Menu

DO Physical Science stand-alone course being discountinued

Website says, "Available for a limited time." I confirmed by email that he will only offer for about a month longer.

http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PhysicalScience.php

I intended to have kiddo start the year with the sample before purchasing. She'll be thrilled when I have her work through a chapter next week to make sure it's going to be a good fit before I buy it. :001_unsure:

• Like 1

How is this different from the course offered on the Derek Owens website?

For this and the prealgebra course he has had versions available to purchase outright rather than the monthly tuition for the asynchronous courses.

http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PhysicalScienceBuy.php

This has been a great option because these allow you to re-use the course for a younger sibling. Also, it costs less than half of the graded class. We're using it for an advanced sixth grader, and I wouldn't have even looked at the $500ish class for this age.

There also seems to be a limited number of options for Physical Science.

• Like 1

For this and the prealgebra course he has had versions available to purchase outright rather than the monthly tuition for the asynchronous courses.

http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PhysicalScienceBuy.php

This has been a great option because these allow you to re-use the course for a younger sibling. Also, it costs less than half of the graded class. We're using it for an advanced sixth grader, and I wouldn't have even looked at the $500ish class for this age.

There also seems to be a limited number of options for Physical Science.

This is what we're using--so this ISN'T being discontinued? That's good news. My 7th grader liked it, and my rising 5th will use it in 7th as well.

This is what we're using--so this ISN'T being discontinued? That's good news. My 7th grader liked it, and my rising 5th will use it in 7th as well.

you are using the online class with monthly tuition? That is not being discontinued.  It is only the physical science or pre-A class on DVD or thumb drive that is being discontinued

you are using the online class with monthly tuition? That is not being discontinued.  It is only the physical science or pre-A class on DVD or thumb drive that is being discontinued

No, we have the thumb drive. And nobody can pry it out of my hands now LOL. 

I actually emailed Derek Owens! I asked and here is what he said. It is in two emails. He gave his permission to have his emails posted here verbatim so that everyone could know,

Email response #1

Thanks for the email.  Right now, the Physical Science course needs updating.  There is some chemistry info that I want to add, and some more current astronomy material that I would like to include, so I hope to make some modifications to the course sometime soon.  Also, the company that I was using to produce and ship the DVDs and USB drives is no longer offering that service, so I'm actually doing the fulfillment and shipping out of my office here, and I will no longer have time for that once the school year begins.  And lastly, while I greatly appreciate the interest people have had in purchasing the course, the interest in enrolling in the online version of the course has been much higher, and I need to focus my efforts there.

That said, I could conceivably be talked into continuing to sell it if there were enough need for it, but right now it looks like the live classes and the online classes will be taking most of my time.  Thoughts on the matter from homeschool families are welcome, though.

Then I mentioned that the DVD or thumb drive was cheaper, which is always appreciated, and many families don't have the ability to stream or have limited data plans etc.

Here is email #2

Thanks for the follow-up, and yes, it will be okay with me for you pass the info along on the discussion board, and in fact would be appreciated if there is a discussion going on.  Thank you!

Also, I think most people already know this but I could be wrong.  For the online courses, I do have a half price option that people may take, which is $29 per month rather than $58.  With the half price option, the students access the course as usual, but the parents are responsible for grading all the papers and answering questions, and I provide the parents with the answer keys for the homework and tests.  It is still a little more expensive than purchasing the course as a packaged product, but is half the price of the normal online enrollment.

• Like 4

Also, I think most people already know this but I could be wrong.  For the online courses, I do have a half price option that people may take, which is $29 per month rather than $58.  With the half price option, the students access the course as usual, but the parents are responsible for grading all the papers and answering questions, and I provide the parents with the answer keys for the homework and tests.  It is still a little more expensive than purchasing the course as a packaged product, but is half the price of the normal online enrollment.

I didn't know this and I can't find anything about it on his website. Does anyone know if this applies to all his web based classes? We would actually prefer mom graded and I'd love to find out we could do Physics for half price this year!

If no one knows, I'll contact DO. I just thought I'd check with the hive first.

Do you guys know howl this will affect access to the Pre Algebra online videos? Will it disappear?

The Pre Algebra videos are on YouTube. You could ask Mr Owens if he intends to keep them there.

I had no idea about the half price option even after reading all I could find on his website. I emailed him earlier today asking if there was any way to "purchase" physics and precalculus. He told me about the half-price option - says students have access to the videos and he provides the parents the answer keys. This option is only if you don't need any grading or other support such as questions answered.

• Like 2

I had no idea about the half price option even after reading all I could find on his website. I emailed him earlier today asking if there was any way to "purchase" physics and precalculus. He told me about the half-price option - says students have access to the videos and he provides the parents the answer keys. This option is only if you don't need any grading or other support such as questions answered.

Do you have to contact him to purchase this way? It isn't in the automatic options as far as I can see. I love that he is offering this!

...... Of course this would happen! We were planning on using the Physical Science course for 8th.

Last time I looked, it is still available. Just buy it quickly, lol.

And if you plan to use it for more than one child, as I am, just make sure to copy the student book for the elder child. The program doesn't come with a master of that. In theory you buy it again? But it was 40$, which is a bit much for a consumable workbook. So, I just made copies as we went along and had ds1 work in that.

It was a pain, but I am glad I did it. I prob wouldn't be able to buy another one in 4 years when I need it. Which, was exactly my concern when I made the decision to not write in the original