Menu

Can't stop thinking about MFW!?......

Mommamia

I have my curriculum all set, pretty much from WTM suggestions. My boys are 6 and doing a mix of K/1st work. All of a sudden I'm thinking about My Father's World-constantly. :tongue_smilie:

It's driving me crazy. Anyone using it for the first time this yr and in love/dislike with it? Is the TM worth the price? I tried Heart of Dakota which is similar and was not in love with it(shelved it). Is MFW meatier?

I don't want to ask on the MFW site, I'm guessing they will all give positive reviews.

TIA

Thanks for the input so far!

Adventures looks interesting to me. I would consider it for next yr, which would be our official 1st grade-7yr old yr. I like the idea of the state study.

But, then I think.....I can make my own state study. This may sound totally crazy, but would it do me any good to have the TM on hand? Just for reference, sort of a guide for me to plan my own thing. Not worth it?

I know that feeling! LOL

We used Adventures and Exploring Countries and Cultures.

I loved Adventures! It was great - my girls were 4 and 7 and it was a wonderful fit! I plan to use it when my 3yo is 6/7...

ECC was terribly boring, the resource books were all over the map in terms of grade levels and were not living books (I'm trying to recall anything particularly CM about that year and I can't...).

Anyway, those are the only 2 years we did. I didn't go with their 4 year history cycle for various reasons.

Not sure if that helps any...:D

Well, so far I have used K (2 x) First (2x) and it was amazing for teaching them to read. I am on my 3rd round of MFWK (by now, I have tweaked it a bit, and personalized it). I have used Adventures, ECC and next year will more than likely go on to Creation to Greeks.

THis year, I wanted an additional year of American studies so we are doing HOD "Beyond".

I think that the people who dont like programs like HOD and MFW tend to be the ones who like to peice things together themselves. But, if you like it all done for you and an awesome Biblical world view....then you would LOve it!

I think that the people who dont like programs like HOD and MFW tend to be the ones who like to peice things together themselves. But, if you like it all done for you and an awesome Biblical world view....then you would LOve it!

Oh I think Johanna hit on something! One of the strengths of MFW and programs like it is that it spells everything out for you. I thought I would LOVE that. I do like that - for subjects I don't like to teach! Or don't want to learn from LOL like math, science and grammar. *Yawn* :tongue_smilie: But for history and literature - I want to be involved in it, like what we do and piece it together! I deviated too much from the schedule in the TM of ECC that I realized I didn't want to use it for another several years to do the same thing again and again (especially when their TM is $100).:D

As a side note, I think I may have finally sold myself on TOG after we finish the SOTW series.

*thud*

We did SOTW 1 last year. We choose Adventures this year, and we are loving it! The TM is all done for you, and all I had to do is pencil in my core subjects in the provided grid. It took hrs of planning away. The only prep work I have to do is look at the next week ahead, under the supply section and add those items to my grocery list. Then take my TM with me to the library and check out the books from the book list for "book basket" which is used to bring in the CM approach. I have been amazed at how "pick up and go" it has been for me.

We love the spines included also. When we do the read alouds from American Pioneers and Partiots, and it's the first time my dc don't want me to stop reading. They actually whine not to stop reading. My dc are actually understand the content, and remembering the info. Last year, it was dry and they had a hard time connecting with the matterial to gain any lasting knowledge.

The projects are on grade level for my dc.

As far as science goes, I have completely skipped the science and am doing Apologia. MFW does use Apologia in some years so what I'm doing is covering the courses in Apoloigia that were left out in the years they are not scheduled in MFW. So, if we finish all years of MFW we will have completed the whole Apologia elem series.

This is what I've schduled for science:

Adventures- Zoology 1

Ecc- Zoology 2

Creation to Greeks-Zoology 3

RtoR- Astonomy (already scheduled by MFW)

Explor-1850-Botany(already scheduled in MFW)

1850-Mod-General science

I had concerns about it being meaty enough, but I think that is the only problem with the MFW site. IMO, the site just didn't give their programs justice. Like book basket for instance. That really never sunk in for me until I saw all the components of the program in the flesh.

Hope that Helps!

