Menu

Homeschool Bucket List

MommaOfalotta

Sorry if it's been done before. I am curious what is on everyone's homeschool bucket list. My inlaws just got back from a big trip out West and it got me thinking about all the possible vacations we could take that would be sooo educational. (Think RV living ;) )

But it doesn't have to be a trip, it can be anything! (A book you want to read aloud as a family or maybe you want to mummify a chicken? Anything at all! Just for fun.)

Is it bad if I don't want to post details in order to reduce competition???

My biggest bucket-list-type goal involves finding a way to drastically improve my dd's (dds', actually) writing skills so they have a shot at an essay-based opportunity in high school.  They really want the opportunity, and it's an amazing one.  They don't quite have the maturity yet to understand how much effort they should be putting in if they're going to compete with innate and practiced writers.  I think there's a big disconnect b/c the opportunity itself has nothing to do with writing, but it's the only way in!

So, the event is on their bucket list.  The skill is on mine.

It would have to be way in the future because my daughter is too young to take advantage of the educational part of it, but ... I would LOVE to take her on Disney's cruise through the Panama Canal. I hear they bring in speakers to talk about the history and construction of the canal. Hearing about that while transiting and seeing it would really amp up the interest, I think. However, I'm not sure if it will be possible while she's still of a homeschool age--in order to make the cruises adult-friendly as well as child-friendly, Disney limits some areas and activities to age 18 and up. It wouldn't be surprising if the lectures are for adults only. If it works out, though, it would be the perfect combination of education and vacation!

I'd also love to arrange a vacation in Europe when she's older and we're studying Modern History, or just after a year of Modern History. The Churchill War Rooms in London are very well done, and I'd love to take my daughter there again when she's old enough to have an idea of its significance. If we could combine it with a trip to other WWII sites throughout Europe, that would be amazing.

I'd also love to do a road trip across the US, visiting Laura Ingalls' houses. Notgrass History recently gave away a list of those sites. I think that would be fun to do after our first pass through the third year of the history cycle, assuming my daughter loves the Little House books as much as I do. If she doesn't, maybe we'll wait another 4 years and see if I can hook her on the second pass  :tongue_smilie:  In my dreams, I envision us listening to each audio book in the car as we drive from one house to the next, so that we arrive at each house having just listened to the account of her time at that house.

Can you tell I'm all about the travel? :smilielol5:

• Like 1

I'm another one with wanderlust :driving: and there are only two items on my homeschool bucket list for each kid.

We're Catholic, so the first item is to take each (just the two of us) to see "a place of interest" relating to, or relics of, their patron saint their 8th grade year (Confirmation year) - which I've done, so far.

The second is to spend a summer abroad (as a family) at some point during high school to solidify the language studies of each; a different place per kid to keep it interesting for me. This has been a bit more challenging to do with extracurricular interests, and will likely turn into a summer or semester abroad for just each student. But I plan to visit a lot because the experience was also supposed to be the icing on my "we're almost to the finish line" cupcake!

I would like to do the next two Lukeion trips (Roman France in 2016 and Italy in 2017); we've done Greece and Turkey with them, and we really enjoyed it and learned so much. DS also wants to go to Mongolia (to study the language) and Iceland (tied into his study of Old Norse). DD would like to visit SE Asia.

Academically, the biggest item on my bucket list for DS (and my one non-negotiable for him) is an in-depth study of the history of philosophy: Greeks in 11th and Descartes to Derrida in 12th. Those discussions will be my reward for home schooling him.

I would have loved to live abroad for a year or two, but we were never quite able to work it out. Still, travel is our love and passion. Right now we are on I90 in South Dakota on our way home from a week in Rapid City where we day tripped to the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Museums, Devil's Tower, etc. One of our best family vacations and so much better than our dry geology and paleontology texts!

It has left us hankering for more and with the impending arrival of our first grandbaby in Feb. a

Trip to upstate NY for all of us when babe is three months old and excursions into Vermont and Massachusetts (Niagra Falls on the way) will be just the ticket. (I will be spending two weeks with dd and babe after dear daddy goes back to work - he can have one week off when baby is born.

It seems infectious. The more we go, the more we want to go!

I would like to do the next two Lukeion trips (Roman France in 2016 and Italy in 2017); we've done Greece and Turkey with them, and we really enjoyed it and learned so much. 

My dream is to do Italy with them in 2017 to close out my homeschooling career. We'll see!