Menu

Favorite oven mitts or small hands?

idnib

Both set of my oven mitts have given up the ghost. I'm tired of trying to strategically lift burning hot items while avoiding the holes and thin spots.

One pair, which is my favorite, was a  giveaway and they're so old the name has disappeared from the tag. The other pair was from Williams-Sonoma. I bought a replacement pair online last week and they're huge now! I just tried to add homemade beef stock to a stew using the huge mitts, lost control because I didn't have a good grip or view, and spilled half the stock on my stove.

So...favorite mitts, please?

Go to Home Depot or Lowes or any big hardware store and try out their ladies work gloves. Those are quite decent as substitute oven mitts.

My hands are kid size. My DS10 has bigger hands than me. I use a hand towel or potholder for each pot handle. I have a stack of leather potholders from Ikea that work well.

• Like 1

Go to Home Depot or Lowes or any big hardware store and try out their ladies work gloves. Those are quite decent as substitute oven mitts.

My hands are kid size. My DS10 has bigger hands than me. I use a hand towel or potholder for each pot handle. I have a stack of leather potholders from Ikea that work well.

Thanks, I'll check out the work gloves. Yeah, DS11 and I have the same size hands.

I don't know why but I always manage to drop something or burn the back of my hand on the oven when I use potholders or towels. It's like I'm not smart enough to pick up hot things without covering the back of my hand and my wrists.  :glare:

As for working mitts.... do you have kitchen towels or washcloths?  Frankly, I have never used an oven mitt (besides a huge one for reaching into a bread oven) in my life except at my mom's cos that is all she has.  Towels are safer and easier to use IMO.  That's why they use them in professional kitchens.  If you don't need it for show, use a towel. :)

eta oops, didn't see your previous post about towels. sorry!

As for working mitts.... do you have kitchen towels or washcloths?  Frankly, I have never used an oven mitt (besides a huge one for reaching into a bread oven) in my life except at my mom's cos that is all she has.  Towels are safer and easier to use IMO.  That's why they use them in professional kitchens.  If you don't need it for show, use a towel. :)

eta oops, didn't see your previous post about towels. sorry!

I wish I was cool and chef-y enough to just use a towel. Alas, my spatial orientation goes out the window when holding very hot items.

I take it the silicone ones are not as slippery as they look? I always imagine they have the slippery feel of my Silpat.

They won't enhance your decor any, but Ov Gloves work very well for me.  I'm only about 4'10" and my hands are proportionally small.  I can't do anything with mitts.  Having my fingers be able to move more freely in the Ov Gloves really makes a difference.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I have a pair of something like these - but didn't pay as much. They were from TJ Maxx.

Kitchenaid oven mitts

Those look good as well. I can swing by TJ Maxx. Did you buy them recently?

Ov-glove users, how much heat do you feel through them? Do you feel warmth? Could you hold something for a little bit or do you have to hurry to set it down? 

Sorry I'm being so fussy. I hate getting burned. I know everyone does, but I think I have some sort of phobia. I even wear mitts when making scrambled eggs in a pan.  :(

No - silicone is not slippery.  

If you are close to an IKEA, I have a good one from there that was cheap and is about double the size of the small finger ones, but half the size of the full mitt.  The full mitts feel very clumsy to me because they are sort of a stiff material.

• Like 1

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/silicone-pot-holder/206370?categoryId=12614

I have some that are similar to these. They're just a square fabric oven mitt with silicone on one side. The silicone is very grippy and i never feel like I'm going to drop things. My hands are small (I'm 5'0") and I'm always lifting heavy cast iron Dutch ovens out of the oven.

Eta - I think technically the square shape makes them pot holders but mine are the kind where you reach inside like an oven mitt.

If you can, I would go somewhere like bed, bath, and beyond and try some on.

• Like 1

Ov-glove users, how much heat do you feel through them? Do you feel warmth? Could you hold something for a little bit or do you have to hurry to set it down? 

Sorry I'm being so fussy. I hate getting burned. I know everyone does, but I think I have some sort of phobia. I even wear mitts when making scrambled eggs in a pan.  :(

My hands are fairly "toughened" (for lack of a better word) to heat, so take this FWIW . . . I rarely broil anything, but I frequently bake stuff at 450.  And I don't feel any heat when taking those pans out of the oven.  Maybe a little warmth, but nothing approaching hot.

And also FWIW -- I don't like the silicone mitts and potholders.  I've only tried a couple of those products, but they were both so stiff/inflexible that I couldn't get the sensory feedback I needed to feel sure I had a good grip on pans.  But again, gloves seem to work better for me than mitts or potholders.  Having my fingers be able to move freely seems to make all the difference in the world.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

I hit up TJ Maxx. The part I haven't been bothering y'all with is that DH has much bigger hands than I do so I'm looking for him too. But he's not nearly as picky as I am so I found some options for him.While I was there I saw the KitchenAid one mentioned above, but they only had one (of course). It's the one that fit me best so I brought it home. Even if I have to order it's mate online, it's still cheaper to get one at TJ Maxx.

Next stop was supposed to be for an Ove Glove but I ran out of time. I'll try that tomorrow, based on Pawz's feedback.

I was thinking it sounded crazy that I wear mitts for making eggs, but in my defense they were very small (and beloved) mitts. They didn't feel bulky at all and ended just past the wrist. The were only slightly bigger than snow mittens. I've decided they were a giveaway from when I bought my cookware set 20 years ago. In the meantime, gloves have gone from narrow and fitted to mega-sized.

• Like 1