I have my curriculum all set, pretty much from WTM suggestions. My boys are 6 and doing a mix of K/1st work. All of a sudden I'm thinking about My Father's World-constantly. :tongue_smilie:

It's driving me crazy. Anyone using it for the first time this yr and in love/dislike with it? Is the TM worth the price? I tried Heart of Dakota which is similar and was not in love with it(shelved it). Is MFW meatier?

I don't want to ask on the MFW site, I'm guessing they will all give positive reviews.

TIA

I haven't used HOD. I have used K, First Grade, Adventures and now First Grade and ECC. I've used MFW for every year of our homeschooling except one in which I sort of did my own thing. I have many local friends who have tried MFW. The ones who are really "devoted users" are the ones who use it pretty much as it's intended to be used. They don't skip alot of assignments, they don't do a lot of tweaking, they try to stick to the schedule fairly closely. They mostly use the resources that MFW schedules or suggests and then they sort of customize it by picking the books that they really love from the book lists in the TM or from some other book lists. They are "doing" MFW. The ones I know that aren't as happy with it are the ones who don't do all the assignments (which, frankly, I've never been able to do. There is ALOT of work in there.), do a lot of substitutions and replacements of resources, leave out the "extras" (which are not supposed to be extras at all) like the nature walks, a foreign language, art and craft activities, and oral narrations, or who are trying to cram the program into a four day week so they can do activities with their homeschooling group or whatever.

This year, I'm doing less "adapting" and "tweaking". I've spent considerable time reading Charlotte Mason's own writings and now I can see much more clearly how MFW integrates her ideas into their curriculum. For that reason, I'm sticking to their suggestions for Language Arts and most everything else except math. I use the book lists to add more "meat" if I think we need that but I also pull from other book lists and integrate alot of ideas from Ambleside Online (we love their book suggestions and methods).

I guess the only real complaint I have with MfW so far is that some of the books are not as lively or interesting as I'd like. But, really, it's not a big deal. I've made it a bigger deal in the past than it had to be. MFW intends for you to add books to their programs. Those books are not "extras", they are a part of the curriculum. It's just that they don't make all the choices for you. They give you options. The books they actually schedule are a starting point. The content in them is supposed to be used as a catalyst for further reading and you pick your own books for those other readings. I've heard complaints that ECC is not "CM" enough or that there are not enough "real" books as there are a good bit of reproducible pages from workbook sort of books that you give the child to read or complete. We do most of those but we do that PLUS the "real" books. They aren't meant to replace the books... the pages are a starting point and add factual info. that is relevent to the overall curriculum.

For example, we are still in North America and my son is reading Tree in the Trail and Paddle to the Sea by Holling C. Holling. He is reading Misty of Chincoteague, Sing Down the Moon, The Burgess Bird Book, Parables from Nature, and books about Daniel Boone and Davy Crocket. He is also reading historical tales about Spanish Americans. These are not considered "not doing MFW". You are supposed to add books to MFW and that's what gives you the meat. MFW scheduled a two page spread reading about the Navajos but they don't necessarily intend that you stop there. If there is an interest, you add content with the extra books that you choose yourself from their book lists or whatever your library has or some other book list. So my son is very interested in early Southwestern American history, so we add meat there. We won't add "meat" to everything that we read about. We couldn't possibly do that because you cover alot of territory in the basic program.

As for the science... I hear alot of criticism about MFW's science not being "enough". Again, the science is the same as the history or geography. You add content with books of your own choosing. In the early years, it covers a wide variety of topics. For first grade, I believe there is a new science topic each week. So far this year, we have covered creepy crawlies or other things that live on or under the ground, seasons, and plants/flowers. We don't stop with the book that MFW schedules. That is just an introduction. We then go to the library and nose around the internet for more content. We take nature walks and practice drawing things that we see. Adventures covers many topics and then in ECC the focus begins to narrow. My son happens to know alot about the science subject matter of ECC. Rather than fleshing it out with more on those topics, I am sticking with just MFW's material for those and we are studying Chemistry. It's not that ECC doesn't have "enough" for us. It's just that he already has alot of knowledge in that area due to his love for reading and he reads about those topics on his own. And, we are yet to fit in the ECC science notebook. For us, MFW has too much in this area! And, we love science and spend time everyday on science.

