Menu

A weekend in San Francisco... by myself?! What to do?

Momling

In a few days my younger daughter and wife are off to a tennis tournament and I have to take my older daughter down to San Francisco where my brother and sister-in-law live.  They're all going down to San Diego for Comic Con.  Rather than driving back up to Oregon only to return a few days later to pick her up, I decided to just hang out at my brother's apartment in San Francisco since he'll be gone.  So I have from Thursday to Monday by myself! In San Francisco -  a town I've been to a few times, but don't know all that well.  What should I do?   He lives in the Mission district and once there, I'll take public transportation or walk.  

Shopping? Hanging out at a cafe? Going to a show? a movie? a museum? Walking around aimlessly? What should I do in San Francisco by myself?  I haven't traveled alone in years! 

• Like 1

Eat breakfast at Dottie's True Blue Cafe.

See if there are any performances you want to see. Rush tickets are often cheap.

Go out of Sausalito and relax for an afternoon.

They have a really, amazingly great roller derby team there. Bouts are fun to watch.

• Like 1

North Beach cafes. 

Land's End.

Golden Gate Park - De Young museum, Academy of Sciences, just walking around.

Walking along the Marina Green.

Mind you, I haven't been to  San Francisco in 15 years.  So maybe some of those things have changed.  I'm getting a bit weepy here thinking about it.

ETA:  Alcatraz is/was fascinating!

• Like 1

I've lived in the Mission for 17 years....in addition to the things in the broader, lovely San Francisco, here are some things to check out in the Mission:

-check out the murals. You can get a tour through Precita Eyes on 24th St (maybe around Harrison?)

-get some of the best ice cream I have ever had at Bi-Rite on 18th between Dolores and Guerrero

-Tartine Bakery on 18th and Guerrero: pastries worth the line

-Dandelion Chocolate at 740 Valencia makes their own chocolate from single source cacoa farms.  Free samples in the store, plus try any of the desserts and the drinking chocolate. You really can't go wrong there with anything.

-826 Valencia--The Pirate Shop.  As a homeschooler, you will be fascinated. This is a front for a writing tutoring center run by local author David Eggers. So fun to poke around the shop.  Humorous pirate shop in front, writing classes in back. The shop is really fun to explore, I promise.

-get a Mission burrito. Everyone has their favorite Taqueria; ours is El Metate.

Favorites in the rest of the city:

-walk along Crissy Field.

-take a ferry and explore Angel Island. State Park with natural areas and former immigration processing center similar to Ellis Island.

-Golden Gate Park, pretty much everywhere

-hike at Land's End

In the Mission, you will be close to the BART station, which will get you downtown, to the Embarcadero, or close enough to China Town or North Beach. If you want to drive to Crissy Field, Golden Gate Park, or Land's End, parking won't be much of a problem in those places. Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions or anything you really enjoy and I can steer you more specifically, perhaps.

• Like 2

I boldly ambled my way around the mission today. Thank you for all the good advice! I found street parking that I shouldn't need to move, ogled books at borderlands and poked around the pirate shop and had a bubble tea at boba guys (all within like two blocks of my brothers apartment). Only downside... I haven't really talked to anyone since arriving. So if you live in San Francisco and are feeling chatty, message me! I'd happily go for a coffee!

• Like 1