Menu

Recommend a sunscreen please

matrips

I'm looking for a new sunscreen for the family.  A healthier one without damaging chemicals, though my dermotologist told me today that they are all okay, and they all stay on the skin and don't absorb.  That sounds contrary to what I read though.  So confusing.

Anyway, I've used those spray ones for years and I want to switch.  I love the convenience of the spray and for three wiggly kids it was great; and at least they all got sunscreened.  And no one ever got burned.  But I know the ingredients are not supposed to be good, hence needing a new one.

What I'd like: 

1)  something that goes on easily and smoothly.  The last one we bought seemed so thick and unmanageable that we almost used up the whole tube for one set of applications on the kids.  Or maybe we are doing something wrong.  How many applications do you get out of your sunscreen?

2)  something that will not stain or damage clothes

3) something that does not feel yucky on.  if I touch my arm after 10 minutes, I don't want to feel greasy or oily or have a handful of sunscreen.

4) something that does not have to be scrubbed off at the end of the day.

5) we generally do non-scented stuff

6) does not cost an arm and a leg.  $30 for a little tube is not in our budget.

7)  something the kids can easily put on themselves as well. 

If you recommend one, would you mind mentioning why you like it and if it fits my criteria?  Thanks.

Hi, We use Blue Lizard. We live in southern California and go to the beach a lot and have very fair skin (I'm a redhead). It's zinc and from Australia (I figure the Australian's know sun protection). It's a little hard to rub in because it's zinc, but not as bad as other zinc sunscreens I've used. It works really well and has nothing scary in it.

There is no scent to it and while there might be some left at the end of the day, I don't feel coated like with others. My kids can put it on, they might need help rubbing it all of the way in.

The best price I've found is $22.99 for 8.75 ouces at Walgreens.com. The have free shipping over $25 and right now are running a 25% off deal for over $50. They also have a subscribe and save thing like amazon and on the second order I'll save 10%. Amazon has the next best price. We don't have to use a ton but the kids do reapply more than once at the beach and it's lasted.

Hope that helps.

We love Badger and Green Goddess. I am allergic to a lot of sunscreens and can use both of these. I have been using for daily on my face one by derm e. Badger is thick but works. I don't have to reapply it on the kids. Green goddess- we reapplied it only once we were out all day in the sun without shade. Both my kids can easily apply both.

I don't know how to quote from my phone, but in reference to rubbing in...I thought I read since these were surface/physical sunscreens, they shouldn't be rubbed in. They are supposed to remain on top of the skin. Does that make any sense?

Also, do you appear white or do they go on clear?

Another vote for Badger! I like the kiss my face zinc stuff too- that one comes in a spray that goes on really easily. James (DS) has been out playing 2-3 hrs of tennis most days this summer and hasn't gotten even slightly sunburned.

We also use Blue Lizard Baby- it fits all of your criteria.

We tested several brands of all natural stuff... And BL was hands down the best.

You didn't have to rub it in as long/hard. It doesn't feel greasy. And comes right off in the shower.

And most importantly- it works! We do not get burnt when we use it. (We fried to a crisp with Badger...)

I get mine on Amazon- around $15 to $20 for a good size bottle. I bought 3 bottles last summer... I still haven't had to buy more. I have 1.5 bottles left... I'll probably have to buy one more bottle before this summer is over.

• Like 1