I don't know how this compares to HOD. But, I just wanted to share how we add "meat" to it. We don't need more "meat" in every area. We pick where we want to add content and we do that primarily through living books and that's how MFW is intended to be done. I can't think of any potential area of curriculum that MFW does not address. It is very balanced and on most days, we touch on many subjects. We rarely, if ever, do everything for that day because, for us, it's too much work. And, we are not slackers by any means.

I like having a schedule to follow and I appreciate that we can customize our basic curriculum to flesh out the areas that matter to us. I like the book lists. I like the balance of hands-on learning, activities, and less active learning (books, oral narrations). I LOVE the way Bible is taught and how our faith is the focus of the program. I really like the phonics and hands-on math in First Grade. For the most part, I like the books and resources that are scheduled. I like that we cover ALOT and still have time to take nature walks, go swimming, and work on habits and character formation.

Blessings,

Donna T.

I haven't used HOD. I have used K, First Grade, Adventures and now First Grade and ECC. I've used MFW for every year of our homeschooling except one in which I sort of did my own thing. I have many local friends who have tried MFW. The ones who are really "devoted users" are the ones who use it pretty much as it's intended to be used. They don't skip alot of assignments, they don't do a lot of tweaking, they try to stick to the schedule fairly closely. They mostly use the resources that MFW schedules or suggests and then they sort of customize it by picking the books that they really love from the book lists in the TM or from some other book lists. They are "doing" MFW. The ones I know that aren't as happy with it are the ones who don't do all the assignments (which, frankly, I've never been able to do. There is ALOT of work in there.), do a lot of substitutions and replacements of resources, leave out the "extras" (which are not supposed to be extras at all) like the nature walks, a foreign language, art and craft activities, and oral narrations, or who are trying to cram the program into a four day week so they can do activities with their homeschooling group or whatever.

This year, I'm doing less "adapting" and "tweaking". I've spent considerable time reading Charlotte Mason's own writings and now I can see much more clearly how MFW integrates her ideas into their curriculum. For that reason, I'm sticking to their suggestions for Language Arts and most everything else except math. I use the book lists to add more "meat" if I think we need that but I also pull from other book lists and integrate alot of ideas from Ambleside Online (we love their book suggestions and methods).

I guess the only real complaint I have with MfW so far is that some of the books are not as lively or interesting as I'd like. But, really, it's not a big deal. I've made it a bigger deal in the past than it had to be. MFW intends for you to add books to their programs. Those books are not "extras", they are a part of the curriculum. It's just that they don't make all the choices for you. They give you options. The books they actually schedule are a starting point. The content in them is supposed to be used as a catalyst for further reading and you pick your own books for those other readings. I've heard complaints that ECC is not "CM" enough or that there are not enough "real" books as there are a good bit of reproducible pages from workbook sort of books that you give the child to read or complete. We do most of those but we do that PLUS the "real" books. They aren't meant to replace the books... the pages are a starting point and add factual info. that is relevent to the overall curriculum.

For example, we are still in North America and my son is reading Tree in the Trail and Paddle to the Sea by Holling C. Holling. He is reading Misty of Chincoteague, Sing Down the Moon, The Burgess Bird Book, Parables from Nature, and books about Daniel Boone and Davy Crocket. He is also reading historical tales about Spanish Americans. These are not considered "not doing MFW". You are supposed to add books to MFW and that's what gives you the meat. MFW scheduled a two page spread reading about the Navajos but they don't necessarily intend that you stop there. If there is an interest, you add content with the extra books that you choose yourself from their book lists or whatever your library has or some other book list. So my son is very interested in early Southwestern American history, so we add meat there. We won't add "meat" to everything that we read about. We couldn't possibly do that because you cover alot of territory in the basic program.

