Menu

June ACT scores

Dd stayed up to check them... she did great - 34! She's very happy. Writing isn't back yet, though.

Soooo much better than the SAT for her, where she did good, but not great.

Other dd took it too, but we won't know how she did till tomorrow - she went to bed. I'm really hoping it's a good test for her, as her SAT retest was that fiasco in June.

• Like 9

We were in the first release this time!

Dd17 received the exact composite score she needed for her scholarship. She is doing the happy dance. No testing her senior year other than the GRE next summer.

Dd15 is not so pleased. She did not get the math score needed for DE, though that was expected. She has another year at home first anyway. And if she doesn't get the score needed on next year's exam she can take the math placement test at the college.

• Like 3

Matryoshka - Congrats to your daughter and you on that fabulous score!

Melissa B - Congrats on the scholarship eligibility for Dd 17!

Dd got scores and is slightly disappointed. She thought she'd do better in English and Reading. I think she did reasonably well for an 8th grader taking it for the first time. She scored  well enough to begin DE courses or go into a gifted & talented program. This was an excellent practice for her, but I know she'll be asking to take the ACT again and the SAT for the first time at some point in 9th grade.

• Like 3

Dd got scores and is slightly disappointed. She thought she'd do better in English and Reading. I think she did reasonably well for an 8th grader taking it for the first time. She scored  well enough to begin DE courses or go into a gifted & talented program. This was an excellent practice for her, but I know she'll be asking to take the ACT again and the SAT for the first time at some point in 9th grade.

Your dd really should remember to take being an 8th grader into account!  My dd is a rising senior, and this was her second attempt.  Makes a difference!! :)  Tell your dd congrats on eligibility for DE and a gifted & talented program - that's success!

• Like 1

Congrats to everybody so far! My twin 15 y.o. dds (now rising sophomores) got their scores this morning before breakfast. One got a 34, the other got a 35 (a difference of 1/2 point separated them). Both perfect scored the same two sections. It was their first attempt at standardized testing, so they/we are definitely happy here today!

• Like 6

Your dd really should remember to take being an 8th grader into account!  My dd is a rising senior, and this was her second attempt.  Makes a difference!! :)  Tell your dd congrats on eligibility for DE and a gifted & talented program - that's success!

I agree, Matryoshka. I've told Dd this from the beginning. Shucks, when I picked her up after the test, I told her that as an 8th grader, she should feel great about just being able to complete each of the sections within time regardless of what score she gets.

Laurie in Life - Those are fantastic scores! Congratulations to you all!

• Like 1

Dd15 is not so pleased. She did not get the math score needed for DE, though that was expected. She has another year at home first anyway. And if she doesn't get the score needed on next year's exam she can take the math placement test at the college.

This is why my DD is taking it as well. They actually let 10th graders in for DE at the local college we were hoping for. She will not be ready for math and science DE classes, but I was hoping to get her English classes out of the way and maybe a forgein language.

Thanks for the heads up on score availability!  What we suspected was true, the math was harder. Similar missed numbers on the scales in the Real ACT book were 1 or 2 points lower for the same number of missed questions in this year's tests.

My son got his, 24 composite, which is a point or two higher than I expected after his practice test scores. It's high enough to do dual enrollment, but he didn't score high enough in the math portion to take a college level math course. Oddly enough he did better on the trig questions than the pre-algebra/elem. alg. I'm thinking he just skimmed them poorly and needs more work on test taking the math.

• Like 1

My son got his, 24 composite, which is a point or two higher than I expected after his practice test scores. It's high enough to do dual enrollment, but he didn't score high enough in the math portion to take a college level math course. Oddly enough he did better on the trig questions than the pre-algebra/elem. alg. I'm thinking he just skimmed them poorly and needs more work on test taking the math.

My son (who completed Algebra 1 this year) also did better on the trig section. I can't figure out why--interesting that your son had the same experience with the trig section vs pre-algebra and elem algebra. I'm not sure what to make of it. He received an A in Saxon, but his algebra score didn't seem to reflect that.

My son (who completed Algebra 1 this year) also did better on the trig section. I can't figure out why--interesting that your son had the same experience with the trig section vs pre-algebra and elem algebra. I'm not sure what to make of it. He received an A in Saxon, but his algebra score didn't seem to reflect that.

My DD had this exact experience in April.  Made me seriously scratch my head since she has done several years of Pre-A- Algebra but I crammed a whole geometry textbook with 1 page of practice for 30 chapters in 3 weeks.  I wish she had done a better job guessing on the trig and geometry questions this time.  Her pre-a/elementary a scores were the highest this time.  Her math dropped a point though, but

SHE MADE A 20!!!!  I know that isn't some to really write home about amongst a lot of kids, but she improved by 3 points from her April test and made the minimum cut off for dual enrollment.  She will have some hoops to jump through to make it through the admission process as a rising sophomore.

• Like 7

Ds, rising senior, was thrilled because he bumped his math score 6 points from last Feb. We,'re a bit puzzled on his composite score though. Average of four scores came to 31.5. Website says they round up, but they gave him a 31 composite. Any thoughts?

24 composite for my 8th grader here. She was pleased which was such a relief after the unrealistic expectations she had for the PSAT which resulted in tears. She has some major test anxiety. We were pleased with this score and know that she can improve it drastically with some more practice and education. She signed herself up for the test just to see how she would score. I am happier about her tackling an uncomfortable anxiety inducing experience on her own than I am about a decent score. I have been pushing her for years to face the things that seem scary head-on and do them over and over so they are less scary. Seems to be working for her.