Menu

Do you feel the situation with the June SAT affected your child's scores either way?

Guest CarolinaBlue

Guest CarolinaBlue

First post here. I'm trying to determine if his scores were impacted negatively by the removed sections, or he just didn't score as high as was expected. He took 6-8 practice tests prior, that I scored myself, that were significantly higher. My son is one of the ones this impacts more heavily as he will be a senior that just competed Algebra 2. He is not a strong math student, but really needed these scores for his scholarship application due this summer. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there in the same predicament. Thanks.

Maybe those disappointed are more likely to post, but the anecdotes I've seen so far over at College Confidential have all been negative (lower scores than expected) except for perhaps one.  Some guess that the curve was very tough.

My son scored a full standard deviation lower than he did on the ACT.  I'm not happy.  It's not the end of the world given he has strong ACT's, but it feels like a wasted opportunity.  If anything, the lesson for me has been to schedule standardized testing earlier, rather than later, in the high school years.

The second lesson is that College Board is of the debil.  But we already knew that.

I don't know if it did but I know the situation has raised much uncertainty about the scores, enough uncertainty that I'm considering asking for the waiver.  I don't trust the College Board's evaluation of the validity of the test.  

This.  Yes.  I do psychometrics as part of my professional career and I don't trust College Board either. 

• Like 1

Guest CarolinaBlue

Thanks for the input. He's definitely taking it again in October. He's at Boy State camp right now and I don't even want to tell him his scores. Maybe he won't check... Just very disappointed an entity that generates a test so much importance is given cannot get the TIMES correct. Very frustrating.

I think the high end scorers probably saw the biggest effect (and that is the population at CC). If you miss only two or three questions but they each count more, you are going to see a bigger drop. My guess is blockier scores...miss one and get 760 instead of 780. Once people get the score report that tells how many missed, we'll know for sure.

Ds is in that top range. I expected his math score to go up this time, because of another year of math and study (and his practice tests), but it did not. That may be because of each problem counting more and he felt like he did well on those later sections. Reading was in line with his practice tests at home ( not affected by the error, but I can't explain why without a brag alert ;) )

• Like 1

I think the high end scorers probably saw the biggest effect (and that is the population at CC). If you miss only two or three questions but they each count more, you are going to see a bigger drop. My guess is blockier scores...miss one and get 760 instead of 780. Once people get the score report that tells how many missed, we'll know for sure.

Ds is in that top range. I expected his math score to go up this time, because of another year of math and study (and his practice tests), but it did not. That may be because of each problem counting more and he felt like he did well on those later sections. Reading was in line with his practice tests at home ( not affected by the error, but I can't explain why without a brag alert ;) )

Fewer questions (which is what happens with the tossed sections) means the kids at either end will be disproportionately impacted.  The test will be less sensitive.  Word on the CB street is exactly what you are saying:  blockier scores, less nuance.

It's frustrating.

Doesn't affect us, but wanted to post this in here. According to one of the class action website I frequent, there is a class action in the works for those who took the June test. No info yet, but worth keeping on your radar.

I am sure that had NOTHING to do with their decision to reverse the original "tough cookies" position and offer a free retake.

• Like 1

We expected my son's math score to be higher, since math was expected to be his best section. He had higher math scores in practices. He is going to retake the test in October, especially since he plans to major in physics. I don't know if this throws off any Early Action deadlines?

A tip for those who will retake, I had difficulty finding instructions on the College Board website on how to register for the free test. I finally called College Board and they registered him over the phone. CB is not making the information about the free test offer easy to find. I feel like all affected students should have received an email notifying them that they can take a free test in October.

My dd's June SAT score matched her April ACT score.  It was slightly higher than her October PSAT score.  I really don't have any way to tell whether the tossed sections affected her SAT score.  She's happy with her score and doesn't plan to re-take the test in October.