As for the science... I hear alot of criticism about MFW's science not being "enough". Again, the science is the same as the history or geography. You add content with books of your own choosing. In the early years, it covers a wide variety of topics. For first grade, I believe there is a new science topic each week. So far this year, we have covered creepy crawlies or other things that live on or under the ground, seasons, and plants/flowers. We don't stop with the book that MFW schedules. That is just an introduction. We then go to the library and nose around the internet for more content. We take nature walks and practice drawing things that we see. Adventures covers many topics and then in ECC the focus begins to narrow. My son happens to know alot about the science subject matter of ECC. Rather than fleshing it out with more on those topics, I am sticking with just MFW's material for those and we are studying Chemistry. It's not that ECC doesn't have "enough" for us. It's just that he already has alot of knowledge in that area due to his love for reading and he reads about those topics on his own. And, we are yet to fit in the ECC science notebook. For us, MFW has too much in this area! And, we love science and spend time everyday on science.

I don't know how this compares to HOD. But, I just wanted to share how we add "meat" to it. We don't need more "meat" in every area. We pick where we want to add content and we do that primarily through living books and that's how MFW is intended to be done. I can't think of any potential area of curriculum that MFW does not address. It is very balanced and on most days, we touch on many subjects. We rarely, if ever, do everything for that day because, for us, it's too much work. And, we are not slackers by any means.

I like having a schedule to follow and I appreciate that we can customize our basic curriculum to flesh out the areas that matter to us. I like the book lists. I like the balance of hands-on learning, activities, and less active learning (books, oral narrations). I LOVE the way Bible is taught and how our faith is the focus of the program. I really like the phonics and hands-on math in First Grade. For the most part, I like the books and resources that are scheduled. I like that we cover ALOT and still have time to take nature walks, go swimming, and work on habits and character formation.

Blessings,

Donna T.

:iagree::iagree: VERY WELL SAID!!!

Okay, first off I am going to admit that I am a MFW diehard. I tried doing my own thing for my oldest son and ignored the MFW recommendations and it was twice the work and not as good so for my twins I have done (pretty much) what has been laid out ;). I did do more than one MFW program at a time and I started earlier than they suggest, but I figure that I am the Mom and I have the freedom to do that.

I think what Donna said is right on :iagree:- you have to do the program as it is laid out to get the full benefit of the program - book basket too.

I hear a lot that MFW is light on Science but then I hear Mom's saying that they didn't get to the Science experiment and just told their kids what would happen. That on a majority of experiments they didn't get to the herb garden or the seed experiments or making the backbone or building and shooting a rocket or making a model of the universe. I think you have to do the majority of the projects to make it a complete program and to honestly decide if you like or not.

Okay, so take all of this with a grain of salt since I am a die hard and realize that not every curriculum works for every family - I get that. If a certain program keeps popping up than I think that you need to give it very careful consideration ( I always look twice at Sonlight because ALL the books pull me in - come buy me!)

We're using Adventures this year. I'm coming from SL, and have found that SL is still a better fit for us right now, but I can't complain about MFW.

We've enjoyed many of the activities, although I've found that having so many scheduled in isn't a good thing for us- I feel guitly if I skip them but my kids aren't interested in doing so many. Adding them in as we want to might work better for us personally. Most of the activities are easy to do, fun and worthwhile though.

The short, CM lessons have been a good transition to more structured work for my middle two, and I've liked the emphasis on narration and notebooking.

My kids are retaining a lot and have enjoyed the variety in this program.

It's a very well-rounded program, we've just found that we don't like having Bible tied to everything, and the other programs don't look as interesting to me. I'm not fond of the CLP spines. It's a little light also as far as reading, but that's easy to fix by adding in more books.

I do like that composer study and art are scheduled in.

So that's our experience, I like Adventures a lot but don't like what I see of the other levels as well.

My experience was similar to Dawn's. We took a "Sonlight break" a few years ago to do Adventures in MFW. I had a 2nd grader and PreK'er at the time and it was a good fit--we had a great year and learned a lot. The next year, we moved on to ECC. The books didn't hold my dc's attention at all and we scrapped it after only six weeks.

Now we're back to SL and it's working quite well. I would try to get your hands on some samples of the level you're looking at and look through some of the books used to see if it would work for your family. I still love the idea of ECC and wish it could've worked for us. :/

Guest sarathan

I am using MFW K this year for my oldest ds and so far we love it! I honestly can't think of a single complaint about it. Now granted, we are only 7 days in, but I really don't see my feelings changing! It's truly a great curriculum! :)

I tried doing my own thing for my oldest son and ignored the MFW recommendations and it was twice the work and not as good so for my twins I have done (pretty much) what has been laid out ;).

