through my Netflix list and see which are kid shows in Spanish, or might be available in Spanish. It'll be a bit later though as I'm supposed to be doing homework, lol!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the links. I will get onto the youtube episodes right away! I am going to investigate the Spanish play options on all the kids DVDs that we own (we do have quite a bit of Magic School Bus and Dora and Diego).

Renai, I look forward to your suggestions (no hurry, please take your time).

How do you switch Netflix shows to Spanish?

Not all of them are capable, but when you click on the show/movie, on the list is shows captions/audio. You can choose from there. Oh, that's on Roku. If watching from the computer, click on the show first. There is an icon when you hover it shows the language audio you can choose. The detail page will tell you what languages it is available in.

Ok, i'm coming back after doing stuff. On the computer, hover on Browse to see a drop-down. Click on Captions and Subtitles. On that screen, choose Spanish. All programs with a Spanish option will show. Some are only subtitled, many are audio. El Chavo and Chapolin Colorado are family-friendly shows.

• Like 1