Menu

WTMA webinars - what are you learning? what is exciting?!

I really enjoyed SWB's series on the upper grades. I love having a road map in my mind, even though we are just entering the Logic stage. I have spent several hours thinking and writing about our goals for middle school years and how our choices in the details are intended to help us accomplish those things. Gotta see both the forest and the trees!

Joanna Hensley on Latin was encouraging and helpful. Love to hear from someone who is passionate about what she teaches. I wish my Latin teachers had been that good! I appreciated having an expert answer my specific questions.

I have only had one session of Julie Bogart's series on writing, but that one is worth the $20. I love the classical approach to writing and we will continue to stick closely to SWB's general plan. It is working for my kids. However, Dd is a creative writer and Ds a reluctant one and I think that freewrites and some of the other Bravewriter ideas will help me keep it fun and encouraging for them, while also improving their writing abilities. A little of that whole-to-the-parts approach will be good for my crew, I think. 

• Like 2

I liked the Latin one as well and Kate Snow about conceptual math. I especially liked the problem solving one from Richard R from AOPS. The coding one was okay for me...but I think mostly because my dh is a software engineer so I was aware of a lot of things already.

I signed up and paid for the Ed Zaccaro one which is underwhelming me a lot...to the point that I wish I could have a refund.

I signed up and paid for the Ed Zaccaro one which is underwhelming me a lot...to the point that I wish I could have a refund.

Yep, his is a dud. I missed the first one and won't waste my time either listening to that or to the third one on Wednesday. We like his books, though.

Julie Bogart's talks have been fantastic, the three I've listened to so far.  I feel like I'm finally getting it through my head what it means to be a partner with my kids in their writing process.  It's easier with the older, but I feel like I'm finally getting permission to work *with* my younger dd, and strategies for feeling like I'm working with her and not against her.  Fantastic talks!

• Like 1

I liked the conceptual math talk but the first installment of teaching history through fine arts was pretty meh. I haven't gone back to listen to sessions two and three but I probably should. I was hoping to get ideas that would help me teach dd history via art but at least the first session can be summed up why saying , "art is all around you!"

I signed up for the Latin but I can't watch live and the recordings haven't been posted on my account. I am really looking forward to those.

I really love doing a hs confence this way and I sincerely hope they will continue to do so in the future. What a great resource!

You might want to email about the Latin videos not showing up. I had an issue with some not being available and they fixed it. The Latin videos have already been posted.

• Like 1

I'm hoping Kate Snow will do another next year on division.

Rosie_0801, Calbear, and Cadam, I'm so glad you enjoyed my talk on on conceptual math! 

Rosie, I'll definitely consider doing one on division--or maybe a series on the different operations? Is there anything particular about division that you'd be most interested in learning about?

I personally learned a lot from Richard Rusczyk's talk. His thoughts on appropriate levels of challenge gave me a lot to think about. I've also enjoyed SWB's talks on writing. There's a lot of overlap with the Writing with Ease overview book, but I love hearing her talk, and it's re-energized me for teaching writing this coming year. 

• Like 4

There was one free one that I finished watching/listening to & thought, "Wow, glad I didn't pay for that."

But all the ones I've paid for have been useful, interesting, or great (depending on which one I'm referring to). The parts of the Latin ones I was able to catch seemed useful. I need to go back and watch them whole. I'm in the middle of the 2nd writing one with Andrew Kern (as I wasn't able to catch any of his live) and I definitely need to go back and take notes. I absolutely loved SWB's Beyond Elementary School and was glad to be able to catch (most of them) live as I think the webcam adds so much to the presentation. (Alas, it doesn't show in the recordings.) 

The one that had me falling over with amazement was Homeschooling Ramona Quimby. It opened my eyes to behaviors that I've witnessed but never pinned down the way the speaker explained. It had some practical advice that I'm hoping to put to use to help make our days/years a little less stressful for me.

I didn't order some of the talks because I'm not sure the underlying method of the speaker would work for me. 

Cadam - Definitely PM OtherJohn with your info & which talk(s) you are missing. I had the same problem & he had it fixed very quickly!

Rosie, I'll definitely consider doing one on division--or maybe a series on the different operations? Is there anything particular about division that you'd be most interested in learning about?

It's more that you seem the type to make the division stuff in Liping Ma's book make sense.  ^_^

• Like 1