I think what Donna said is right on :iagree:- you have to do the program as it is laid out to get the full benefit of the program - book basket too.

I totally agree with this! That's one reason I struggled with ECC. It's not a very "tweakable" program, so you need to like the layout AND the books! :)

TIA

I used it, or rather attempted to use it, the year before last and it was definitely NOT meaty enough. And my children are not at all advanced. I was most disappointed in the reading lists and the hands-on activities. I was going to be using the "Adventures in My Father's World" program which is geared to 2nd/3rd graders, and I had a 2nd grader and a 4th grader with learning challenges (functioning on 2-3rd grade level). The state sheets were just coloring pages with a few bits of trivia on them. The book basket suggestions were more of a PreK-K level. The history 'projects' were simplistic and in many cases uninteresting.

I know MANY MANY people who love MFW, but I was extremely disappointed. My suggestion to anyone interested in MFW is to see it, the entire program, with your own eyes first before you buy. Look at the ENTIRE lesson manual, including the book basket list, and look at the required materials for the curriculum BEFORE you buy, to make sure it's worth it to your family.

Hope this helps!

The book basket suggestions were more of a PreK-K level. The history 'projects' were simplistic and in many cases uninteresting.

I'm a MFW user since 2003 and clearly it works well for me. I'd like to chime in a bit about book basket in ADV program in response to this statement from another poster.

Respectfully disagreeing that the book basket suggestions were all Pre K-K level. That is not an accurate picture of MFW's book basket selection. It is somewhat accurate of week 6 in ADV on the topic of bread. That week was intentionally designed to have lighter reading than others. But it was part of the bigger picture of what was going on. For example in Week 6 of Adventures, you take the time to make bread with your child while learning that Jesus is the bread of life!!! Then, there were some K-1st grader reading level book about characters enjoying bread and jam that was one of several suggestions in the book basket list. But at the end of the unit on making bread it was fun to read something light after learning how to make bread. That's a fun hands on activity.

There are over 300 books in the book basket suggested list for ADV, some of them include D'aulaire books. SL core 3 books are in the ADV book basket. I don't think those are Pre K-K level. You have a wide variety of picture books, chapter books, information books, books about the different states, historical fiction, biographies, etc. Many of them are on lists for other programs that are aimed at 1st-4th graders. And yes, there is an occasional book that is even aimed for younger -- but that's because many of us will have families with younger children - why not include and involve them as well?

Adventures in MFW includes some integrated language arts along the way too.

I'm currently doing ECC for the 2nd time and loving it even more. I might be the odd ball --- we like the books like Living World Encyclopedia from Usborne. We like the Illustrated World Atlas -- lots of great pictures to enjoy while learning some facts. My kids need to do some research and worksheets -- not a favorite thing, but good for learning some stuff. They love doing the Geography terms as part of notebooking. So, I like ECC even the second time around.

If you think that the Lord is pulling you to look at and use MFW, give it a try.

The hands on stuff was fun for us and it meant retention of the material and concepts. I loved that the projects are easy to do and easy to clean up and are remembered. In fact, my kids and I were talking this morning about a project from ADV (and repeated in EX1850, which we did 2 years ago). It was about making an oil paper window. We were talking today about birds and feathers and oil --- bingo!!! my oldest child remembered the hands on project from 2 years ago that took about 5 minutes to do and applied the information 2 years later to a different but related topic

I love MFW!!!!! I'm one of those that Donna T mentions who "does MFW, by the book" and it works great. I don't have to sit around doing lesson plans, or juggling multiple things that aren't related. I don't like doing that. I like grabbing extra books off the library shelf and enjoying a book. Then we had time left in our day to do other stuff that we are interested in.

The Lord led me to use MFW and it has been a gift from Him.

-crystal

I also can't stop thinking about MFW for 1st grade. I am doing SL P4/5 with SLK LA this year for k and I am looking in to MFW 1st for next year.

My questions are a little different from the first post.

1-My dd is doing very well with Get Set For the Code books. I really like these book. How does the phonics in MFW compare to ECT?

2-I was also looking into doing FLL next year. It looks like the LA in MFW 1 is very similar to FLL. Is it similar?

3-What style of handwriting does MFW 1st teach (italic, denelian, ect...)?

4-How many hours a day does it take to do MFW 1st grade if you do all that is in the teachers guide (minus math-I'm doing RightStart math and don't want to quit)?

5-Would adding SOTW 1 with AB be too intense. I really want to do 4 year history cycles.

I love the idea that LA is incorporated with Bible and notebooking. If I do my own thing I would be doing FLL, WWE, ECT 1-3, HWT's 1, and Phonic Pathways just for LA. This seem so extreme. Maybe it is not as much as it looks, but I would like for it to all be incorporated.

I also can't stop thinking about MFW for 1st grade. I am doing SL P4/5 with SLK LA this year for k and I am looking in to MFW 1st for next year.

My questions are a little different from the first post.

1. I haven’t done ETC so I can’t compare. The phonics in MFW 1st grade starts with a quick review of short vowels and then covers everything else over the rest of the year. Some programs continue phonics instruction into 2nd grade, but MFW's program covers it in 1st and then if you need to finish or review in 2nd grade you can do that. Maybe Donna T will see your question and be able to compare the two??? Or you could ask on the MFW board too.

2. Language arts in 1st grade covers everything with copywork, dictation, narrations, handwriting, memory work, composition. Grammar is done informally only at this stage, so that’s a difference compared to FLL.

3-What style of handwriting does MFW 1st teach (italic, denelian, ect...)?

Print is used. You can use whatever style of that you want to. I know that make me sound like I don’t know the differences in styles, but I don’t. :) Lots of copywork and handwriting, but if you want to teach a different style from the instructions in the manual, you can.

4-How many hours a day does it take to do MFW 1st grade if you do all that is in the teachers guide (minus math-I'm doing RightStart math and don't want to quit)?

Well, including the math, it takes about 1.5 hours per day. You might enjoy some of the math in MFW 1st grade for even more hands on activities or not. But the way the program is integrated together, it is not a huge time consumer each day for young learners. Nice!!!

5-Would adding SOTW 1 with AB be too intense. I really want to do 4 year history cycles.

You could add in SOTW if you wanted to. The way the history cycles in MFW works is a little different from three 4 year rotations.

Rotation 1 is K, 1st, Adventures. 1st grade is ancient history only in Bible from Genesis to Revelation in art, phonics, and composition. That way you get a solid foundation on Bible history. Adventures in MFW starts quickly reviewing when Jesus was born, then history wise jumps to about 1000 AD then up to 1600’s and then it slows down to be American history through mid 1950's. ADV is about covering at early grammar stage history introduction. It keeps it simple (not too complex with wars, and icky stuff) because you'll study more in a few years when they are older. (side note – younger siblings just fold into their older siblings’ history when younger reaches 2nd grade)

Then the 2nd rotation starts. You begin with a foundational year of geography and cultures followed by 4 years of chronological history at logic stage. Children who aren’t ready for high school years at end of this rotation can repeat that geography/cultures year (or another year) at higher level. and MFW uses SOTW volumes 2-4 in this rotation. So MFW uses SOTW, but at a later time and mixed with other books too.

Then 4 years of high school.

Hope some of that helps a little

-crystal

I am using MFW for the first time this year and am using CtG with my ds. We are on week 5 and it has been a great year so far. My ds is older and we have used sl for the past 5 years so I felt comfortable adding many of the books from the 1st half of core 6 to book basket and am using many of the read-alouds as well. I also added SOTW 1 and it is matching up really well. I wouldn't say it is necessary as it does cover the same basic material for many chapters but it does offer extra reading on the subject and occasionally extra information.

I had always looked at MFW and wondered what it would be like and I am so glad we tried it this year. If for nothing more than the Old Testament focus and all the Jewish feasts it has been worth it. I say follow your heart and give it a try, I wish I had done so sooner.;)

Wow! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's responses esp. Christine and Donna's. You go, girls! This is our first time using MFW (ECC) and we have also learned that MFW increases in "meatiness" as the years progress which makes sense to me. I think some people probably use it in the K or 1st grade years then discontinue before reaching the meatier years.